Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Emerson Lake & Palmer

Posted by halfjud 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
halfjud
Emerson Lake & Palmer
July 26, 2007 11:35PM
hey guys,

I've been recently discovering Emerson Lake & Palmerl, and after a few weeks of complete listening, I they had a lot of influence on Motorpsycho, especially for their live performances.

What d'you all think about?
Re: Emerson Lake & Palmer
July 27, 2007 12:41AM
sure ?
don't think so
anyway...
July 27, 2007 01:52PM
Ooff, when it comes to prog, I'd say King Crimson is the more obvious influence. Check their live stuff from 72-74 such as The Great Deceiver Box Set or The Night Watch.
halfjud
July 27, 2007 08:38PM
I am not talking about music, but for the live act of the ELP early period, they really look like Motorpsycho.
The first album of ELP is something I recommend to every psychonaut, especially "The Barbarian" and "Knife Edge".
July 28, 2007 12:10AM
ELP is grand! Keith Emerson is one hell of a organ/keyboard player, and Carl Palmer sure knows his drumming. But i can't seem to figure out the relation to MP which you're talking about (apart from ELP being a trio).
halfjud
July 28, 2007 12:51PM
of course it's a trio, but there's also :
- technic (as MP, they all have higher skills)
- look/style (not the hippie style...)
- spaceout jams
- bass sound
- prolific discography, like one album a year
- 20' songs

Attention psychonauts, I'm only talking about the pre 'Brain Salad Surgery' period (1970 - 1973).
Prog rock had definitley some influence on MP. See Thimy's monster and AADAP.
I'm not saying it's the same music, but I know MP very well, and I'm discovering ELP since a few weeks. I find a lot of similarities, a bit the same as for Led Zeppelin.
July 28, 2007 09:46PM
Sorry, I'm really not getting your point. winking smiley Is it the music, or the looks... or?

But do you know King Crimson's "The Great Deceiver Box Set" or "The Night Watch"? Featuring John Wetton and not Greg Lake anymore on bass & vocals but that's the point anyway since John's and Bent's styles are so close. I hardly know ELP but MP's travels into prog, something nobody seriously can deny, can definitely be backtracked to those KC live records. Compare Bent's playing with John Wetton's on tracks like "Easy Money" or "Larks' Tongues in Aspic". And not only did MP cover their "Starless", they also quoted it quite obviously on the K9 suite during Astral Travelling and it's intro guitar line surfaces as the fragile guitar interlude in "Vortex Surfer".

i will give those early elp things as mentioned a listen though...
halfjud
July 29, 2007 05:05PM
well, I could be wrong, but 'K9 Suite' isn't some sort of tribute to 'Karn Evil 9' from the Elp's 'Brain Salad Surgery'? It's a 30' song divided in several parts.

The music is of course not similar at all, but to me, there's definitely some influence in the live act. Don't waste time to find that after 1973, but as I mentionned, 'The Barbarian', 'Knife Edge' and above all 'Bitches Crystal' are songs that I can easily imagine played (and arranged) by MP.

Thanks for your info on King Crimson, I'm slowly digging their entire discography.
July 30, 2007 11:27PM
oh I didn't know about that Karn Evil 9 suite...
K-9 is a robot dog in the tv sci-fi series "doctor who" and a term used for dog squads in the police or military and else... so there might be a connection, too.

Listening to those early ELP records (and I remember now that my former roommate loved Tarkus) I notice how close they are to Crimson's early records like In the Court of the Crimson King, Islands and Lizard. So you'll probably like those. But I still see more obvious influences to MP on beforementioned KC live stuff and the studio records Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Starless & Bible Black and most notably Red, made with a rocking line up. Which by the time of Red even shrunk to a trio.

I think I see what you mean with The Barbarian and Bitches Crystal, but to me they are a bit too pretentious. Sure it's prog allright but still... to me this is the rather dreaded sphere of prog and that's where KC come in a bit more gutsier and more daring in terms of sonic attack and that's why to me they're much closer to MP than ELP...

But then, I should check back more on ELP though...
Motorpsycho goes to Studio this fall
July 31, 2007 01:30AM
Just found that entry on the Motorpsycho Myspace-Account (posted today):

Motorpsycho have decided to go to Studio as a trio this fall.
The drummer will be Kenneth Kappstad,who have played with Motorpsycho on their last tour,and have already showed amazing skills.
This is great news for all Psychonauts,but the band do not know when the album comes,or if it comes.It all depends on how satisfied they get.
All others just have to wait....

I´m really looking forward what´s gonna happening the next months. YEAH!!!!!
Back to Motorpsycho home page