Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bent the stew-maker

Posted by I love stew 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I love stew
Bent the stew-maker
February 19, 2007 12:41PM
Motorpsycho played their version of "Tunji" by J. Coltrane with Jaga Jazzist in the 2002 Moldejazz concert. On the original album, "Coltrane" (1962), we also find a song titled "Up 'gainst the wall", which share title with a MP song found on Barracuda EP.
Any more examples of such?
Mountaintop
Re: Bent the stew-maker
February 19, 2007 12:49PM
Well, I thought of something when I heard Crosby, stills and nash and youngs 4 way street where between two songs someone says "Sheer profoundity" and earlier on the album they sing "How was I to know" and I`m sure there are more examples I found on this record, but I can`t seem to remember them know...
February 19, 2007 09:08PM
take the wheel of the world and drive! on the wearing yr smell ep, from the sonic youth's sister...

hey, jane has something in common with hey joni from SY (and obviously hey jude)

the rain king into STG (hey, it's referred to Guinevere by CSN&Y again...) is obviously another citation of the Daydream Nation song...

but we could go on for ages with all the songs references int o MP's universe...
February 20, 2007 09:19AM
.and we also have dEUS "SERPENTINE".....
February 20, 2007 07:53PM
There once was a band called "SNAFU" but I don't know if the song by MP is reffered to them...
Un.Chien.d.Espace
February 20, 2007 07:54PM
snafu means "situation normal, all fucked up" and is a military slang....
FPB
February 21, 2007 11:56AM
"Pills, powder and passion plays" is a direct quote from the song "Coyote" by Joni Mitchell from the album "Hejira" (1976)
February 24, 2007 09:59AM
Supersonic Scientist is from the very early Genesis album "Foxtrot".

He's a supersonic scientist,
He's the guaranteed eternal sanctuary man.
Look, look into my mouth he cries,
And all the children lost down many paths,
I bet my life, you'll walk inside
Hand in hand,
Gland in gland
With a spoonfull of miracle,
He's the guaranteed sanctuary man.
We will rock you, rock you little snake,
We will keep you snug and warm.
Dr. X
March 03, 2007 08:55PM
Gaspa Wrote:

> the rain king into STG (hey, it's referred to
> Guinevere by CSN&Y again...) is obviously another
> citation of the Daydream Nation song...

the guitar tuning used on Guinevere (CSNY) is the same as on Vortex Surfer and a few other songs (EBDGAD i think).. and the guitar intro to STG is quite a bit similar to some guitar playing on Guinevere..!

> "Pills, powder and passion plays" is a direct quote from the song "Coyote" by Joni > Mitchell from the album "Hejira" (1976)

cool, i didn't know! and the "sub-title" to PPPP is "Miss Mitchell In The Ladies Room" (see the inside cover of AADAP) - and i think i read somewhere that the song is kinda about what happened backstage during/after The Band's Last Waltz concert (where Joni is present)...

yeah, the references are endless, and often subtle...
VBH
March 04, 2007 08:36PM
FPB
March 05, 2007 11:34AM
S.T.G = Sonic teenage Guinnevere, as in the first lines of the lyrics.
Dr. X: Yeah, I've heard about the cocaine-room on the backstage of the Last Waltz. I've also heard that the cocaine traces were so obvious and easy to see in Neil Young mustache that they had to edit the traces in every still frame of him during his entire performance of "Helpless". Pardon my fombling English.
March 05, 2007 05:40PM
What about Manmower and the Mc5 song "the human being lawnmower"?
March 05, 2007 07:06PM
There was a really great psych/prog band called East of Eden that released an album called SNAFU in 1970. Their debut album from 1969 "mercator projected" is in my opinion one of the ten best in its genre form the late 60's. Check it out! I wouldn't be surprised if some members of motorpsyco have listened to those albums.
FPB
March 06, 2007 11:54AM
Jan Tore: There is no doubt that Motorpsycho are big MC5-fans. F. ex "Black to comm" on Roadworks vol. 1 and the song "High Time", which share the name with MC5's third(?) album.
March 15, 2007 06:02PM
lawnmower betyr gressklipper
March 20, 2007 06:11PM
Who knows...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2007 06:22PM by The Golden Blissard Demon.
FPB
March 21, 2007 02:43PM
Is this a known fact amongst Psychonauts?: A K9-suite. K9= Canine= latin for dog.
andrea
March 21, 2007 03:00PM
cardboard cut-out off fury on earth is a beefheart's tune
March 22, 2007 04:50AM
Someone (not me) has to start a list of all the known and rumoured references, musically and lyrically. Seems like a lifetime task, but would be quite interesting.
March 22, 2007 09:47AM
Yes, FPB, I think alot of people know. The K9-suite starts with the AADATP song "un chein déspace". Chein means dog.
Back to Motorpsycho home page