California EP

(43 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by paolinogrande001
  • Latest reply from Rune

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. paolinogrande001

2. Krist Rampage

Excellent! So there are the over four vinyl sides.

Posted 2 months ago #
  3. marc

Expecting some 'cuda-like mini-album.

Posted 2 months ago #
  4. Krist Rampage

I'm not expecting that at all. Could be a suite devided into four vinyl sides, or a few acoustic ditties or even some CSNY covers, who knows? But that's a big part of the fun imo. On releaseday news about another release to get curious an excited about.

I really like Barracuda btw. I still High Times deserves a place on Supersonic Scientists.

Posted 2 months ago #
  5. Rolf

I bought it tonight at the gig in Trondheim. There were no restrictions on how many you could buy, so they've probably made a lot. I saw a guy buy 4 of each version.

The cover art and packaging is very very beautiful and printed on thick cardboard.

Tracklist:
    A. Quick Fix (Sæther)
    B. Granny Takes A Trip (Sæther)
    C. Alain/The Messenger (Sæther/Ryan/Järmyr/Johannes)
    D. California (I'Am So Sold) (Sæther)

[yes, it really says "I'AM", probably a misprint?!]

I haven't listened to it yet, so I can't say anything about the songs.

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. otherdemon

Thanks for the info, Rolf!

How much did the EP cost? 100-150 NOK or something like that?

Posted 2 months ago #
  7. kjellepelle

It costed NOK 150 at shows, but you can get it for the bargain price at €90 on Discogs already

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/532754306

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. mybestfriend83

How long is the california ep..?
    And how much euros are it..? lol

Posted 2 months ago #
  9. otherdemon

150 NOK = approx 16 euros

I'm guessing it's somewhere around 15-20 mins long, it being two 7"s.

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. marc

Nice to see the tribal on it, which appears to be absent on the tower-artwork along with the mp font for whatever reason.

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. Bartok

And how are the songs?

These guys profiting from reselling online is a disgrace. Ugly.

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. mefisto

There will always be sharks reselling records....however the stupid one is the buyer in this case....

Posted 2 months ago #
  13. paolinogrande001

First impressions:

Quick Fix: ca 3'25. Nice enough up-tempo straight rocker. Short but sweet guitar solo.

Granny Takes A Trip: ca 4'05. Heavy bluesy thing straight out of the Manuscripts. Takes a few quiet breakes here and there. Again a nice solo from Snah, this one is longer.

Alain/The Messenger: ca 3:30 Accoustic, psychedelic guitar noodling. On the old 10" eps this would be the Gebhardt track. Kind of pointless, but charming.

California: 3'55. Lovely light accoustic west coast pop.

Posted 2 months ago #
  14. mybestfriend83

Thanks @ otherdemon.. Last question..
    Is it a vinyl or viny and cd or just a cd..?

Posted 2 months ago #
  15. mikke

vinyl only

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. mybestfriend83

Ah thats not good... Cause i have no vinyl player since 2004 lol...

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. Kid A

Actually the font and the tribal have been gone since BTS. Sad

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. doglicksman

Complaints, complaint, complaints...

The guy that only downloads music do not like the format, so he shan't be buying this one either, other people think that æposhfvæiofvæuvb and 'poawhv'oieioehv'ohi'opbjæp'hiæobøp'ihæoøihvp'ouøihl

Get a grip, fellas.

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. Kid A

Get a grip for yourself. Just exchanging thoughts here. Meaning of a forum, isn’t it? And yes, I’m sad that the classical font is gone after 25 years.
    Like, being sad that summers gone now. Doesn’t mean I’m complaining 😉

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. otherdemon

Actually, the tribal is still present on The Tower. On the 2 CD's, however it's so small
    you'll need a big magnifying glass to see it

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. Kid A

Ah ok, not on the vinyl

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. otherdemon

Well, you vinyl freaks got the lyrics at least!

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. Kid A

Yes! Though it think it’s strange, to not include them with the CD. Were they included with the CDs with the past releases? With the HBM vinyl they’re printed on the backcover.

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. otherdemon

The lyrics were included on the HBM CD.

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. ThorEgil

The logo and tribal is still included where it counts

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. Kid A

Great shot! Hardt Rock Iz A Laifschteil!

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. kippenhok

The tribal is also on the vinyl labels; at least on sides 3 and 4 of the sickman gold version

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. otherdemon

Finally I got access to a record player yesterday, and got to listen to this EP.

My impressions (spoiler alert!)

Quick Fix: IMO pretty generic dime-a-dozen rocker that Bent can write in his sleep.
    Didn't give me much, to be honest. And annoying vocals; some vocal effect used on it?

Granny Takes a Trip: More like it! Same bluesy vibe as my favorite song on the Manuscripts, One Way Or Another. Great solo from Snah, as earlier mentioned. Cool laidback blues-rocking vibe, and I wouldn't be surprised if they'll perform it live in the future!

Alain/The Messenger: One chord acoustic/electric drone. To me it actually sounds like unused guitar-tracks from Intrepid Explorer; in the same key and feel, really. Not an immortal masterpiece... And I have no idea how Järmyr got a writing credit on it, because it doesn't sound like he's even on it.

California (I'm So Sold): Lovely acoustic track, would fit right in on LTEC or Phanerothyme. Nice guitar-riff to counteract with the acoustic guitar melody. Beautiful vocals from Bent. Yeah, I like this one quite a bit.

So I love the B-sides on both of the singles
    But it was pretty cheap, so it's nice to have.

Posted 1 month ago #
  29. What a nice gift that EP is! To me it works so well from the first listen. Quick Fix is great. Would love to see it live. Very cool Rocknroll song with great vocals (I disagree with otherdemon here totally ) And the California Song is just cute. Seems like a hommage on the weeks they spent there. Overall it seems to me that this songs are quickly recorded with a alot of fun and good feeling.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  30. Krist Rampage

Bought the ep yesterday and quite like it! The cover is beautiful. Only Alain/the Messenger is not that great imo.

California is a very pretty song. My favorite i think. All and all a very coollittle thingy.

Posted 3 weeks ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.