Octopuseses

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: What's so special about Motorpsycho? #25682

Interesting. Thanks guys, this is pretty much what I would expect, but it's nice getting someone else's words on it!

in reply to: Some help with a school assignment? #25594

Haha, that's a nice way to see it. Thanks Supernaut :)

My point in this assignment is kind of: Why isn't Motorpsycho just another rock band? What makes them special as opposed to other rock bands?

This is where their drastic musical shifts come in.. And I also find it very interesting how they could play any style of music, but still maintain that sound of Motorpsycho that you just recognize right away.. So i'd like to put my finger on what the actual elements are, that makes them so unique and recognizable!

Of course, their list of musical references is endless, and ever growing, and they seem to like to try new stuff out as they get "introduced to new stuff", and therefore their musical development is kinda drastic and sort of spontaneous.

BUT!

Since this is a school assignment and it has to be as objective as possible (I know this might be unfair to Motorpsycho), it might be an idea to kind of analyze their development from start to today. Of course, their style has always incorporated tons of elements that stay with them along the way, but I would say you can't miss the fact that they have had "periods", in the loosest way possible. If i'm not mistaken, they had their poppiest period just before/after Y2K? Blissard with its indie pop-ish touch, Phanerothyme with its excellent americano pop, Let Them Eat Cake?

Also I in a way find Angels and Daemons at Play to be some kind of culmination of all their impulses. Hard rock, pop, noise, jazz.

And also, they have had several albums lately with a really rocked out, riff-based base. I suspect this is Kenneth's work though, so that makes sense.

I doubt I make myself clear enough here.. The "periods" i'm looking for don't have to be specific down to detail, as long as there are some rough lines, with some examples here and there that would be good enough for this assignment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994