Punj Lizard

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 7 posts - 931 through 937 (of 937 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: 2017-09-28 Byscenen, Haugesund #30896
    Punj Lizard
    Participant

@kippenhok and tkm – Thanks for the further info. :)

in reply to: Hello! New member #30854
      Punj Lizard
      Participant

@Supernaut – Thanks for the welcome. I'm a huge Yes fan and it always seems weird to me when fans say they first got hooked on Yes through the 90125 album, which for me came out after I saw them fall apart and break up! And I wonder, how can you get into them through 90125 not have known Close to the Edge and the other albums of the 'classic' years. Nostalgia for sure plays a part in it. But as far as I can see, Motorpsycho are an exception to the rule that most bands are past their prime after the first (roughly) ten years. But who knows, I did read someone on this forum say that nothing they did after Trust Us comes anywhere close to the earlier material. Fair enough. We all come to music through different routes and with different histories and experiences. I'm just glad to be on this Motorpsycho ride now! :D

in reply to: 2017-09-28 Byscenen, Haugesund #30893
        Punj Lizard
        Participant

@mikke – Thanks. The recording on Starmelt sounds almost live – in fact at first I was sure it was a live recording. I can imagine it would be brilliant live, so I join you in your hope for it appearing on a future Roadwork album :D

in reply to: 2017-09-28 Byscenen, Haugesund #30891
          Punj Lizard
          Participant

So I just listened to Flick of the Wrist for the first time ever. Wow! Great guitar! Love it! I listened to it on Spotify where it's listed as part of the Starmelt EP, but is it on any album?

in reply to: Hello! New member #30852
            Punj Lizard
            Participant

@Be – I'm not concerned about the legality of it. I'm just not conversive enough with the Torrent concept to feel comfortable enough with it. Fear of the unknown? Luddite? Technophobe? I probaly need to get with the times ;)

There's no question that some audience tapers are excellent. There was a guy in the US in the 70s who used to tape shows by turning up at the concert in a wheelchair which had his equipment stuck to the underside of his chair (Mike Millard?). I have a couple of his Floyd boots that are very good indeed. I also know a long-time taper (Lostbrook) who produces some fantastic recordings – outstanding. If Dime allow samples that really helps – it's really just a matter of having limited time to listen – so preferring not to waste it on poor quality recordings. I can barely keep up with the official releases of bands I get new recommendations of – especially when, like Motorpsycho, they have 20+ albums to get to know! An embarrassment of riches I'm glad to have discovered. ;)

in reply to: Hello! New member #30850
              Punj Lizard
              Participant

I just noticed last night's setlist posted on setlist.fm. Unbelievable – two more tracks not played thus far on this tour! These guys do not let things get boring do they?! :D

in reply to: Hello! New member #30849
                Punj Lizard
                Participant

Thanks for the welcome and recommendations. As you all point out, I've not dug into the older material much – just the tracks that are being played this tour. I'm looking forward to hearing those albums. For now though, I'm savouring and trying to digest the ones I've already bought – and I'd like to keep some held back, so I have something to look forward to! I don't want to overeat and make myself sick ;)

The earliest of the albums I have is Trust Us, which is superb. What I find so amazing is MPs ability to stay fresh, to release album after album that not only veers into different territory, but remains true to a certain (psychedelic?) core. Moreover, that the quality remains high. Here Be Mosters, for example, is an album that (IMHO) stands out for being so beautifully laid-back, and seems on the face of it to be so different to the preceeding album (BTS), and yet it is unmistakably MP. And now The Tower, which is totally different again, and yet still dripping in MP DNA. And brilliant to boot.

Of course, these are all the rramblings of someone who hasn't heard half of MPs output, and has only been swimming in the MP sea for a couple of weeks – so excuse me if I sound like I'm talking rubbish, or preaching to the converted ;) I'm just blown away and can't help myself :)

Anyway, it's nearing 8:30 here in London and about time someone should be posting last night's setlist. Where is it? Where is it? Where is it?

@Be – thanks for the dimeadozen recommendation. I've been aware of dime for some years now, but I'm not keen on and don't link into torrent sites (it is a torrent site, isn't it?). But I do from time to time download boots from other sources, but I find the results are mixed in terms of quality and I hate wasting time listening to bad recordings when I could be listening to something else (there's only so much time available). I'll have to hunt down some MP recordings though. Any particularly classic recommendations from over the years? Soundboard recordings would be particularly welcome if you know of any.

Viewing 7 posts - 931 through 937 (of 937 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994