Re: effenaar, 28-05-08
May 30, 2008 09:00PM
Trully amazing the band is capable to completely change the set-list
for each concert they perform and make it a fluid performance time after time, this is not easy because many things can go wrong doing so.This is the strenght of MP and wat makes them unique in my opinion.
May 30, 2008 09:19PM
Man, what a concert that was!
I really don't care that much about Bent singing out of tune or the guitar sound being too loud. It was that great feeling that overcame me during this gig that I've felt so many more times at a MP show.
The vibe was good and for me personally it was Hogwash that struck me the most with that wah wah intro! Spectacular!! It just kept going...

After the last show, last year in the Effenaar I also was a little disappointed and mostly afraid that the magic was gone a little bit. But wednesday, the proved me wrong and I thank god for that, or should I say MP?
bas
May 31, 2008 01:16PM
well, mixed opinions about the effenaar-gig. didn't see that coming, cause i thought it was their best gig in years. having seen them live since 1995 i was impressed with the sheer energy of the new drummerboy (best mp-drummer to date), and also with the fact that the new songs perfectly fit in with the blissard/aadap songs. 'heartattack mac' was perfect and noisy, and the jamming went from hardrock, stonerrock, space/krautrock to improvjazz and back again.

i agree a bit with leslie (didn't see you this time, but then again, nowadays i'm nowhere near the stage anymore and only in the area of the soundman; maybe next time!) that the new effenaar hasn't got much character (to put it mildly).

i was a bit apprahensive at first, cause the couple of albums before llm are not that memorable, so i was afraid their best days were over, but having seen this concert i'm very glad i went and i'll definitely will go next time. really like the new album btw, except for year zero, which lasts 3 or 4 minutes too long; not only on the record but during the concert as well. the build-up and climax in the first half of the song is brilliant though.
Rob
May 31, 2008 02:03PM
the comments about the venue itself I can also understand... it's not that bad, but not what it used to be. Still, once the magic started none of this matters to me, only the music. Yesterday I listened to Year zero from the Berlin gig but it comes nowhere close to the fantastic version they played here. Intense, emotional, ... (but of course, listening to a tape is not the same as being there so that probably makes me biased:-)
I already regret having skipped Utrecht as they played a lot of different songs there. Not necessarily personal favorites (eg. bedroom eyes) but it would have been great to see these.
June 01, 2008 11:40AM
bas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i agree a bit with leslie (didn't see you this
> time, but then again, nowadays i'm nowhere near
> the stage anymore and only in the area of the
> soundman; maybe next time!)

Hey Bas, I didn't see you, either--and I was nowhere near the front this time around. In fact, I was right there in the back by Ken's soundman station...!

> i was a bit apprehensive at first, cause the
> couple of albums before llm are not that
> memorable, so i was afraid their best days were
> over, but having seen this concert i'm very glad i
> went and i'll definitely will go next time.

My sentiments exactly, only it was the Tivoli gig that rekindled my joy found in listening to Motorpsycho and seeing them live.

However, I will avoid ever seeing them again in the 'nare eff'!
June 01, 2008 02:40PM
Both the dutch concerts were great, I thought.

It is part of the MP-tradition to play more spacey stuff at Tivoli and Eindhoven is traditionally more of a rock city. In my humble and thoroughly biased opinion, Eindhoven was the better gig. They rocked SO hard there it beggars belief.

I brought a converted metallist to the Eindhoven-gig. He went to see Metallica at Pinkpop on friday, and he said he enjoyed MP more.

A split between Eindhoven and Tivoli would make for a very interesting RWIV.

Have fun everyone going to the rest of the gigs, you will not be disappointed!

Greets,

Thomas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2008 02:41PM by TvdR.
Back to Motorpsycho home page