Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alternatives to MP

Posted by Andreas 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Alternatives to MP
July 11, 2005 05:21PM
For a long time Motorpsycho was one of my favourite bands (and I think it's still the ONE) but now, after that big gap between two records and all the changes within the band, I was wondering if there are any alternatives? Any other bands which could be kind of methadon for the MP-addict?

I just discovered that "The Mars Volta" are really really awesome considering the kind of music they play and the creativity. There were certain predjudices because I was told:

"NO! They are definitively tooooo loud and stuff.

I'd just like to know what the normal MP-fan likes and listens to (MP of course, but what else????????)
jonne
Re: Alternatives to MP
July 11, 2005 05:25PM
any comments on the new jaga album?
Andreas
July 11, 2005 05:47PM
If been to gig they played a month ago in London (Mean Fiddler) and it was really really good. I never bought a Jaga Album before so I didn't know what to expect but they blew me away.

The new album is quite different to the stuff they've released so far but it's actually an hour of leaning back 'n chill out. Almost like the line in "the other fool":

"...let's get some weed and chill out to pink Floyd ..."

What do you think about it JONNE?
July 11, 2005 06:07PM
mars volta among the contemporary bands, they can def. compete with MP (at least live) & among the classics you won't need to look further than for the grateful dead. imo.

--alex
July 12, 2005 10:35AM
Here's a list of bands i've found comfort in listening to in the absense of MP;

* Sonic Youth (Kick ass band)
* Godspeed you! Black emperor
* Mogwai
* Tortiose (another kickass band)
* DO make say think (yet another one)
* Tarental
* Can
* Sigur Ros
* Jaga Jazzist (The last album is abit more pop oriented,though still a good one)

At this very moment i've got "Drug thing" rocking its way through my ear channels...GOD i miss mp!! Though with the bands listes above as worthy substitutes, the wait is bareable. Check 'em out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2005 10:37AM by The Golden Blissard Demon.
Paolino Paperino
July 12, 2005 10:47AM
Well well well...

Mars Volta are simply G R E A T, no doubt on this....listening to their music is like having Led Zeppelin + Carlos Santana + Sun Ra playing in your room...great musicians, great psychedelic-attitude and great musical fantasy...

But there are many alternatives to MP, so i can suggest a mini-list of groups and artists...

*** Stephen Malkmus - MP are fans of Pavement, and S. Malkmus is the natural evolution of them....

*** The Coral - very young, very great....pop-folk-rock made with a look to the 60's ....and sometimes really psychedelic

*** Sonic Youth - of course....immortal...

What do you think of them?
scottish guest
July 12, 2005 04:21PM
macrocosmica from scotland winking smiley
www.macrocosmica.org.uk
smiling smiley
July 12, 2005 06:31PM
Definitely "And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead"! Their latest album Worlds Apart is a real smasher.
jtr
July 12, 2005 11:45PM
The predecessor of "Worlds Apart", "Source Tags & Code" is even better. Trail of Dead rocks, yes.
~
i can also recommend one of the best band out of the benelux states, dEUS, with a new album out in September (after a six years wait...hope it was worth it!)

and of course The Flaming Lips, like dEUS and Motorpsycho, the always tried out new things and chose new musical paths. The Lips got better album per album, reaching the peak in 2002 with "Yoshimi battles the Pink Robots" (or, according to me, in 1995 with "Clouds taste Metallic" - more noisy, less electronic, and I'd say more genious). Also a new album is in the making. Yeeh.
~
Secret Machines are a good, progressive new band..
~
I guess you all know the Velvet Underground and the supreme musicians John Cale and Lou Reed... if not, check out Cales solo work. Very diverse but always great.
Come to speaking, other standards are of course Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart, long known as MP influences.
~
as for the country side I can only recommend the great late Gram Parsons and his several bands - The International Submarine Band, The Flying Burrito Brothers, The Byrds.
also worth listening to is his partner in crime, Emmylou Harris. And the Allman Brothers Band. and Im going to sleep now.
July 13, 2005 11:11AM
I don´t know but I think Mars Volta is just not as "listenable" as MP. They are perfect musicians and all but I miss the meldodies there.
July 13, 2005 03:20PM
The latest Mars Volta - Album "Frances the Mute" is quite listenable i reckon. Ok, it took me 3 to 4 times till I realised the nice and melodic parts which are extremely well created like the last 6 min of the first song (sounds great "last 6 min of the last song", the majority of music bands don't even do 6 min-songs, do they?

Or track 8 "uuuuhhhh". I really like the "the air is growing cold cold cold...and there's nothing you can do"-part and the following guitar thing. WOOOOOOW!

I don't really have other alternatives but other bands I like which are quite MP-unlike, it's easier structured.

- bright eyes
- Calexico
- little Barrie (the 60's flair is just so nice)
- Nick Drake (and all of the older stuff Beatles, Kinks)
- Pavement (the double LP "Crooked Rain" sounds sooo easy going -> heaven is a truck, stop breathing and Co.)
-Radio Dept. (the opener of their debut is lovely)

- and "The Shins" are another good example of 60's like music from today "New Slang"= mellow song to relax and breath out whatever you want

Thank all of you for the new bands you've mentioned, I'm going to try them today---> vIRGIN MEGASTORE is a good place, he he!

ANDREAS
jtr
July 13, 2005 06:35PM
Calexico, yeah. Theyre gorgeous. And so is Giant Sand, the band from which they evolved. Ive seen the latter live in june, and it was totally great. Also, they are really nice guys. I always love it when I get to meet the band. I will hopefully see Calexico this month in Vienna. Looking forward to it.

Lets see, what else does quite a bit sound like MP?
Well, I suggest checking out the other Stickman bands, they are all great, and have all quite strong own styles - Isolation Years, KVLR, Brazen, Favez, TSOOL, I love them all.

~
Virgin Megastore is a good place? not sure 'bout that.. clearly, their assortment is extensive - but also expensive! smiling smiley
July 14, 2005 12:04PM
Also, check out the band "Three Fish". They got 2 albums, the second one is a little better in my opinion. It´s a side project of Pearl Jam´s bassist Jeff Ament. Kinda spiritual stuff with an oriental touch. The band made a trip to Egypt and that sorta influenced them to make that music...
TvdR
July 14, 2005 01:59PM
Hey all!

Firstly: Daniel - Wasn't that 'Three Amoebas', or am I confusing them with the side-project band with bassist Flea? My memory these days...

What am I currently grooving to? Uhmm...

* Tori Amos - (re-)discovered her lately, especially the first three albums (Little Earthquakes/Under the Pink/Boys for Pele). What a musician.

* The Dillinger Escape Plan - meticulous mathcore, check out their EP 'Under the Running Board' (7 minutes, 3 songs, minds blown forever).

* Fantômas - "supergroup" constructed by Mike Patton featuring Dave Lombardo, drummer of Slayer.

* The Residents - great band of anonymous misfits; confusing the masses since the seventies.

* Led Zeppelin - Hammer of the Gods, still undiminished.

* Captain Beefheart - remains a favourite.

* Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - the original bluesband from England with the guitarist about whom BB King said: "The only white bluesguitarist that made me break out in a cold sweat". Listen to 'The Original Fleetwood Mac'.

* The Stooges - 'Raw Power' is just as in-your-face as you can ever hope to get.

* King Crimson - always an inspiration; currently heavily into 'Starless and Bible Black' and the live-set 'The Great Deceiver'.

* Kraftwerk - just saw their concert: didn't know I could be entertained by 4 men with 4 consoles.

This list of faves doesn't change much I gather, I seem to be going in circles. Hey, at least I know what I like! :-)

Greets,

Thomas
theOtherOtherNils
July 14, 2005 02:11PM
How about doing some "Your most favorite Band/artist beside MP"-poll?
Maybe somebody could put this like jtr did on his website with some kind of counter.

It could work this way
Most favorite artist beside MP: 5points
Second favorite artist ...: 3points
Third favorite artist ...: 1point

It would be really interesting to see what bands most of you prefer, because there are so many different tastes among the MP-fans!!!

July 14, 2005 03:24PM
Good idea but I think it'd be better in 5 point steps, wouldn't it? It's going to be hard again 'cause who can tell you his\her 3 favourite bands without hesitating?

1. The Mars Volta
(mostly because I recently discovered them by "accident" and spent 6 days listening to "Frances the mute" without allowing any other band to disturb the flow)

2. Pavement

3. Bright Eyes

(It's going to change soon...)

@ JTR: I just like the possibility of listening to stuff I don't know inside the VirginMegaStore without buying the records and trying them at home just to realize that I don't like them. The prices are quite expensive, ohhhhh yes!!!! but fortunately there are enough little tiny shops in the city which sell them for a fair price.
TvdR
July 14, 2005 03:46PM
I forgot to name one of my essential faves: APHEX TWIN - The guy who finally made me admit that some electronic music can be music too.

Would be a nice idea, that poll. We shall see.

Now I have to go break my head on that list grrr... ;-)

Greets,

Thomas
stngrd
July 14, 2005 08:32PM
Fucking incredible that none has mentioned TOOL, whats wrong with you guys????

best band ever! (well, apart from MP...)

hade
jtr
July 14, 2005 10:35PM
@stngrd: nobody mentioned TOOL, but I mentioned TSOOL - The Soundtrack Of Our Lives. smiling smiley

@Andreas: I know, I was just liked that wordgame. Virgin Megastore is indeed good to browse and try out albums. ... Its a pity that I have to order nearly everything I wanna buy. Thank god, these days most bands and labels put some tryout-audio files on their website

@Nils: Such a poll would be a fine idea, but how to work that out?

~

Aphex Twin is indeed great. And I like Squarepusher a lot, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2005 10:37PM by jtr.
July 15, 2005 02:48PM
1. Pink Floyd
2. Ozric Tentacles
3. Porcupine Tree
Back to Motorpsycho home page