Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Manmower is Damaged :-(

Posted by Denial 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My Manmower is Damaged :-(
December 16, 2008 06:26AM
Hi Guys,

With considerable shock I noticed recently that my Manmover CD is damaged.
There are hundreds of little black spots on it, presumably permeated from the printed side.
The CD does still play, but with lapses... it is no audiophiles dream.

I wonder if any of you had the same problem.
I've heard before that such things happen, but that mt first experience is with one of my favourite MP CDs is frustrating.

Extra irony is that i also have the Manmower vinyl, but don't have a functioning turntable anymore.
(Been unsucessfully looking for a USB turntable high and low, but that's another story.)

I need some words of consolation :-(

Daniel
Re: My Manmower is Damaged :-(
December 16, 2008 08:07AM
There there
Poor Daniel!
I never had this problem with any cd. can´t imagine how this could work. a few times the printed side somehow got damaged but thats more a problem of low quality cd-rom.
and for the usb turntables: dunno where you live but in germany there are lots of modells on ebay or amazon for example. always a problem with test listenings of course...
sail on!
philipp
December 16, 2008 10:28AM
I also never had this problem before. I take good care of my CDs, and it was a real surprise.
Also, it happened very sudden... just a few weeks back, the dots were not there.

I currently live in Singapore. You can get every gadget you want in the local shops, but when you tell 'em you "want to play vinyl, yes, i MEAN the old records", they look at you as though you're from Mars.
December 16, 2008 10:34AM
I didnt have this problem with "bought cds", but the first CDs I've burnt a long time ago (RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magik or Nirvana - In Utero for example) don't work anymore eye popping smiley
December 16, 2008 10:52AM
I have one CD where something similiar has happened: The Singles soundtrack has one black spot in the
middle of the CD. This spot is probably what's making the skip/hiccups right in the middle of the Soundgarden
song "Birth Ritual".

Other than that, my other CDs are fine. Some of the burnt ones have started to deteriorate, but that's to be expected,
I guess.
December 16, 2008 06:11PM
uh oh, it's obviously started...

BACK UP YER CD's NOW!!!
motörbed
December 16, 2008 06:23PM
VIVA LA VINYL!!!

ps: insound has lots usb recordplayers (and lots records too).
jtr
December 16, 2008 10:22PM
I just went to some of my oldest CDs to check if something similar has happened to them.

Well, the first CD I remember owning, "Dangerous" by Michael Jackson is now 17 years old and still working quite fine. Some scratches, but nothing more than that. I have to admit though that I haven't touched that record in a lot of years. The two "Use your Illusion"-CDs by Guns N Roses, now also 17 years old, are also okay, apart from scratches (they have been used a bit more often).

BUT another Jackson CD, now 13 years old, "HIStory" indeed has some black spots on it. I wonder what exactly causes them...

~

Concerning burned CDs, they indeed start to deteriorate after some 5-10 years already. I can't remember what was the first one, but I'm a bit worried for my own music thinking about this. I got it all on hard disk, too, but still...
December 17, 2008 10:12AM
Have the same problem on my copy of manmower ep!
December 17, 2008 10:57AM
Vinyl Is Forever.

Considering this, what's the sense of an usb record player anyway? The least storage device I trust is a harddrive.
motörbed
December 17, 2008 11:23AM
supernaut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vinyl Is Forever.
>
>
>
> Considering this, what's the sense of an usb
> record player anyway? The least storage device I
> trust is a harddrive.

so you can listen to yr vinyls on the buss i guess.
beats me, i trust my good ol´ techincs 1210
December 17, 2008 04:02PM
Denial Wrote:

> (Been unsucessfully looking for a USB turntable
> high and low, but that's another story.)

Dude, they're quite easy to find online. Getting cheaper too.
Google for it or check on Amazon.
Can't vouch for the quality, though.

I've had similar issues like you happen to several CDs. Not to any of the MP ones, though.
December 17, 2008 04:35PM
Dear Daniel,

Sterling Says: it's all right, it's all right, it's alllllll right!!!

It just means you are a way cool old school psychonaut cool smiley

You see, I've got a defective Manmower, too! Psychobabble 005, issued when Stickman was still operating out of Nurnberg, copyright 1996. That's right, TWELVE years ago, whooooo! Mine was purchased from Boudisque in Amsterdam.
Apparently a long time ago there was some mention of this either on g35 or the 'trades, but in any case I found out when a certified inspector put my collection to the test one day and said, "Lookie here, your Manmower EP is toast!"
Oh well!
That's not important.
What IS important is: will you be able to bring the family over for a visit in April & join us for Roadburn 2009?
We would love to see you! You were with us in spirit at the fab shows during the autumn tour.

Cheers,
Leslie
December 17, 2008 04:55PM
Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so you can listen to yr vinyls on the buss i
> guess.
> beats me, i trust my good ol´ techincs 1210

I hardly ever listen to music on the bus or train. Too loud and I get the *beeeeeep* after 10 seconds of earplugging.

Listen without distraction. Ah rules, gotta love 'em.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2008 04:56PM by supernaut.
December 18, 2008 02:23AM
My world is fine again!

To stay on topic first:
So the damage of my Manmower just means that it was a very old edition, and i am part of the solid bedrock of psychonauts?
Looking at it this way does put a little smile on my face.

As I said in my OP, I do have the vinyl, so all is not lost (and I don't need to count on the harddrive as an everlasting storage device).

And now the digression:
Indeed, I want to be able to listen to my vinyls outside my own four walls. Maybe the youngsters here cannot imagine, but having a family (i.e. two little kids) makes it difficult to peacefully listen to a record at home.

I had been looking at get the turntable by mailorder, but a) Amazon does not send to South East Asia and b) those who send to SEA charge more for shipping than for the item.
But now it gets really funny: The very same day I wrote my OP, I came home to find an xmas present from my mum. And you can guess what it was!
I have not been so happy about an xmas present since i got a model space shuttle from my godfather when i was 12. Seriously.
Now some extra irony: The player is AKAI, a brand which according to Wikipedia has its headquarters in Singapore, the very rock I am sitting on! But they don't sell it here confused smiley

Lighthousegirl:
Thanks for your nice words!
When Supersonic Philip told me the lineup of the Roadburn festival, I was really stunned.
But I doubt that we will make it to Europe in April. Spending 12h in the plane with my 2 little devils would be a nightmare at the moment.
Maybe... maybe next autumn.

All the best,
D.
December 18, 2008 12:25PM
Yes, Singapore, there is a Santa Claus...she lives in Switzerland!

What a great story, Daniel. Congrats on your righteous Xmas prezzie.

Hang in there, we'll do our best to make sure there are some good shows in autumn 09, and if it's any consolation most if not all of the Roadburn performances are usually recorded officially and posted on line so you can experience the sonic bliss of next year's event vicariously.

In the meantime, have fun with your angels and demons at play!
Back to Motorpsycho home page