Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

mp material on the web

Posted by lars 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
mp material on the web
October 16, 2005 01:39PM

for me wilco is one of the best bands around today. They also use the internet in a very cool way. at their webpage (www.wilcoworld.net) they have a section called "roadcase" where they put out music. it has been unreleased songs, demo songs, live etc.... it would be cool if mp did something like that. think of all the good live stuff that they have. since a new roadwork seem to take some time it would be cool if they could put out 2-3 songs or even a stream concert at stickman or at this page. or even better; 1 demo song from their next record. i am very curious about what it will sound like

i don't know if this has something to do with mp's view, if they don't want to have some stuff at their webpage. jeff tweedy (from wilco) see internet as a new tool. he says in interviews that wilco is a band based on live gigs and communication with their fans. the same is it with mp i think. wilco will be putting out a live record soon and if you pre-order it you can download a song from it when you order it. they do this cool things. i think Broken social scene also do something like that. if you order the album from the record company you can download it at the same time so you can listen to the album while you wait for the record to come in your mailbox. it's really a cool thing. you get to hear the album on the release day and you can order it and support their record company. it would be a win-win situation for Stickman, mp and the fans. btw; bss new album is great.

Re: mp material on the web
October 17, 2005 07:48PM
i wholeheartedly agree. they have not yet embraced the medium despite its massive chances for more interactivity between the band & the fans. there is certainly still a lot to be done here.

then again, it's probably a question of manpower. i mean, they haven't even got a site of their own. they would need at least one or two people to ceate/maintain/communicate their platform. since stickman's roster of artists has been diversified tremendously they would most likely not be able to handle the extra work. and i doubt the band has the budget to put new people on the pay-roll right now.

however, for starters they could pull off a phil lesh: choose any great concert-recording that will definitely not make a RW-release (because of being incomplete or minor flaws/cuts), have pidah or snah rough-mix it so that it just meets the most basic sonic needs & release it via bt.etree.org, [url]http://www.archive.org/audio/[/url] (!!!) or motortrades. that'd be a nice, cheap & easy gift to the scene.

--alex

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2005 07:50PM by fillmore.
October 18, 2005 01:43PM
I can only speak for Stickman here:

In Germany, the GEMA (the official mechanical rights organization) makes it almost unaffordable to put downloads or streams on a website. They are currently out hunting down labels and bands that offer out streams or free downloads and are hitting them with huge fines - the rumors are saying Euro 25000 per song! :-0

And since the GEMA only seems to recognize a stream of maximum 45 seconds as being "for promotional use only", they are making it impossible (or very risky) for small companies and bands to put longer pieces of music for free on their websites. We removed all streams from our website until we get official information from the GEMA about how we can continue to provide the service in an affordable manner.
October 18, 2005 02:45PM
man, that is really fucked up. thanks for the information j., i haven't seen this being discussed before.

--alex
akane.
October 19, 2005 09:29AM
Oh, such kind of things is going in Germany...
We also have very strange things against music on the web or import CDs (it was a huge things among people love music and was real big tipic last year... and now we, in japan, almost of all record companies except one, decided not to make CCCD anymore, this is another thing here, but anyway) and so on here, too, but it's very defferent from ecah countries' situation. Interesting, but I also very znxiouns about those things...where it will going to be?
KK
October 19, 2005 09:30AM
Mechanical rights, what does that mean? Unless there's something obvious I've missed out on here, this is the most ridiculous thing I've heard for a while. Artists can't put their own works out for downloads or streams?
October 19, 2005 11:04AM
Mechanical rights means copyright money, basically. When a label presses an album, they have to register the songs with one of these organizations. Then the label pays this organization a certain amount per pressed CD, depending on the length of the record and how many songs are on it. The purpose is to protect the songwriter's rights. The organization keeps some of the money for the administration, and sends about 80% on to the songwriter. Radio and TV stations also have to pay for songs they broadcast, and most clubs have to pay for the songs the bands play live as well. It's an important source of income to all bands.

That is the good side. The bad side is that the GEMA (here in Germany) takes the position that not even bands have the right to PLACE THEIR VERY OWN MUSIC ON THE INTERNET FOR FREE. That is just....wrong.

Of course alot of labels & bands will continue to do so. But we just recently received several warning mails being sent around Germany, because it seems like the GEMA currently has nothing better to do than to go out looking for label & band websites offering out free downloads and streams, and fining them alot of money.

Oh, they also make ALL doctors and dentists pay a monthly fee for music in their waiting rooms....even if there is no stereo or radio in the office! :-0
October 24, 2005 10:30PM
fillmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>>
> however, for starters they could pull off a phil
> lesh: choose any great concert-recording that will
> definitely not make a RW-release (because of being
> incomplete or minor flaws/cuts), have pidah or
> snah rough-mix it so that it just meets the most
> basic sonic needs & release it via
> bt.etree.org, (!!!) or motortrades. that'd be a
> nice, cheap & easy gift to the scene.
>
> --alex
>
> Do you think this example could be defined as illegal by GEMA? When we're speaking of "loosely labeled" live material. If that is the case they must be operating by monster rules.
Clubs paying for live songs, band plays a medley and two covers, boy what a mess.

> Keep on rocking in the market-regulated world
>
>
Bartzl
October 25, 2005 01:15AM
quote stickfrau:
Oh, they also make ALL doctors and dentists pay a monthly fee for music in their waiting rooms....even if there is no stereo or radio in the office! :-0

Hmm.. So if I attend a German dentist, I'd better pay this dentist a shitload for playing a bad-ass MP song, while he takes a teeth out of me...

Sounds like a cultural Politburo or somethin'.. Just buy those people out..
Seattle Psychonaut
October 25, 2005 08:46AM
I have wondered why MP has not released archive material. Like the Grateful Deads Dick's Picks. I have an interveiw somewhere where Bent said that is sort of what he hoped to do with Roadworks. It could be turned over to some qualified fan. Someone to archive and categorize the shows and start rollin' em' out. Afew every year.
Here in the states (they may do this in Europe. Probably started there) you can go to a show and purchase a copy of that show and have it in a week. How cool is that? It should be simple to do the same for MP.

Here's hoping.
Seattle Psychonaut
JC
October 25, 2005 12:50PM
Ein Steina Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Do you think this example could be defined as
> illegal by GEMA? When we're speaking of "loosely
> labeled" live material. If that is the case they
> must be operating by monster rules.

It wouldn't be GEMA's position to say it's illegal to put the music online, but it would be their position to say it's illegal to put it online without paying the mechanical rights. Whether they would go to the trouble of finding out who put it online? No idea....but if they did, the responsible person could theoretically be hit with a huge fine.

> Clubs paying for live songs, band plays a medley
> and two covers, boy what a mess.

Sometimes it is a mess. But most of the time you can assume that there is no GEMA official at the show keeping track of what a band is playing. :-)

October 25, 2005 01:01PM
re: RW release frequency vs DP's

one possible answer could be:

bent cares too much. it's as if he will never "let go" of the artistic control over pretty much everything concerning MP, including live releases. sometimes he appears to be this overly maniac artists with a clear vision who wants to be in total self-control. i am sure snah & geb wouldn't care as much but bent is too possessed to flood the market with live-recordings he isn't a 1000% content with.

i do regret it as much as you, jeff. the re-vitalisation of the RW-serious (including a steady release-frequency) could do so much to the myth-&-legend building surrounding the band. it would gain them so much recognition, i am convinced.

at least they could remove the introduction-message on the backcover of vol I ("new volumes will be added..."winking smiley on future pressings, so as to not dissappoint future buyers.

--alex

Back to Motorpsycho home page