Punj Lizard

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 936 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: 2017-10-23 London, Islington O2 Academy #31097
    Punj Lizard
    Participant

[img]https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22780334_10155025900083321_8462923497638940545_n.jpg?oh=43c4acec0d647ae7581e8f6c8e9e1014&oe=5A6507D9[/img]

in reply to: 2017-10-23 London, Islington O2 Academy #31096
      Punj Lizard
      Participant

[img]https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22688784_10155025899943321_6154541203310525958_n.jpg?oh=7cf281a3270ae79833e15ec89055064a&oe=5AAC2881[/img]

in reply to: 2017-10-23 London, Islington O2 Academy #31095
        Punj Lizard
        Participant

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22687528_10155025899748321_1979892253762757221_n.jpg?oh=26470e836fd84e470beba3b9a686280f&oe=5A6927DE[/img]

in reply to: 2017-10-23 London, Islington O2 Academy #31094
          Punj Lizard
          Participant

@ coldnebraskablue – Great photos. And thanks for posting the setlist.

in reply to: 2017-10-23 London, Islington O2 Academy #31090
            Punj Lizard
            Participant

How do I post photos here?

in reply to: 2017-10-23 London, Islington O2 Academy #31088
              Punj Lizard
              Participant

What can I say! Not sure where to start. How about un-fucking-believable! Putting it into words, kind of diminishes the brilliance of it, but I'll try.

That was one hell of a gig. Overwhelming to say the least. The sheer no-holds-barred committment to being in the moment, but driving towards an unknown but transcendent destination. Karnevil9 said it beautifully "they just take you on a journey with their mesmerising jams and the way they build their sound to this complete tripped out Nirvana!" Fucking awesome Рcannot wait for K̦ln.

Setlist? My lack of experience combined with my being very stoned last night means there would be gaps and question marks here except that someone already posted on Setlist.fm. However, I have added one question mark here because I thought there was one more track – but I could easily be wrong – I wasn't keeping count :D

ASFE

Intrepid Explorer

Dream Home

The Alchemyst

Upstairs/Downstairs

Ship of Fools

Stained Glass

?

The Tower

Bartok

The Wheel

Plan #1

PPP

I believe they played for a little less than two hours. The audience was woefully thin, which I'm sure must have been disappointing for the band too, and might put them off coming here again. Nobody likes to play to only half-full venues.

Highlights: the whole freaking gig!

ASFE was a great opener. I was already psyched up for this so the energetic explosion of ASFE came on like a glorious late punk anthem and I was very, very close to pogoing (but at 55 my pogoing lacks the energy of years gone by ;) )

Intrepid Explorer – my first experience of the Motorpsycho tripped out jam. This blew my mind – the wall of sound, building by increments of volume, attack, colour, shade, everything. Heaven.

Upstairs/Downstairs – Beautiful, jazzy, trippy. HORN!!!

Stained Glass – I remember it as very laidback and trippy and one of the more luscious and quietly gorgeous moments of the evening. I defintiely swooned.

The Wheel – This was the longest track of the evening (longer than Ship of Fools). And was definitely a serious highlight. Again with the slowly building wall of sound, Kristoffer's persistent keyboard pushing through the surface then sinking back down, while all four members added brick upon heavier brick. Glorious.

PPP – As Karnevil9 says, a much-needed chill-out. A calming, affecting, beautiful ending to the evening,

Loved Kristoffer's horn and keyboards throughout the gig. His guitar was ok Рmore functional than anything, adding a layer and allowing Snah more room to do his thing. I could have done with Snah being a lot louder in the mix Рbut that's a minor issue. Hopefully this will not be an issue when I see them next, in K̦ln.

Tomas was superb – unobtrusive, complimentary, playing with both power and grace.

Being in the presence of Bent and Snah was a bit crazy. In the very short time since I was introduced to Motorpsycho and started to immerse myself in the music and then become rather obsessive with the whole Motorpsycho musical Weltanschauung (as I understand it with my limited experience), these two gentlemen have quickly become mythic figures of my imagination. To actually be there and see them in action was such a high.

This goes down as one of a number of remarkable gigs for me. I'd have to say Hawkwind and Neil Young and Crazy Horse are the only two other acts I can recall seeing play like this. Uncompromising in their dedication to creating a transcedent high not through the precise recreation of superb studio recordings, but through their interpretation as forces of energy, holding as fast as possible to the moment, to the immediacy of the live event. It's sad I never got into this band earlier, it really is. But then again, I'm so fortunate that I've now found them and that I was able to see them at all.

in reply to: 2017-10-23 London, Islington O2 Academy #31072
                Punj Lizard
                Participant

@ The Other Anders – Thanks. I just cannot wait! I'm sitting at home itching to leave the house and start the adventure … and the doors don't open for another six hours! Unfortunately there will be one (maybe two) support acts tonight, and the venue has an 11pm curfew, so I don't expect this to be a long gig. Thankfully I'll be seeing them in Köln too in a couple of weeks.

in reply to: 2017-10-23 London, Islington O2 Academy #31070
                  Punj Lizard
                  Participant

@ Halitosis If you're going tonight, maybe you can help with posting the setlist here later as there's a fair chance I won't know one or two of the tracks. And if you see a bespectacled tall guy in a light brown Magma T-shirt, come over and say Hi.

in reply to: 2017-10-23 London, Islington O2 Academy #31069
                    Punj Lizard
                    Participant

@Halitosis – I just looked up the capacity for this venue and it is indeed 800. I do know that in 2014 they played the Jazz Cafe, which apparently holds 420. From memory, the Borderline is smaller (I've been there a few times over the years), as is The Garage, which holds 600. So this might indeed be the biggest so far. To be honest, I should be surprised if it's sold out. It's a tragedy how little known they are over here. I was only just introduced to them a couple of months ago and I've been spreading the word as much as possible because MP are so far beyond pretty much every band out there (that I know of ;) ).

in reply to: New guy…Cheers to you all! #30976
                      Punj Lizard
                      Participant

Welcome psychonaut! I'm new here myself and only recently discovered Motorpsycho. But such is the attraction, I'll be making a trip from the UK to see them in Germany, in Köln on the 8th, as well as seeing them here in London on Monday. Enjoy the gig tonight :)

Punj Lizard
                        Participant

I watched the video link for "what went down last time" (thanks ThorEgil). Looks very cool. Wish I could understand what was being said though :/

in reply to: Hello! New member #30881
                          Punj Lizard
                          Participant

Just bought a ticket to see MP in Köln. :D

in reply to: Newbie #30931
                            Punj Lizard
                            Participant

Hi there, and welcome! I was a new member here just a couple of weeks back, having also only recently discovered MP. I've been looking fairly closely at the setlists and as far as I can ascertain, in the roughly dozen gigs they played in the first part of this tour, they played a total of about five hours' worth of different material. That included all bar the two shortest tracks from The Tower, though A Pacific Sonata was, I think, only played once. They also played several tracks from Angels and Daemons at Play. The remainder came from a whole array of albums as far back as Timothy's Monster.

Like you, I've come to MP from the prog side of things, but have been thoroughly enjoying the earlier material that I've heard so far – which is primarily AADAP and Trust Us, plus a few tracks here and there from Timothy's Monster and Blissard. Of these I am so far highly impressed by Trust Us – it's a proper tour de force. AADAP feels less consitent to me, but it does have the brilliant Un Chien d'Espace, which, if you get the deluxe edition, comes (as it did on the original three-EP release of the album) with Have Spacesuit Will Travel, which is also brilliant.

It seems to me that whetever direction anyone comes to MP, the journey is a mind-blowing trip, such is the consistent brilliance and eclectic nature of this band.

in reply to: Hello! New member #30880
                              Punj Lizard
                              Participant

@karnevil9 – I'll be at the Islington O2 too, which will also be my first MP gig. Hope you enjoy it.

in reply to: Question regarding merch – 2017 tour #30929
                                Punj Lizard
                                Participant

@ everyone – thanks for your responses. As far as AADAP boxset goes, I just couldn't wait for the gig to roll around, so ordered it yesterday; it should arrive today :) Looking forward to seeing what else they have at the merch desk, as long as the crowd isn't too thick. :?

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 936 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994