Great King Rat

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 234 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: Motorpsycho live 2023 #41259
    Great King Rat
    Participant

Hmm… No Schlachthof Bremen yet? Bring it on, please! Though with Hamburg and Oldenburg that would be a third show here in the north. I wouldn’t mind it, obviously, but does it suggest Bremen is unlikely this time? On the other hand, October 9th is still free… Anyway, it’s good to have a proper tour to look forward to. See you on the road!
      :stg:

in reply to: 2022-09-09 Bremen, “Hellseatic” Festival #41147
      Great King Rat
      Participant

Here’s the aftermovie, gives you a good impression of the event and when you look carefully, you can even spot the guys! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_f-Cjt4WBc
        No clips of hole songs yet though.

in reply to: 2022-09-09 Bremen, “Hellseatic” Festival #40497
        Great King Rat
        Participant

I agree with the doubts about the price, and the two-day-ticket would’ve been only 15,-Euros more but I couldn’t make the other day so I went for just Friday night.

Overall, the atmosphere was very pleasant. Probably, because at niche events like that you don’t have random festival tourists like on the Hurricane (f.ex.) but only dedicated fans. Also, all metal fans I know are really friendly people…

There was someone by the Hellseatic crew filming quite a few songs, though maybe not all of them. At youtube you’ll find clips with whole songs from various bands from the first festival a couple of years ago, so maybe we’re gonna be lucky and get some footage that way later.

Setlist looks correct.

in reply to: Upgrade tonight #40493
          Great King Rat
          Participant

But yeah, thunbs up anyway, thanks for the work!

in reply to: Upgrade tonight #40492
            Great King Rat
            Participant

Is it “greenish” for everyone else, too? It’s grey as far as I can tell…

in reply to: 2022-09-09 Bremen, “Hellseatic” Festival #40491
              Great King Rat
              Participant

I was there last night but can’t provide the whole setlist. They opened with The ladder, followed by a long, rocky Dreamhome. There was also an Ueber- sth (maybe pilgrim?), the Lurker, Hell pt.1 (at least), Azrael as the second last and Rock bottom as the closer, introduced by Bent as “an old German classic”.

Their slot was supposed to be 90 min. but they started half an hour late due to technical problems and got 15 min more in the end, so alltogether it was 75 min. Without the tech problems they would*ve played at least one more, I guess.

The location was in the midst of an old industrial area with high brick buildings with thrown-in windows all around, quite fitting for a (largely) metal event. The crowd mainly consisted of metal heads, a bit younger on average than at the usual MP-show. I met a few psychonauts but I’d say most people were not familiar with the band. However, most of them were quite attentive and obviously interested in what they saw. I’d say about 2 -300 people watched the whole show. Most appreciated were Hell and Rock bottom in the end. For me, Dreamhome and Azrael were the highlights.

The sound was crystal clear, Bent, Snah and Reine were clearly distiguishable throughout the show. There was a lot of guitar work and some nice soloing by Snah, it reminded my a bit of Hannover earlier this year but with the huge difference of a far better sound last night. Overall a good show, especially considering that it was a festival gig which just doesn’t provide the intimacy and time as an indoor solo show does. But still, good to see them and I also think they might have impressed some people who hadn’t known them yet.

in reply to: Personal MP Concert Statistics #40034
                Great King Rat
                Participant

I was able to verify some 30+ shows, although I'm sure there are quite a few missing. Which is entirely possible since my memories from the time between 2000 and 2010 are… well, a bit blurred. So this is confirmed but not complete:

Shows: 33

Locations: Bremen, Hamburg, Hannover, Bielefeld, Berlin (all multiple times) plus Cologne, Kiel, Oldenburg, Muenster and Deventer (once each)

Different songs played: 171

Songs played most often: Walking on the water (13x), Vortexsurfer (11x)

Songs anticipated most (but never seen): Radiance freq

Specials:

– my very first show at Hurricane `99 where they basically played the entire Roadworks I plus one or two others. Completely blew me away.

– when they opened a show in Hamburg 2002 with The Giftland. The strange sounds/noise from the beginning of the song were played on loop in the venue for an half-hour or so before they entered the stage. Sooner or later, people started recogizing it and realizing what it meant. Big grins everywhere.

Feedtime 2016

– the 2017 Schlachthof gig that began with Un chien and closed with The Golden Core. Absolutely out of this world.

– each rendition of The Wheel (4x) and The Golden core (3x) I was allowed to witness

in reply to: Tour tales and talk – Spring 2022 #40051
                  Great King Rat
                  Participant

I saw two very different shows in Hannover and Bremen, also sound-wise (Faust terrible, Schlachthof great). The tour manager told me in Bremen that they did a full two-hour soundcheck there at Schlachthof while in Hannover, they were done with it after 10 minutes, knowing, apparently, that it wouldn't make any difference anyway…

He also told me that on the bus from Berlin to Bremen Bent said sth like "Schlachthof is always great, we're gonna play a big set."

True words, and they lived up to it. :MPD:

in reply to: 22-05-23 Beatpol Dresden #39961
                    Great King Rat
                    Participant
                      Quote:
                      Did anyone else notice that Bent introduced Snah as Bent followed by 'And my name is Snah.'? Might be a running gag, I'm not sure if they did that in Leipzig a few years back.

He did that in Bremen, too.

in reply to: 2022-05-05 Bremen, Schlachthof #39822
                      Great King Rat
                      Participant

It was more than a solid gig for me, too, although I've had my share of Schlachthof shows. Explicitly compared to Hannover the sound was so much better, crystal clear up in the back where I was standing. The choice of songs and the atmosphere were quite different, too. And they were in a great mood, especially Bent who was being very silly at times. At one of the last choruses of STG he and Snah pointed the guitar necks down instead of up and Reine was confused for a sec. Then Bent turned to him grinning and taking the piss.

I was most impressed with an imo outstanding LLM and a fast Superstooge including a lot of really heavy jamming in the end. And the massive STG was a worthy first encore. They were at 2:25 h playing time then and they concluded with a convincing VS. For me, that finish would be the only thing that didn't entirely match up to the overwhelming shows I've seen there. A bit too obvious and not quite extraordinary enough, so to speak.

But that truly is only a minor critical aspect. It was a really great show with a good setlist and the band and the audience in a great mood, all coming together in that beautiful small amphitheatre Schlachthof.

@ Punj: I envy you for that experience a little bit. But glad you liked it!

@ KidA: Yes, the singing was a completely different league compared to Hannover.

in reply to: Discord server for discussions #39755
                        Great King Rat
                        Participant

Hi Vegard,

thanks for the effort. I just tried the link and it didn't really work out. First, I was asked to chose my Username, then I had to verify my account with an email address. That didn*t seem to be enough because after doing so I was asked to give my phone number for further verification, which I didn't.

So either discord requires a lot more registration and stuff which I`m not used to or the system doesn't really work well (with me) (yet).

But since I, too, felt the cold turkey yesterday, I'll eventually follow this forum wherever it might go.

Edit: Just tried the link again and got the message that the invitation is invalid. :(

in reply to: OT: Tool concert #39732
                          Great King Rat
                          Participant

Yes, I was surprised by the size of the event, too. But then again, if you make yourself as rare as they do, a lot of people will seize the opportunity to see you.

As for the prices, you could get in for (a little) less than 100 Euros but also pay up to 300 for the prime area in front of stage. They certainly try to earn as much money as possible. For instance, you could buy a tour poster for 70 Euros and signed one for 300!

in reply to: 2022-04-29 Malmö, Plan B #39741
                            Great King Rat
                            Participant

That's a lot of Golden Cores! I saw it only three times in well over 50 shows since 1999.

I feel the same about my location in northern Germany. Hamburg, Hannover and Bremen are within easy reach for me.

Have fun in Copenhagen!

in reply to: OT: Tool concert #39730
                              Great King Rat
                              Participant

I like the first three albums best, too, with Aenima being on top. Thus I was quite happy they played Push it and Hooker with a penis from that one (a long psychedelic trip and a short rocker) and one from each Undertow and Schism. And what a singer Maynard is! He's almost 60 now and still sounds like back in the 90s.

in reply to: s'Numbness – German quote in the beginning #39611
                                Great King Rat
                                Participant

Thanks, Ratmaus. Fates like hers were quite common after the war. A lot of people were moved during the war to the occupied territories in eastern Europe and had to flee after the Allies' victory over the Nazis.

So that article is about a 40 year jubilee of some sort of Snah's mum? I don't speak Norwegian but when reading it I recognize some words and I get the feeling that with some study I should be able to get the gist of texts like this one. I imagine when knowing German, English or maybe Dutch it shouldn't be to difficult to get a grip on Norwegian. But maybe that's a false impression. Are there people here who have studied Norwegian as a second language?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 234 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994