• Started 2 years ago by thewebguy
  • Latest reply from Vortex155

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. thewebguy

An update from the band: http://motorpsycho.no/2015/10/as-one-door-closes/

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. TraktorBass

Will this be the Teknisk Museum-album? If so, hipp hipp hurra! And if not, still hipp hipp hurra.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. Yes, great news!! I waited long for that announcement

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. supernaut

Yee-haw!

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. Kamille

I think it's Oslo live thingey recorded properly in studio, which is cool

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. mikke

let's hope so, the night at teknisk museum was magic, there were rumors about ståle being too busy to join the guys in studio this time, wondering how that was solved

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. Neil Tesor

Apparently they used Invisible Keyboard Player

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Widget

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. Blashyrkh

I think the "Invisble keyboard player" refers to ståle who was too busy to join MP in the studio.
    So probably Teknisk Museum-album

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. ThorEgil

Ståle told me the problem wasn't the studio time. He backed out because he is too busy with his own projects to take part in the tour next year. And I think it was pretty official from Bent that the new album would be based on the stuff from Teknisk museum (but who knows what happens in the studio).

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. cjacob

Om ikke det er Ståle håper jeg det kommer en ny fyr på synth... (Det som blei spilt i Oslo var veldig fokusert på Ståle og Synth.. Så veldig rart han ikke er med)... Men hvem kan det være?...Det bør være en som bor i Trondheim...Ikke mange i Norge som er i klasse med Ståle..Jeg håper jo på Deathprod...... Kan nesten bare tenke meg Øystein Moen eller David Wallumrød som er i samme klasse.. . Blir spennnanes. Jeg håper og tror det er musikken som blei spilt på Teknisk museum. Men litt utvida med noen nye mer vokal baserte låter. Sånn jeg kjenner Bent og MP blir det ikke det samme som blei spilt i Oslo...Det blir utvida og enda bedre.. Blei litt mye prog live ... Men den ene låta dem spilte dær er noe av det mørkeste og bråkete jeg har hørt av motorpsycho noen gang ...Jeg syntes det var enormt bra..

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. bato

Well, Øyvind Brandtsegg HAS been working on computer-controlled pianos and organs ...

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. fuzzrules

Here be Monsters/Demon Box
    Book/Book
    An adventure involving magic, trolls, and other creatures/Demons

Anybody else intrigued by these parallels? Or is it just...

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. Elvin

14. mybestfriend83

YES !!! This is very simple but it makes me waiting for the Record...

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. supernaut

Bats stole me rupee! Instant like.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. i like that simple style very very much. very good artwork, indeed

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. TraktorBass

Here be Timothy's Monster:

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. Elvin

haha yes indeed, I suspect a die cut cover or some fancy spot varnish effect, but very cool nevertheless

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. tkm

20. Neil Tesor

So, single LP with "Monsters" on side A and two songs on side B?

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. Elvin

3 songs? Oh no, hopefully not
    More like:

A:
    Here be droney first song (4:04)
    Here be twingitar-with-taurus-motorprocker feat. here be sonic youth noise break (8:08)
    Here be psychorock (5:77)
    Here be quiet Snah song (2:32)

B:
    Here be darkness (6:66)
    Here be hancock (0:59)
    Here be monsters (13:49)

Approx 40 excellent minutes.

Damn, this record is gonna be great!

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. Un.Chien.d.Espace

Songtitles: "Here", "Be" & "Monsters"

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. TraktorBass

I am really, really excited for this release, more so than any since Heavy Metal Fruit. The gig at Teknisk Museum was incredible, and if they keep 50% of the atmosphere from those tunes, this will be absolutely killer.

For the people who were at the Byscenen-gig and heard the Teknisk Musem-gig, how did the Monster-tune compare?

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. supernaut

great one, Elvin!

though I hoped for more than a single 40mins record.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. naur

Some new(?) Infos on Rune:

http://www.runegrammofon.com/artists/motorpsycho/rcd2179-motorpsycho-here-be-monsters-lp-cd/

Hold tight, for this is the zenith of the band´s motorpsychodelic tendencies, with emphasis on the blissful and melodic, but still an intense rollercoaster ride all of its own. Here Be Monsters started life as a commission for the centennial jubilee of the Norwegian Technical Museum in November, 2014. The music was written for the expanded version of Motorpsycho that features everyone's favourite keyboardist Ståle Storløkken (Elephant9, Supersilent, Terje Rypdal, etc.). Performed just once, this music clearly had more life in it, and while Ståle’s commitments meant he had to pass on making an album out of it, Bent, Snah and Kenneth have turned it into a full-blown Motorpsycho project. There are five of their own compositions, from the tantalising piano intro (Sleepwalking – and its equally brief reprise Sleepwalking Again) to the expansive and stunningly scenic 17-minute adventure – another rollercoaster! - of the closing Big Black Dog, via the serene beauty of Lacuna/Sunrise and Running With Scissors, and the pulsing, pounding I.M.S. Motorpsycho also felt it was the perfect occasion to record one of their favourite psych nuggets of old; their take on HP Lovecraft’s version of Terry Callier’s Spin, Spin, Spin adds a new, slightly sinister vibe to the old folk tune, which offsets and complements the grandiose cinematic sweep of their own songs. Co-produced, engineered and mixed by long-time co-conspirator and fellow sonic explorer Thomas Henriksen, who also plays keyboards on the album, Here Be Monsters is Motorpsycho’s most hi-fi, headphone-friendly music yet, taking you closer to the songs’ themes.

Released 12.02.16

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. Tomcat

Goosebumps!

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. yeah

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. paolinogrande001

Spin, spin, spin by H.P. Lovecraft:

https://youtu.be/oDjn7E_NUF0

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. TAF

And the Terry Callier original:

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Widget

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. TAF

Haven't seen this (long) piece before:

http://www.backstage.eu/veranstaltungen/live/item/motorpsycho

--- --- ---

MOTORPSYCHO – Here Be Monsters CD/LP/Digital
    Catalogue Nr: Psychobabble 083
    Release date: 12.02.2016

Here be monsters started life as a commissioned work for the centennial jubilee of the Norwegian Technical Museum in November of 2014. The music was written for the expanded version of Motorpsycho that features everyone's favourite keyboardist Ståle Storløkken (Elephant9, Bol, Supersilent, etc.), and was partially developed with him in the months leading up to the concert. Performed just once, this music clearly had more life in it, and when Ståle, due to other commitments, had to pass on making an album out of it, it turned into a full-blown Motorpsycho project. Most of the basic tracks were recorded in Nidaros studios in Trondheim in February 2015, but more music was added to the original batch all year, until the album found its final shape in November when it was mixed. A long process, but ultimately a rewarding one as the long, stretched-out production period let the band really consider and evaluate all the musical minutiae even more thoroughly than usual.

Musically the album has, perhaps due to its provenance, turned into a somewhat less rockist proposition than usual, but those who like their psych motorpsychodelic will most likely find much to like in this album. In addition to five of their own compositions, the band also found this the perfect occasion to record one of their favourite psych nuggets of old, and their take on H.P.Lovecraft’s version of Terry Callier’s ‘Spin Spin Spin’ fits in well with their own compositions, adding a new, slightly sinister vibe to the old folk tune and offsetting and complementing the grandiose sweep of their own songs perfectly.

Make no mistake - this is cinematic psych to the max, and while neither a double album nor exactly a brand new musical tangent in the Psychoverse, the cinematic qualities of Motorpsychodelia have never been explored this thoroughly on vinyl. Co-produced, engineered and mixed by long time co-conspirator and fellow sonic explorer Thomas Henriksen, the album is also a new personal best for Motorpsycho in the hi-fi stakes. This is headphone music designed to tickle your aural pleasure centers.

But not to worry - while it may not be about the big, dumb rawk this time around, it sure isn’t easy listening either!
    Where the museum version lyrically focused on history and time, this new, revised version looks at other aspects of life. It is perhaps not a jubilant celebration of existence as such, but it tries to put words together that in concert with the music hopefully might shed a little light on the human condition as seen from Trøndelag in the second decade of the second millennium by grown men in a juvenile profession. (Let confusion reign!)

Where Lacuna/Sunrise perhaps looks at some of the lesser proud moments in a man’s life, and I.M.S. (inner mounting shame) mainly discusses the humiliation and distress that often rides in tandem with such lapses in judgement, Big Black Dog addresses the long dark night of the soul that the weeks and months of near total winter darkness often lays upon those who live in near arctic conditions. The inside often mirrors the outside, and those months do tend to get rather too dark for some of us…

Motorpsycho realise that the map never is fully explored and that you venture into the unknown at your own peril, be it in your head or out there in the world. This album is both a recognition of the urges that drive us and a testimonial to their effect on our lives. It is Motorpsycho in effect taking a long look into the abyss, and as such might be termed exorcist music: going deep to drive the darkness out, yet all the while understanding and accepting that what you find is - while not always pretty - real and true and a part of us all.

‘When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back’, F.Nietzsche
    ‘Better out than in’, Granny LeBad
    ‘Here be monsters’, Motorpsycho

Posted 1 year ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.