Camp Motorpsycho » General

Begynnelser - The album

(56 posts)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. kjellepelle

Also Rune came through and my copy came yesterday!!

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. Krist Rampage

Sold out at Rune it seems. Really hoping to receive my copy today. Anyone watched the dvd already?

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. supernaut

Got it. Beautiful packaging, grand content. Puts spotify and the lot into its rightful place. Still digging into the music and the play. Listened to the music first, now watching the play, which obviously is the way to go for the "true" experience, The Big Picture so to speak. Opening scenes are amazing, wonderful and irritating.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. kjellepelle

Anyone watched the dvd already?

Checked out the documentary which was ok. Just glanced at the performance, looked ok but of course it was more "heavy" to see IRL.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. Krist Rampage

Yeah that doesn't surprise me Kjellepelle. Always difficult presenting a theatre play on film.

I received my copy today. The packaging is very pretty. Amazing. My girlfiend was in awe too. We're watching the dvd tonight. Good times.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. Junior

They are signing the record at Big Dipper in Oslo tomorrow (10.06):
    https://nb-no.facebook.com/events/1824250717892022/

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. Krist Rampage

So i watchhed the dvd and it was pretty amazing! I love play, really impressive. Good story, brilliant visuals, great actors and of course the music. Wow.

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. GBD

Got my copy yesterday.

Beautiful packaging. Really spices up the record collection. The dvd was good, as expected. Think they really managed to capture the magic of the play really well (I went to see it). And the small documentary was an enjoyable watch.

...but the album itself was a little bit of a downer. Seems to me that they cut all the really cool songs/ideas, and left us with a mellotron showcase album. Where are all the grandiose heavy pieces? The ones which truly showcased this units abilities, and elevated the overall experience so much?

Not complaining. But rather pondering....did they leave these for the next album?

Did any of you who attended the surprise gig with the new material, recognize any of the "play songs" in their set?

Hoping to hear some of that material on the new album! Seems like a shame to....well...let it go to waste (even though it really worked well in the play).

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. Emelic

Mine haven't arrived yet. I think I will have to wait a couple of weeks to listen to it.

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. yesterday i got really into the miniatures of the actual album. haven't seen the dvd yet, so it worked more or less like a strange and beautiful little psychedelic piece.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. otherdemon

My 2 cents:

Beautiful DVD and good, if a bit short, documentary.

The CD is a little abundant because most of the tracks on it
    don't make sense without the visual accompanyment. An exception
    is Gutan i Skogen which is damn beautiful even without
    the forest childhood memory. Other than that, a couple of the tracks
    (Jacques Tati, Dekdektiven...) remind me of those Geb-type B-sides
    from the 90's

@GBD: There are some heavy tracks on here. The ones that open
    and close the play (Buggi i ti), and the one with the drug-frenzy
    video is quite fast and heavy (Røykeburet)
    Too many heavy songs would've taken the focus away from the other
    participants.

I do have a similar problem as boomer though: The cover with the first 10"
    became unglued quite fast, so it hangs sorta loose within the hardcover.
    Gotta be careful, then

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. TAF

So... GBD is talking about the album, while otherdemon is talking about the play? No tracks named Buggi i ti or Røykeburet on the album as far as I can see... and why not? Those pieces were what I was most excited about from the soundtrack, and it's a bit of a bummer that they're not featured on the soundtrack album.

But, since they're the most obvious "song" ideas in the play, I guess they'll end up on the next album instead.

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. otherdemon

@TAF: The liner notes says the songs were recorded January 2016. Maybe those songs
    were written so late in the project they didn't have time to record them?

Personally, I think all those songs are exclusive to this project, so I doubt they'll
    get properly recorded for a studio-album. But color me surprised if they do

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. naur

Maybe they don't want to play the drums that often on the Album...who knows.

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. mikke

The CD is kept in kind of slow, repeative and ambient style all the way. While the play had several more powerful pieces which I liked a lot when watching the show.

I suppose the guys wanted to do it this way, keeping the CD homogenic?

Maybe the more MP like material (in the play) is reused in the
    upcoming September release?

Would be interesting to rip out the music from the DVD and listen to it as a record.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. mybestfriend83

I just could listen only one time to it but man... lol... Just a few instrumentals... And by the way not the best ones... I can't believe people are spending 40-50 euros for that... Believe me i am a motorpsychodelic guy through and through but this is ridicoulus... I did not seen the dvd yet but it must make more sense to me while watching the stage... Sorry guys... 2 of 5 Motorpsychodelic points... I am very dissapointed...

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. kjellepelle

Well it was never an album for the masses, just for psychonauts and people that have seen the performance. Others can wait until next September. Thats why it was ltd.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. naur

It is what it is, music for the play. I like ambient-music very much. I can hear to it and read a book or lay down and listen to it. I like the album, maybe because i hear very various music.

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. supernaut

Ha! I meant to write that, too. "It is what it is, music for the play". Don't see a reason to be disappointed. It's a soundtrack and an art thing, needs therefore a different mindset to digest. By itself the tracks on the vinyl/CD come across somewhat aimless here and there, but that's the point. It's not a jawdropping overwhelming experience, but a restrained wash of fragments. Some cheesy mellotron choirs, too, which I find quite funny. We use those as well in my little band. "Satan" is comically scary.

I've yet to watch the play all the way through. Intromusic (and images) I do find to be a jawdropping overwhelming experience, though.

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. kjellepelle

According to Adressavisen there will also be a book by Carl Frode Tiller called "Begynnelser". The play was based on a early draft of this book.

CF Tiller - Begynnelser

Edit: From Adressa (behind pay wall)

Teatersuksess basert på samme historie

Mange vil kjenne igjen tittel og rammehistorie fra oppsetningen på Trøndelag Teater, sist høst. Motorpsycho skrev musikken og spilte den selv på scenen. Stykket ble en betydelig suksess, og ble også fremført i Oslo nå i juni.

- Regissørene baserte sitt stykke på en tidlig versjon av romanen, men brukte manus som de ville, sier Tiller – som var godt fornøyd med oppsetningen, og godt kan tenke seg å jobbe mer med teater. Men han er ikke i tvil om at det er romanforfatter han først og fremst er, og at det er det han behersker best.

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. supernaut

Chapter 10! Meaning the score underneath "film 3". I hope we get some of this on the next album!

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. DandelionPowderman

I like it, for what it is. The lo-fi production suits the songs, and after repeated listens these tunes are creeping in - like they should. The tunes are merely atmospheric little stubs, rather than actual songs.

With the DVD and the (fantastic) design, I'll give it 4/5.

Looking forward to the new studio album, though.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  23. ThorEgil

@mybestfriend83 and other download enthusiasts - According to @stickfrau on twitter the album will be available from online shops starting August 1st.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  24. mybestfriend83

Thanks thor... Allways the first with news... lol

Posted 1 week ago #
  25. rtv

Great music and movie. However the Packaging falls apart

Posted 1 week ago #
  26. ThorEgil

It's the motorpnakotic fragments in reverse

Posted 1 week ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.