Posted 8 years ago #
  2. Holle

That will be the next meisterwerk.

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. ThorEgil

And it started a year and a half ago - Adressa

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. Grimr

Anyone know when this can be pre-ordered?

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. just found that entry on stickfrau's twitter account: On the upcoming MP album: "If I believed in God, this would be what he listened to in the mornings when jogging" - C. Sandkämper, journalist

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. Tomcat

Now up for pre-order on jpc's website (no further details yet)

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/home/search?fastsearch=motorpsycho&pd_orderby=score&page=2

Posted 8 years ago #
  7. Elvin

Also from Stickfrau´s twitter:
    "Motorpsycho's "The Death Defying Unicorn" double-album will be out in February...just putting the finishing touches on it now."

Posted 8 years ago #
  8. Crackpot Idea

Stickfrau Twitter:

"What a weird record! (cryptic tweet #1 of 2012)"

Question from chris_rampage: "Any idea when it will be up for pre-order? Really looking forward to it"
    Answer from Jeanette: "VERY soon. Probably Monday? Am just waiting to have no delays confirmed from pressing plant"

Posted 8 years ago #
  9. Krist Rampage

Thanks Crackpot Idea, i was just about to post that Very nice of Stickfrau to give such a quick response. Man, i can't wait.

Posted 8 years ago #
  10. TvdR

Aaahhh... Great news! Beefhearts original Bat Chain Puller finally released by the Zappa Family Trust in ten days (pre-orders open over on Barfko-Swill) and this about a month later: it's already a good year for music!

Posted 8 years ago #
  11. Elvin

Releasedate from Rune G:
    17.02 Motorpsycho with Ståle Storløkken - The Death Defying Unicorn (2CD / 2LP)

Posted 8 years ago #
  12. ant

I some Forum i found a german article about DDU!

http://www.music-liveandmore.com/2012/01/07/the-death-defying-unicorn-neues-album-von-motorpsycho/

Also the cover is shown (very small).

Posted 8 years ago #
  13. Un.Chien.d.Espace

i like this classic cover!

Posted 8 years ago #
  14. yes, like it too. sounds very promising

Posted 8 years ago #
  15. otherdemon

"A Fanciful And Fairly Far-Out Musical Fable". Wee, they're going all-out prog rock on this one! Me likes

Google Translate:

With jazz orchestra and string octet Motorpsycho write as if by accident the rock opera that is so wonderfully far away from the kitsch of the genre, as is humanly possible.

This happy accident began in the fall of 2009 with a simple request to the Norwegian jazz keyboardist Stale Storløkke. The Norwegian Jazz Forum asked for, namely, whether he thought it possible to develop, together with psycho-motor and the Trondheim Jazz Orchestra concert, which together should be listed at the Molde International Jazz Festival 2010.

Since Stale Storløkke and the band were already known for years, but a collaboration never came about, both agreed a welcome into this project. It quickly became clear that all parties concerned with a higher profit and larger stimulus is seen, to write new pieces, instead of old to arrange it differently. After some time now, the idea of ​​development, strings with involvement in the project, which called a string octet, together with master violinist Ola Kvernberg on the plan.

Limitless content, but the project eventually ran into a very open and rough in places, perhaps covered jazzy direction. The two-hour pure instrumental work, which the project is now performed on the scheduled date came, all the players in front of half-baked. To solve this creative nodes, and Motorpsycho Storløkke decided in favor of including the project of revised versions of the pieces, a double LP. And that's a very lucky! Might be expected because even though in 2012 probably no one with a piece of music history, Storløkke and the band have just created a kind. This may sound excessive, but is clear to everyone who hears only a few of the pieces that one sometimes short and sometimes disturbing epic in first and then take in the warm arms. Like a marching band without a head, the project draws on New Year's morning, through a deserted city and driving the frightened drunks in the marrow. Black tendrils grow out of their instruments, which bear at their ends, colorful flowers. They dress up the walls and transform the city into a black-colored maze. Like a Pied us the voice of singer Bent Saether guides you through the gears, though it sometimes appears in the thicket. Swap foreground and background music and clear their seats when we consider only one short of beautiful flowers, a thorny vine takes us rudely from the feet.

This album is a psychedelic and progressive furiosum, soft and hard in equal parts and never predictable. Not associated with any band, hire a couple of strings. This meets a surprise even when viewing the artwork. If the outer shell cool and sober, almost even sobering, so a painting meets the inner guard. Like the music itself is hard to describe, but now takes a prisoner. This must be seen. The finished work should now be listed again live, then we'll meet there. And we remind each other to breathe it.

Posted 8 years ago #
  16. Crackpot Idea

"half-baked"
    Far out, man!

I'm very curious what it will sound like!

Nice cover btw.

Posted 8 years ago #
  17. fillmore

Sounds indeed far far out! Just imagine the live shows to go along with this album -- whoa!

Posted 8 years ago #
  18. Holle

Wow, can't wait.
    That sounds very exiting. The cover is great!
    I'm really curious how they will play this album live as a 3 peace band.
    Maybe at least with Stale on keys?
    I will hope that I'm recovered in april... I would die if I miss this.

Posted 8 years ago #
  19. Ivan

that sound great! i like strings and i like MP so...
    already got some tickest, too!

Posted 8 years ago #
  20. trolland

The tracklist, according to Platekompaniet:

01 Out Of The Woods
    02 The Hollow Lands
    03 Through The Veil
    04 Doldrums
    05 Into The Gyre
    06 Flotsam
    07 Oh Proteus - A Prayer
    08 Sculls In Limbo
    09 La Lethe
    10 Oh Proteus - A Lament
    11 Sharks
    12 Mutiny!
    13 Into The Mystic

Posted 8 years ago #
  21. otherdemon

Oh yeah! Btw, the release date in Norway, according to Platekompaniet, is February 10.

13 songs? Something tells me it's really 3-4 long songs, only spread out over several tracks...

Posted 8 years ago #
  22. TAF

Titles makes it sound like The Rime of the Ancient Mariner meets The Odyssey played by King Crimson circa 1970.

Some quick comments to a couple of the titles:

The Hollow Lands: also the title of a science fiction novel by Michael Moorcock, named after an Ernest Dowson poem.

Limbo is the first circle in Dante's Hell

Into the Mystic is a song and an album by Van Morrison, though I'm assuming MP is releasing an original, not a cover.

The two Proteus songs show a slight connection to King Crimson's In the Wake of Poseidon, where there are three similarly named songs ("Peace - A Beginning", "Peace - A Theme", and "Peace - An End") in an album where Greek mythology plays some part. Of course, King Crimson have also released a song named Lament, and the phrase "bible black" from one of the two unknown MP songs we've heard also point towards King Crimson. As a huge Crimson fan I greatly approve of this!

Posted 8 years ago #
  23. Vegard B. Havdal

I also approve of these song titles, definitely.

Posted 8 years ago #
  24. otherdemon

It looks like a ship and/or incidents on the sea play an important role in the lyrics on this album. Just look at some of the titles:
    Flotsam (floating shipwreck)
    Doldrums (a special part of the Atlantic ocean described in Samuel Coleridge's book "Rhyme Of The Ancient Mariner", among others. Kapstad must be proud of that Iron Maiden reference...)
    Into The Gyre (a circular or spiral form, a vortex [surfer] )
    La Lethe (a river in Greek mythology, several poets have written about it)
    Sharks and Mutiny! kinda speak for themselves

And then there were the lyrics from the Nidaros gig which mention looting and pillage. Maybe it's a concept-album about pirates?

Posted 8 years ago #
  25. ThorEgil

Retweet:

@stickfrau
    Jeannette
    The presale for The Death Defying Unicorn album has now begun on the Stickman website stickman-records.com - spread the word!

Posted 8 years ago #
  26. ThorEgil

next one:

@stickfrau
    Jeannette
    First order in under one minute after announcement - a new record?

Posted 8 years ago #
  27. Tomcat

Yeah!! Very tempting:

"A musical and visual journey on the open sea, this album is one of the wildest that Motorpsycho has ever been involved with. Big, bold and kinda beautiful too."

Also interesting:

Ståle will be joining the band on their 2012 tour, so make sure not to miss it! The first confirmed shows can be found on our tour dates page, and more will be added as they come in.

Posted 8 years ago #
  28. Elvin

Vinyl tracklist on the stickman site:

Tracklist
    Side A:
    Out Of The Woods
    The Hollow Lands
    Through The Veil, part 1

Side B:
    Through The Veil, part 2
    Doldrums
    Into The Gyre
    Flotsam

Side C:
    Oh, Proteus - A Prayer
    Sculls in Limbo
    La Lethe
    Oh, Proteus - A Lament

Side D:
    Sharks
    Mutiny!
    Into The Mystic

Hopefully Rune will open the preorder floodgates soon aswell

Posted 8 years ago #
  29. supernaut

very flashy, very bold, very promising.

Posted 8 years ago #
  30. Rolf

A very satisfying tracklist indeed!

Has anyone from Norway ordered from Stickman before? How much is the postage approximately? Can it be cheaper to preorder from Stickman rather than Rune Grammofon? I need both CD and vinyl

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.