Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why music nowadays sounds crap...

Posted by supernaut 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Why music nowadays sounds crap...
January 07, 2008 09:59PM
...and why Motorpsycho recordings are the bestest:

[stylusmagazine.com]

well there's no mentioning of Motorpsycho there, but it's all about the "loudness war", which means excessive use of hi-powered mastering for contemporary CD's.

An attempt of cutting it short:

The db-range is bigger on CD than on vinyl, meaning there's more dynamic range to achieve on a CD than on vinyl. Which was a good thing first in the 80ties, but nowadays is totally misused due to record companies' (majors and indies) demand of making CD's louder than the next one. Especially than the next one played on the radio (though some musicians sure are not free of guilt there either). Because loud = good = me-must-buy-now.

But it gets tiresome, so you might turn the volume down, and then it sounds muffled and bad and way too compressed. Contrary to older recordings which you can turn up or down (that's what a volume knob is for, mr record company man) to your liking and they always sound good and transparent.

Anyway, I'd say Motorpsycho have not fallen into this trap. There's room in their recordings even if they sound big and to the point. Like Trust Us. Or catchy and sparkling like LTEC. And they keep the small parts small. The production works for the music, and not vice versa.

i'm tired... hope you get what i mean... winking smiley

just let me add this quote:

Quote:
Levels have crept up over the last decade though, and alarmingly so. Nevermind is 6-8dB quieter than, say, Hopes & Fears by Keane—to contextualise this, those 6-8dB will make Nevermind sound approximately half as loud. On most modern CDs the music is squashed into the top 5 dB of a medium that has over 90 dB of range. It’s like the oft-quoted myth that humans use only 10% of their brain, only real—imagine what we could do if we realised potential. Think of the classic, exciting Pixies formula again—it doesn't exist anymore, because those dynamic leaps have been ironed out. Keane should NOT be twice as loud as Nirvana.
Re: Why music nowadays sounds crap...
January 07, 2008 10:10PM
Interesting article indeed. The new Smashing Pumpkins album is also a good example. Not only is it shitty produced, but the mastering just makes it more
abrasive and loud so that it's hard to hear what's going on.

Audun Strype and Strype Audio are a big reason why Motorpsycho's recordings never have and never will fall into the dB-trap.
jonne
January 07, 2008 11:07PM
the red hot chili peppers' californication is also an example
Mouintantop
January 07, 2008 11:20PM
Yeah, MP have usually "quiet" mastering... At least, Timothys Monster!
jtr
January 08, 2008 12:19AM
Timmy is especially quiet, yes. But thats okay. I know about that issue and agree with you, the sound is getting worse this way. Its actually hard to listen to Californication because its so badly mastered.
January 08, 2008 10:41PM
I'd give a special thumbs up in the case of It's A Love Cult, which has a really nice analog sound and isn't mastered that hot.
January 24, 2008 08:21PM
jtr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its actually hard to listen to Californication because its so badly
> mastered.

i find it hard to listen to no matter what. grinning smiley
ddd
January 25, 2008 05:32AM
eye popping smiley the article disappeared
January 25, 2008 12:03PM
There never was an article, music nowadays sounds good.

-big brother
January 28, 2008 08:28PM
scary...
February 05, 2008 06:41PM
ah found it again: [stylusmagazine.com]
Hogwash76
February 07, 2008 12:12AM
Dungen is another band with cool sound. The music is allright as well!
February 07, 2008 05:35PM
What about the new Mars Volta-album "the bedlam in goliath"?
Is it also an example of bad mastering?

Because there are some parts, where I thought "my boxes sound like they will soon stop functioning" and so I turned the volume down, but the sound still seemed to be shitty.
If you have the album, just listen to the song "Agadez" from 5:15 and tell me, if you also think, that this part sounds like damage?
b.t.w. all in all the new Mars Volta "is" a disappointment, this time they brought the "sound terror" to its perfection. On amputechture there were also good and bad parts, but you could listen to the whole album. Now I just want to turn it off after some minutes moody smiley
Back to Motorpsycho home page