welsh rarebit

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: German Bent interiew #15756

Interesting interview. Two things:

1. “cowards”, “pretty uncool” [towards Geb] – not a bit harsh on Bent here? In my interpretation he is only stating the obvious: Ken is one helluwa drummer, better than Geb; he [Bent] has developed a lot as a bassplayer after starting playing with Ken; MP was really in a dead end musically after LTEC, and it took both Geb and MP a long time to figure out how to take it further. What should they have done: Kicked Geb out? Or kept going down that road? With IALC in mind: No thank you!

2. If I understand the interview right Bent says no one will take on the task of listening through 24 shows to figure out suitable tracks or shows for a RW. Shall we do the impossible task of giving him a helping hand? A poll or something which realistically singles out tracks for a) the one disc RW4 that best captures the tour (tracks/concert/running order); b) the two disc version; and c) the one complete concert. Remember that Bent does not necessarily care much about being loyal to the actual running order etc.

I haven’t had time to listen to all the recordings yet (and could sadly not attend), but my one would nevertheless have at least Cornucopia, Diana, Loneliness, Wishing well, Alchymist, Ocean in her eye I think, Sungravy maybe, oh God this is impossible. (Admittedly quite anal this…)

in reply to: The Christmas present from heaven (A double DVD) #15629

It is nothing to discuss. We like quality music, we like quality recordings. Get a dime account, trade with fans. Not difficult.

in reply to: Worst and most overrated album. #12218

@ supernaut

Sorry everyone else, a bit off topic, but yeah, I’ve been to Snowdonia. If you’re into walking in mountains or even climbing it’s superb. Edmund Hillary trained there before he went off to climb Mount Everest. (If not you can always take the steam train to the summit of Mount Snowdon and get something to eat in the cafeteria). Apart from that it’s maybe not the hottest holiday spot in UK. But it is beautiful up there.

in reply to: Worst and most overrated album. #12213

@ Stalemate

[About over or underrated – I think that the bands fame, or lack of such, is something they wanted all along, I’ve never seen as much pain in anyones eye as when they are “forced” to come on a talkshow on norwegian TV (store studio f.eks) and play “their last hit single”, it’s ridicolous to watch. I can’t just listen to one song, and then be done with it, MP is a album band, each album is a story, and each song needs to be heard in order to get the big picture.]

I totally agree, their prime time TV appearances are mostly painful for band and fans. Luckily they are very few and far between! When I said “unknown in UK”, I meant just that as a fact. I don’t suggest that they ever wanted to be commercial, and I am certainly not suggesting that they should be. But I guess it is just me that think this band is so damned good that I find it strange that more people haven’t discovered it. That is of course totally irrelevant. I like it so I’m happy, they can apparently live off it so they are presumably happy. So, I really don’t care about all those others.

And it’s definitively an album band, not a singles band. I almost never plays just one MP song, or make playlists. Just whole albums or concerts.

in reply to: Worst and most overrated album. #12210

@kippenhok: As you might have guessed, in Wales, a bit outside Cardiff. Not Motorpsycho heartland. But I do have converted mates.

I was by the way wrong. Motorpsycho albums are not underrated in the UK. To be underrated they have to be known. It is unknown they are, not underrated. And, otherdemon is of course right, 8 Soothing Songs is crap with the exception of the songs mentioned. But again, they were young and not fully formed. I’ve sort of always counted Demon Box as the first proper album, that’s when things fall into place.

in reply to: Worst and most overrated album. #12206

I pretty much have to join in on what’s more or less consensus here I’m afraid:

The worst album is of course Love Cult; I find some of the songs downright embarrasing, Carousel must be their worst songs ever (and What if…? Ouch.); the album totally lacks a flow – it’s an album by a band that’s lost its way, uninspired. I never play it. The other two ‘pop’ albums are much better – better songs, more coherent; yes, overproduced by usual MP standards, but very well produced. But the whole ‘pop’ era is in hindsight of course a sidetrack, a dead end.

Lobotomizer is of course a pretty bad album, but I can live with that since, well their young. And it worked at the time. And it got Hogwash (1000 times better live, but still).

BH/BC? No that’s a good one, underrated by many. A band in a transitional phase, lacks the prototype MP propressive psych stuff, but got some really really great songs (and a few really bad ones). Coherent, with a good flow (which is important for an album). Doesn’t however rate among their all time best. A few songs, like Critical Mass, 29th Bulletin and Trixeene, are sort of forgotten gems. On LLM they have found their (new) way, and that one is up there with the classic 90’s releases.

Barracuda? Simple, but effective. Totally lacks depth, but great fun. A great car album as someone said. But doesn’t of course stand up at all against the big classics – it’s not a significant MP album.

The most over- and underrated? The pop albums are overrated by those who love them of course. The less significant ones and the side projects tends maybe to be a bit overrated (Barracuda, Fishtank, Tussler I and II). They are mostly great fun and sometimes interesting, but not much more. Tussler live was of course a ball. Some of the EP’s fall in the ‘fun and interesting but insignificant’ category (on the other hand, there’s gems there as well). But the Demon Box-Trust Us row of albums, and later BH/BC-LLM, are simply extraordinary music that deserves the status.

Underrated? By who? Here in UK? Every single album!

in reply to: New album! #11724

@ greener81: Given the fierce (and bizarre) resistance against the vinyl only edition even here among the presumably most die hard fans, I think you have a pretty limited edition as it is…

in reply to: New album! #11705

My God how I love such heroic stubbornness! Just totally ignoring the rules of the industry. Of course it is a commercial disaster (like, eeh, quite a lot of what Motorpsycho does, actually). Of course it is a battle that sadly is going to be lost. Of course people are going to upload it, download it, shitload it. But, f*ck man, you just got to admire that stubbornness!

And, hey, independent music, that is what we like after all, isn’t it?

For true analog peace & love, have a nice summer guys. Enjoy it.

in reply to: Athletic Sound anniversary #11364

On that great group picture, isn’t it a hand on Elvira Nicolaisen’s hip, there? Right in front of Snah? Dirty old…

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994