2008-10-16: AT-Wien - Arena
October 17, 2008 08:56AM
good morning people!! how was the last night!?
starmelt
Re: 2008-10-16: AT-Wien - Arena
October 17, 2008 09:36AM
Last night was very loud - and very long, which is technically good but...
I was really hoping for some of their old stuff but they played hardly any - they just played hard!!
They are master instrumentalists - but why did they have to get into that jam-noise-stuff quite so much?
I am a bit disappointed - Motorpsycho didn't satisfy my need for extatic music bliss quite as much as they have in the past.
Sad.
October 17, 2008 10:20AM
it was FABULOUS!! after 4 years without seeing them play my expectations were high, but what we got was even better than what i hoped for.
i agree with you concerning the volume, but i really liked this. i gladly sacrificed my hearing capacity for the next few days for this sweet & extatic noise.
in my opinion they played a nice mix of old and new. they added much new material to the old stuff and put much enthusiasm in the new. yes, there was much jamming and as it is with jamming it can*t be a non stop climax. but you also need time to go pee or get a new drink, don't you?

some of the songs as far i remember them through the mists of my hangover.... (no specific order, except for first 3):

K9
Step Inside
Year Zero
LLM
Hogwash (jamming into somethin else)
Taifun (Yeah!)
Heartattac Mac (YEAH!!!)
Plan no 1
She left on the sun ship >>
The Alchemyst

Whip that ghost
and finally some really nice jam, anybody knows what this was? sounded like a classic.

please correct me if 'm wrong...

but whats the use of setlists with concerts like this... the music they played had'nt much in common with the studioversions anyway ;-) (and thats why i love them!)

including encore-breaks they played close to 3 hrs

they are in good shape... go there and see! by the way: there were several people with cameras... can anybody post pictures? or mail me some?

ah yes, and now i know what everybody meant by "kenneth is an animal"... what a drummer!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2008 10:52AM by rasputinowitsch.
October 17, 2008 10:42AM
Holy crap! What a setlist!
October 17, 2008 10:56AM
Wow!!

Tomorrow can't come soon enough!!! Bloody hell, what a setlist!!
October 17, 2008 12:12PM
wow, fantastic setlist of course :-)
taifun http://www.toolband.de/foren/images/smilies/icon24.gif
sounds like a totaly awesome night
jtr@work
October 17, 2008 12:45PM
So, I just came home (and straight to work, thats how I like it...) and I gotta say it was absolutely fantastic. Psychedelic & intense -- hardly any good ol' MP poprocker, but it wasnt necessary anyway. That night was a space-night truly.

The setlist was as following, in correct order, as I noted it to my cell phone:
01. Un Chien d'Espace
02. Year Zero
03. Step Inside
04. Little Lucid Moments
05. Taifun
06. Hogwash --->
07. Unknown (one or two songs I don't know, so they are either new or covers)
08. Heartattack Mac
09. Plan #1
---------------------------------------
10. The Alchemyst (no SunShip in there or call me crazy)
11. Unknown (instrumental, completely unknown to me, so this one too is either new or a cover) --->
12. Song for a Bro (Whip that Ghost)

I hope somebody can make out the covers and/or new tunes in there. I might call myself an MP experts and even recognize a Spacewash in its very beginning, but I'm not that much of a covers person, so help me out here winking smiley
October 17, 2008 12:59PM
Looking at this i am glad that there are more shows to come - what a hot'n'space spicy setlist!
October 17, 2008 01:03PM
damn! i m in wien next week - few days too late....
October 17, 2008 02:24PM
nice surprise!!!! nothing accoustic before the psychedlic k9?? too bad!! taifun must have been a nice exp. with new baterias ,was it any better?? Now lets see whats left of them 3 when they come to holland!!!!!!
October 17, 2008 02:48PM
thanks for the exact setlist! you're absolutely right about the sunship... my mistake. must have dreamt it ;-) in the later part of the show my concentration more and more slipped into pure amazement. and i already had some "spritzer"

all in all i have to say: last night was a concert just like the one from the trust us-aera that started the whole mp-thing for me. i so much hope that there's going to be a roadwork-album from this tour. hopefully a double. or triple.
October 17, 2008 03:04PM
Maybe the instrumental unknown thing was the Miles Davis-cover again? would fit in there...
the other unkown part might also be the new song "who gave you love / loving" or what its called again or the song they didnt do in Frankfurt...
October 17, 2008 03:06PM
yeh, you are right about the trust-us area looking setlist, why wasn't V.S in there,man?
October 17, 2008 04:34PM
According to Seattle Psychonaut on G35, song #11 that they played before Whip That Ghost was
Mountain Song by Allmann Brothers Band.
mybestfriend83
October 17, 2008 05:04PM
Man the second time Whip that ghost and i missed it......
I hope they play it in Amsterdam.....
Thats one of may favourites and i never heared it live....

And by the way its up to everybody itself but for me they cant get loud enough or jam long enough...lol
jtr
October 17, 2008 11:20PM
So, after reading the info from seattlepsychonaut @ g-35(too bad I didnt meet you there) that makes the following:

01. Un Chien d'Espace
02. Year Zero
03. Step Inside
04. Little Lucid Moments
05. Taifun
06. Hogwash --->
07. Halleluwah (Can) --->
08. Inside Looking Out (Grand Funk Railroad)
09. Heartattack Mac
10. Plan #1
11. The Alchemyst
12. Mountain Song (Allman Brothers Band) --->
13. Song for a Bro (Whip that Ghost)

Total time: ~160-170 I guess

Now this segue, Mountain Song->Whip that Ghost seems logical, the latter being a tribute to the Allmans. After listening to the original I also think I can confirm that (although it's pretty hard to get Step Inside out of my head right now - therefore I'm a little confused musically). Bent said something beforehand, but I did not understand a single word - his microphone was way too quiet all night long.

I'm not sure about the Can cover; if you ask me, it had nothing to do with their studio version (and unfortunately Snahs singing was close to inaudible, so I couldn't make anything out of the lyrics). I don't know anything by Grand Funk, so I'll have to pass there.

But I think we got pretty close to the true setlist here.

Also, concerning the loudness ... I think they played harder in 2006 (the moog taurus in Un Chien was a freaking blastwave of noise...) and louder during the last Tussler tour, so yesterday's show was no problem at all.

Oh and of course all songs were highlights, not only Taifun and Songbro, two songs which I hadnt expected at all, A truely epic and wonderful concert.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2008 11:24PM by jtr.
October 18, 2008 10:35AM
that night was fantastic! also expected quite a lot after the last viennese show back a few years - this really had incredible moments, especially the epic soundscape ones. do have a few pictures if anybody is interested
cheers
October 18, 2008 05:06PM
Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> do have a few pictures
> if anybody is interested
> cheers

pictures would be cool! could you mail me some? or via any other method you prefer...

thanks!
rasputinowitsch
Back to Motorpsycho home page