New drummer on board

(63 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by manbitecat
  • Latest reply from otherdemon

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. manbitecat

http://motorpsycho.no/2017/01/20162017/

Bit sceptical about this based on whatI have seen. But nice that its a permanent drummer and not a project like they talked about could be the outcome.

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. gyankumar

Who else could have gotten the job!!!! Motorpsycho gets one of the best drummers in the business. Lets just hope that the almighty YODOK III and ZU will not have to suffer too much. For Motorpsycho I wish that Järmyr will do, what Kenneth did after he joined; to boost up their sound once again and lift them into new dimensions of the never ending psychonaut universe.

Posted 3 months ago #
  3. ThorEgil

Tomas is hands down one of the absolutely best drummers around - This couldn't be better.
    I have put together a few pictures here, from some of his projects that I have seen.
    http://thoregilphoto.com/2017/01/02/2017-01-02-tomas-jarmyr/

Posted 3 months ago #
  4. supernaut

YES!!!!!!!

Never really heard of the guy, though, but I do know me some Zu, that one record with Buzz Osbourne. Holy shit, a Melvins/Motorpsycho connection!?!? I can't be happier. 2016 just had to suck with no more Bowie. It just had to go downhill from there, politically and energetically and it peaked in populism rising and Kenneth leaving. Far fetched? Yup, but you know: global Karma and the lot... Anyways, 2017 gonna be gooooood.

Onasidenote: Still waiting for that Demon Box live 2015 DVD, tho'.

Posted 3 months ago #
  5. Tomcat

Wonderful news, that sounds very promising and exciting! Thanks for all the pictures as well ThorEgil - when is autumn?!

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. ThorEgil

Here in Trondheim autumn tends to come early. Let's hope for May this year

Posted 3 months ago #
  7. juhuuu!! good news everyone

Posted 3 months ago #
  8. Vegard B. Havdal

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Player

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. gyankumar

10. gyankumar

Posted 3 months ago #
  11. ThorEgil

In danger of derailing the thread completely here, but according to legend Tomas Järmyr and Kristoffer Lo went to the cinema and saw the film Yodok Stories about the North Korean concentration camp. Over a beer or five after the film they decided to start a band, and release 15 albums (the original name of the camp is Kwan-li-so (penal labor colony) No. 15). I believe they are about half way there by now.
    Dirk Serries entered the picture with his soundscapes after three albums.
    Their live rituals are quite hypnotic and otherworldly, and absolutely worth checking out if you get the chance.

Posted 3 months ago #
  12. ThorEgil

Tomas Järmyr interviewed by trondheim24.no

Posted 3 months ago #
  13. marc

Having seen ZU live and watched some YODOK footage, I must say that honestly I had hoped for a more straight forward "rock" drummer this time around. not speaking of stupid bookchakboomchak, but with a dedication to drive and groove instead of technical complexity. Let's see what the guys come up with, but i am a little afraid it will be too many notes and not enough song. i'll gladly be positively surprised.

Posted 3 months ago #
  14. ThorEgil

@marc - don't worry, be happy.
    Check out these tracks by Forræderi, one of the more straight forward bands with Tomas on drums.

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. Krist Rampage

This is such good news! I had never heard of the guy nor the band he plays in and i must say i am pleasantly surprised with what i heard so far. Thanks for the link to the interview ThorEgil. I am looking forward to the next album and tour.

Posted 3 months ago #
  16. Seattle Psychonaut

I agree with marc to a large degree. I could dig some more hammer down. This seems more of a side shift percussion-wise. Jarmyr is more in the Kapstad experimental realm than Gebhardt's multi-genre style. That having been said, I'm very excited. While I like some releases more than others I feel that Motorpsycho is a band that has made no mis-steps in their walk through the sonic landscape. New blood alwways seems to bring out the best in Bent and Snah.

Posted 3 months ago #
  17. kjellepelle

Didnt know that Tomas played in Forræderi. Saw them on Dødsdans just a few months ago, when they released their lp. Good band even if Im not that into grind, like their punkier stuff more. But can we hope for a much noiser MP now (Not that KK wasnt noisy, the human octopus )

Posted 3 months ago #
  18. i also checked some stuff out he did and i am very surprised how good he is. i also think that a much noisier style is possible as a new direction, but who knows. he seems to be familiar with a lot of styles. btw. the yodok III recording from roadbrun is just awesome. really looking forward next album and tour a lot

Posted 3 months ago #
  19. Spacebandit

Awesome news!!! This was the message I was waiting for. And can't wait to
    adjust my mics for a spring tour! Hurrah!
    And..hmm...didn't I share recordings of ZU already on Dime?

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. Elvin

Really great news! A jazz(?)drummer who isn´t afraid of dronerockers. I love the record he did with Aidan Baker (of doom/drone/shozegaze band Nadja). Massive!

Posted 3 months ago #
  21. supernaut

I'm thrilled they didn't get a standard rock drummer. They got to travel ever onward, no looking back. From Geb to Kenneth to the future.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. ThorEgil

There is more out there.

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. ThorEgil

And then we have SAW - Eirik Havnes and Tomas Järmyr. An amazing project. The jazz conservatory in Trondheim is like a season of Paradise Hotel - everybody plays with everybody, and the dog. And then releases at least one album.
    Hadn't seen this video before, but I can see myself among the audience.

Funny trivia: This was a double date. The Rhodes piano seen behind Eirik Havnes was played by Ståle Storløkken in a concert with two drummers - Øyvind Hegg-Lunde og Øyvind Skarbø - who called themselves Crab is Crap.

Posted 3 months ago #
  24. ThorEgil

One of the funniest bands I've seen - Doffs Poi.

Posted 3 months ago #
  25. ThorEgil

If we keep Oscar Grönberg on the keys and replace singer Mia Marlen Berg with Saxman Petter Kraft - on guitar. We get The MaXx.

Posted 3 months ago #
  26. ThorEgil

@Spacebandit - Can't find anything by ZU on dime. Maybe they have opted out?

Posted 3 months ago #
  27. doglicksman

First time poster here.

I really do not understand the optimism toward this situation. Maybe you are in denial or your faith is stronger than mine. My two cents would be cautiously optimistical or slightly pessimistic.

I agree that the future is not found by goimg backwards and either getting Geb back (as if...) or replacing Kenneth by a soundalike (if there was such a thing). But when a band has this long a history and so many different eras of excellence to live up to, I do not think that adding a musician that is not available all the time and really seems to have a bit of an attitude problem toward all of this already (judging by what I can understand from that Addresse Avisa-cutting) is a good solution. He answers ever question by saying what he wants to do, how it should be and that he has to do his own thing.

Hopefully I am wrong and you guys are right. But what if I'm not? Remember BH/BC days, boyos?

Posted 3 months ago #
  28. doglicksman

Ah, I see. No dissidents allowed.

Asking questions and being a bit realistic or cautious about a major change is frowned up. Everybody agrees that the new drummer is the best thing that has ever happened, fare thee well to Kenneth (we never liked you anyway) and the next all percussive afro beat album is of course already declared album of the year all across the site, eh. On vinyl that will be sent out a few weeks after release date (still waiting for my AADAP thing on that subject).

Then again maybe you guys know the band personally and do not want any sour grapes (or memberberries) to spoil that relation. Totally understandable. A bit weak maybe, but that is modern life for ya. Have a nice one.

Posted 3 months ago #
  29. BronYAur

Eh?

Posted 3 months ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.