J-P
Tivoli Utrecht 29-5-2008
May 30, 2008 12:35AM
They played from 20:30 till 22:50. The crowd was very noisy afterwards and deafened the music when the lights went on. The band had to quit before 23:00 because of curfew. We all hoped they would play one more song before eleven, but .... no (helaas pindakaas).

I'm not sure about the exact order of nummers 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8, but i'm pretty sure they played the following 15 songs:

1. Serpentine (slower, though rockier version)
2. Triggerman (including long improvisation in the middle)
3. Coalmine Pony
4. Upstairs-downstairs
5. Taifun
6. Superstooge
7. Year Zero (absolutely fabulous)
8. Bedroom Eyes
9. Greener
10. Sinful, wind-borne
11. Like Always
12. Drug Thing
13. Little Lucid Moments
14. The Alchemist
15. Vortex Surfer (even better than before)

Between 14 and 15 only half a minute break.

So no Kill Devil Hills which they played almost every concert on this tour and no Watersound which was played since the 20th almost every concert and ... for the first time this tour she did not left on the sunship.

Good news: i enjoyed every second and still enjoy the buzz in my ears.
Goodnight.

J-P
Re: Tivoli Utrecht 29-5-2008
May 30, 2008 01:30AM
just came back from the venue. got setlist.

surpentine
trigger
colmine
up/down
stooge
taifun
y.zero
bedroom
greener
sinful
like always
drug
llm
alchemyst
-------------
vs

amazing show. god, better than yesterday!
too much energy and quiet songs, also many old songs, and audience was pretty cool. enjoyed a lot. whata nite.

thx for Rune, Rimke, everyone fra Gronningen, and mighty Leslie! this is a special nite.
May 30, 2008 01:38AM
It was a wonderful show for sure!

The 'golden oldies' segment in the middle (Greener thru Drug Thing) was so nice and not purely a nostalgia trip although I have to say, it was quite funny to think back on seeing them in this very venue on the Blissard tour in 96...they were opening for Dead Moon!

I loved how Snah changed the lyrics in Greener from 'all of 26' to 'all of 38'...

The newer songs worked much better in Utrecht than in Eindhoven. Better sound, better dynamic, even 'secondary' things like the lights and visuals--all better.

It was great seeing all you 'old-timers', too!
May 30, 2008 02:29AM
yes that was a very good show
the sound was very good and I think only at the end very very loud
and forget clapton
SNAH IS GOD spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
he was in such a great mood tonight, hah!
Un.Chien.d.Espace
May 30, 2008 02:58AM
after the first (and only) encore, the audience was clapping for 10 minutes until the lights went on and the curtain felt, then the crowd started to throw bottles at the stage...very intense moment! ha - goosebumps.

Coalmine Pony, Superstooge, Bedroom Eyes, The Alchemist video taped.
May 30, 2008 08:19AM
Very very nice!
An intense show, with a whole lotta Snah - he sung about every song ...
Much space and breakdowns in the first couple of songs, great bass lines in those moments.
And the encore-breaks crowd reactions were indeed unbelievable, have never hear anything like it - hard too tell who was louder, MP or us ;-)
May 30, 2008 10:30AM
I have never had better sound on any Motorpsycho gig. Perfectly balanced up front where I was standing. Snah was incredible! The solos were so dreamy and 'clean', out of this world!!

Brilliant gig.

TAIFUN!!!!

See you next tour.
Rune

(ROADWORKS IV = Tivoli '08)
May 30, 2008 01:49PM
and yet another briljant show! It felt really new ánd confident for me. This was my twelth show this far, and on the one hand they did some songs i heard play a lot of times now, but on the onther hand, just the three of them, and a new drummer! (never seen them with Kenneth) And what an impression did he make! Really fun watching him play.

It was, like said before, most and foreall Snah's night. Not only singing most songs (and how, wow, never heard him sing this great!), but also being the guitargod that he is. New intruments and a change of stagespot, feels fresh to me.

Highlights for me:
- Sinful, windborne, Drug Thing and Like Always: three groovy, energetic rockers in a row, goosebumps all over!
- Superstooge: loud, with superb jamming part in the middle. Didn't expect this one, nice surprice for me.
- The LLM songs. What can i say, what can i say....LLM the song lasted 27 minutes aprox.

A little bummer the didn't play She Left On The Sunship. Since they played it at every gig so far, i was expecting that one. But nevermind, some great stuff in it's place.

Another highlight was the sound. Superb, loud but not too loud. You could hear every detail.

Can't wait to see them again!
May 30, 2008 02:16PM
The crowd should get a medal too. Tivoli has always struggled with the in-crowd at the back, but this time I was not bothered at all. They were even quiet during quiet parts.

Fantastic gig.
Harry
May 30, 2008 03:22PM
This was a wonderful night. Damn, they are back. So good. The sound was very good. I was in about row 15 I think. Very nice, not too loud and I could hear every detail. The singing was also great. Snah’s as well as Bent’s.

Hilites for me: Taifun (wauw, that heavy sound! I love it so much), Greener (first time for me), LLM (just an incredible trip, I didn’t know where I was for a second when it finished), Vortex Surfer off course and especially Year Zero (Snah and his guitar…. beautiful) and Sinful Windborne- one of my all time favourite songs, played to perfection.
I thought Kenneth was incredible, also on the old songs like Taifun and Sinful-W. What a groove. And so much energy, he just goes on and on!

Other comments: the crowd was very noisy, in a good way and in a not so good way. I think nowadays in Holland Motorpsycho attracts a large crowd of people who are not that familiar with the music but just go because of the great live-reputation of MP. The noise-making in the end when no second encore was happening was unbelievable! There was true and heart-felt anger in the crowd I think…Remarkable. Everyone was honestly expecting another song.
And about the curfew…. it was about 22.45 on my watch when they disappeared from stage after VS….. So, why not one more song? Anyway, it was still great.
Only disappointment for me: no Heartattack mac. I had my hopes up for that one. Would have been a first also. But what the hell, so much other fantastic stuff, especially from Superstooge and then on. (a bit of a slow start, as usual, I thought)

And there will be a fall-tour, right? Just has to happen, can’t do without for another year… The best band in the world, easily, and one of the best concerts I have ever seen. Respect, respect, just awesome..

Sail on
Harry
BD
May 30, 2008 04:47PM
LLM and the Blissard songs! Energetic to the bone.
My voice still hoarse from the yelling out loud at the end... when no extra encore arrived, and we were faced with the blackness of the curtain.
Damn.
'till next time.
Pim
May 30, 2008 05:55PM
I think the concert was intended to end at 22.30 as the piece of paper at the mixing panel showed. So they probably stretched it a bit already.

Seems they happen to be a little better in Tivoli then in other venues in the Netherlands.
May 31, 2008 01:09AM
Say, has Bent quit smoking?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2008 01:14PM by Mark.
drx
May 31, 2008 01:32PM
someone told both Bent & Snah have quit smoking! smiling smiley
Be
May 31, 2008 02:01PM
And Bent has gained some serous weight I think -- could correspond to quit smoking
May 31, 2008 02:07PM
He he, ask Leslie about her talk with Bent about gaining weight!
June 01, 2008 11:27AM
Ha ha, Mark! Okay, here is the Prive/Story scoop winking smiley

It's true.

Bent and I compared notes on our respective healthier laifschteilzzz these days along with the shocking mutual discovery that it's not a myth after all, the whole post-smoking weight gain thing...damn...!

Incidentally, he was prompted to quit for good by the arrival of his son. A very wise and caring decision. There is nothing remotely cool about watching a (grand)parent die from respiratory disease or subjecting babies and little kids to second hand smoke. Uh-uh.

Smoking is *so* 1996/2006!

And as far as the post-quitting weight gain goes, why, there's just a little more of us to love nowadays smiling smiley
June 01, 2008 01:44PM
Absolutely, Leslie ;-)

Thought it would be something like that (having a child and stuff).
June 02, 2008 03:26PM
Juhuuu, it was GREAT!
Thought they had 'lost' me a bit, but they completely won me back smiling smiley)
I had a wonderful time.

Thanks to yourself Akane!
And nice to see some familiar-family-faces smiling smiley

Kenneth = konge !!
BD
June 02, 2008 04:29PM
Hehe. I love quitting smoking. To see your navel grow dirtier by the day as they say. :p
Back to Motorpsycho home page