Camp Motorpsycho » Setlists

2017-10-23 London, Islington O2 Academy

(45 posts)
  • Started 4 weeks ago by Punj Lizard
  • Latest reply from Sleepynaut
  1. Punj Lizard

And so the day arrives when I go to see Motorpsycho for the first time. I'm beyond excited. I'll post a report later.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  2. Halitosis

Is this the biggest venue the band have played in the UK?
    I'm thinking about the gigs I've been to - some terrible pub in Nottingham, The Borderline, The Garage - and they're all quite a bit smaller than 800 capacity. I have missed a couple, mind you, so I might be wrong.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  3. Punj Lizard

@Halitosis - I just looked up the capacity for this venue and it is indeed 800. I do know that in 2014 they played the Jazz Cafe, which apparently holds 420. From memory, the Borderline is smaller (I've been there a few times over the years), as is The Garage, which holds 600. So this might indeed be the biggest so far. To be honest, I should be surprised if it's sold out. It's a tragedy how little known they are over here. I was only just introduced to them a couple of months ago and I've been spreading the word as much as possible because MP are so far beyond pretty much every band out there (that I know of ).

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  4. Punj Lizard

@ Halitosis If you're going tonight, maybe you can help with posting the setlist here later as there's a fair chance I won't know one or two of the tracks. And if you see a bespectacled tall guy in a light brown Magma T-shirt, come over and say Hi.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  5. @Punj Lizard: Enjoy your first concert! Looking forward to the setlist.

Will they go back to the "standard" setlist of the tour which we saw smaller variations of until Bremen, or have they already left this first phase and entered the famous (true) middle part of the tour where they usually peak in energy and creativity?

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  6. Punj Lizard

@ The Other Anders - Thanks. I just cannot wait! I'm sitting at home itching to leave the house and start the adventure ... and the doors don't open for another six hours! Unfortunately there will be one (maybe two) support acts tonight, and the venue has an 11pm curfew, so I don't expect this to be a long gig. Thankfully I'll be seeing them in Köln too in a couple of weeks.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  7. Yes, it's they way it usually works in London, unless you have draw enough to fill the venue all by yourself. Let's hope you're lucky and only get one support band!

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  8. coldnebraskablue

Best I can tell from the poster, the support is a band called Sleep Token - https://sleeptoken.bandcamp.com

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  9. Be

Are they still playing?

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  10. TraktorBass

Longest show ever..

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  11. karnevil9

WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What an incredible experience my first ever Motorpsycho gig. I swear I felt like I was on a trip, this music and the sound and graphics were like nothing I've ever experienced before. Almost impossible to put into words.

They played a lot from The Mountain 6 tracks I think and a few that I didn't know. It didn't matter what the set was, I was not prepared for how they just take you on a journey with their mesmerising jams and the way they build their sound to this complete tripped out Nirvana! It finished with a chill out via pills powders and passion plays and boy did we need it. It felt like i was 22 again post rave. Still not quite come down. One of the best gigs I've ever been at. My mind is blown

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  12. supernaut

And where's Punji? Still at the venue, trembling in disbelief?

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  13. supernaut

How long did they play? How many people? Their reaction? I assume many peeps saw them for the first time due to some reputation...

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  14. coldnebraskablue

Just over a couple of hours, including 1 encore of "Pills Powders and Passionplays". We also got "The Alchemyst", "Upstairs Downstairs", "Stained Glass" and an immense "The Wheel". It was great

Support band were Sleep Token, they were good too, a kind of trip-hop ambient death metal outfit (sorry, it's the best way I can describe it). A few of the crowd knew their stuff.

Probably a couple of hundred people there, so far from busy; lots of room to move about though.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  15. Flippern

Sounds great. Anyone got the setlist?

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  16. coldnebraskablue

Just added it above

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  17. supernaut

nice set!

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  18. TraktorBass

Good to see an update, but yes, where is Punji?

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  19. timtunes

Was there. First MP gig - absolutely loved it. Karnevil9 above describes it best.

Thought it looked a good crowd - yes, not packed but healthy. Can only think the appeal should grow over here - especially with material so strong as The Tower (and The California EP which is playing in the background).
    More MP in the UK please!

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  20. Flippern

Not bad! Nice to see an encore that is not Here be Monsters. The past three times ive seen them live they have played HBM, and I really want to hear something else next time! Hoping for alchemyst or 577 or something for Byscenen in Trondheim this December

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  21. karnevil9

Quite a few ex-pats I think in the audience as lots of Scandinavian language. Was 2/3 full but by the end about half the audience had left, but that's Monday night for you.

Quite a good age range from early 20's to 50's and good mix of both sexes. I thought it would be mostly older.

Amazed Motorpsycho are not bigger here. 1 date for UK is a real shame

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  22. Punj Lizard

What can I say! Not sure where to start. How about un-fucking-believable! Putting it into words, kind of diminishes the brilliance of it, but I'll try.

That was one hell of a gig. Overwhelming to say the least. The sheer no-holds-barred committment to being in the moment, but driving towards an unknown but transcendent destination. Karnevil9 said it beautifully "they just take you on a journey with their mesmerising jams and the way they build their sound to this complete tripped out Nirvana!" Fucking awesome - cannot wait for Köln.

Setlist? My lack of experience combined with my being very stoned last night means there would be gaps and question marks here except that someone already posted on Setlist.fm. However, I have added one question mark here because I thought there was one more track - but I could easily be wrong - I wasn't keeping count

ASFE
    Intrepid Explorer
    Dream Home
    The Alchemyst
    Upstairs/Downstairs
    Ship of Fools
    Stained Glass
    ?
    The Tower
    Bartok
    The Wheel
    Plan #1
    ---
    PPP

I believe they played for a little less than two hours. The audience was woefully thin, which I'm sure must have been disappointing for the band too, and might put them off coming here again. Nobody likes to play to only half-full venues.

Highlights: the whole freaking gig!

ASFE was a great opener. I was already psyched up for this so the energetic explosion of ASFE came on like a glorious late punk anthem and I was very, very close to pogoing (but at 55 my pogoing lacks the energy of years gone by )

Intrepid Explorer - my first experience of the Motorpsycho tripped out jam. This blew my mind - the wall of sound, building by increments of volume, attack, colour, shade, everything. Heaven.

Upstairs/Downstairs - Beautiful, jazzy, trippy. HORN!!!

Stained Glass - I remember it as very laidback and trippy and one of the more luscious and quietly gorgeous moments of the evening. I defintiely swooned.

The Wheel - This was the longest track of the evening (longer than Ship of Fools). And was definitely a serious highlight. Again with the slowly building wall of sound, Kristoffer's persistent keyboard pushing through the surface then sinking back down, while all four members added brick upon heavier brick. Glorious.

PPP - As Karnevil9 says, a much-needed chill-out. A calming, affecting, beautiful ending to the evening,

Loved Kristoffer's horn and keyboards throughout the gig. His guitar was ok - more functional than anything, adding a layer and allowing Snah more room to do his thing. I could have done with Snah being a lot louder in the mix - but that's a minor issue. Hopefully this will not be an issue when I see them next, in Köln.

Tomas was superb - unobtrusive, complimentary, playing with both power and grace.

Being in the presence of Bent and Snah was a bit crazy. In the very short time since I was introduced to Motorpsycho and started to immerse myself in the music and then become rather obsessive with the whole Motorpsycho musical Weltanschauung (as I understand it with my limited experience), these two gentlemen have quickly become mythic figures of my imagination. To actually be there and see them in action was such a high.

This goes down as one of a number of remarkable gigs for me. I'd have to say Hawkwind and Neil Young and Crazy Horse are the only two other acts I can recall seeing play like this. Uncompromising in their dedication to creating a transcedent high not through the precise recreation of superb studio recordings, but through their interpretation as forces of energy, holding as fast as possible to the moment, to the immediacy of the live event. It's sad I never got into this band earlier, it really is. But then again, I'm so fortunate that I've now found them and that I was able to see them at all.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  23. karnevil9

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  24. Punj Lizard

How do I post photos here?

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  25. mybestfriend83

Good to see that you guys were blown away by the Band...

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  26. Spacebandit

Yeah, looks nice. Think it was cut short due to the travel to the A'dam show today, like
    the Bremen show was...ok pure spacetravel...2:35 hours. Think the ongest one was Papenburg
    with 2:55.
    Any tapers there?

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  27. coldnebraskablue

@Spacebandit, London shows pretty much always have an 11:00pm curfew (probably "UK shows...").

Some shots from last night:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154686698051741.1073741962.712326740&type=1&l=0703759edb

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  28. Punj Lizard

@ coldnebraskablue - Great photos. And thanks for posting the setlist.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  29. Punj Lizard

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  30. Punj Lizard

Posted 3 weeks ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.