monomind

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: New/possible MP releases wishlist #28392

Not to be an arse, or open a can of worms from semi-forgotten times, but I personally wouldn't mind a CD release of Child of the Future.

in reply to: Supersonic Scientist – The book #28085
    in reply to: Supersonic Scientist – The book #28084

They seem to be getting attention from the Norwegian press today:

http://www.vg.no/rampelys/musikk/motorpsycho-gir-ut-samlealbum/a/23489161/

in reply to: Supersonic Scientist – The book #28083

What I've understood is that the book will contain stories about 15 songs. The same songs will feature on the album.

in reply to: Supersonic Scientist – The book #28082
    in reply to: Behind the Sun Lyrics #26021

The Promise

I'm hearing: "But there is something outside of this valley of consumer bliss".

in reply to: Still live with eggplant #23912
    Quote:
    I've heard this trilogy theory before, and I think it has some substance but there are albums which don't fit with the sequence, such as SLWE (surely this recent "prog trilogy" would be LLM, HMF and TDDU)…but where do COTF and BH/BC fit in?

Yeah, I dunno. I guess I just like the fact that the band is constantly evolving and that one should expect the unexpected from them. I always look forward to their next move. TDDU is not a "pure" MP album in my humble opinion, though. It's more of a stand alone, collaborative project. Kind of like Tussler, in that it features the band collaborating with others on something more "genre specific" (be it C&W, prog operas or motorsource assaults).

Of course, there's abolutely nothing indicating that the band is thinking in terms of trilogies. After all, sticking to patterns and conventions is not their style as such. So it's just the MP-geek in me creating theories.

in reply to: Still live with eggplant #23907

In my opinion, the new album is fantastic! It seems like the band has progressed while also taking a look into the rear view mirror. The results are stunning. The general lay out of the album is in keeping with the form that was established with LLM and HMF. The total playing time is relatively short, and one of the tunes has a considerable running time. Melodically, some of the songs, at least in parts, seem to reflect back on those poppy 2000s. At the same time, the progressive caracteristics of the later releases are further elaborated. The end result is an album that is well-balanced, challenging and engaging.

I wonder…those poppy 2000s consisted of three reltively "commmercial" albums. LLM, HMF and SLWE seems like a trilogy of more progressive material. Will the next release be yet another change? The beginning of a new trilogy, if you like? After all, It's been mentioned that another 10 songs were recorded during the SLWE sessions.

in reply to: is there any more music out there? #12904

The brilliant Ginger Wildheart is on his second pledge campaign. The first one was for a rather brilliant triple album, and the second and current one is for a double album of more extreme and experimental tunes as well as a noise pop project called Hey!Hello!

HEY!HELLO!

in reply to: Blissard – 4CD #22803

That track list almost made me drool. Blissard is one of my favourite MP albums, so I'm sure it's going to be an abolute joy to listen to the other songs they came up with during those sessions. I think I've heard most of the b-sides already, but having all those tunes in one box along with a heap of songs that I'm yet to hear is just brilliant.

I was excited about the TM re-release, but even more so with this one.

in reply to: 22.03.2012 – Tou Scene, Stavanger (NOR) #21864

Mountain was brilliant. The performance of TDDU was fantastic and, as pointed out by Barracuda, the sound and vibe was great.

A solid performance by the band. The vocal performances on some of the quiet bits were a bit under par, with the opening of Into the Gyre probably suffering the most. It's one of my favourite songs on the album, so I was slighlty disappointed with how the first part of the song came accross in the live setting.

Apart from that the gig was absolutely massive!

in reply to: Lost #22019

I love the album. In my personal opinion it's a continuation of the "return to form" that was kicked off with LLM. Having said that, I quite like their mid-2000 releases so….you know…I just gobble it up, really.

I quite like the fact that you never know what to expect from the band, and the fact that they are always striving towards expanding into new genres and experimenting with their sound is one of the things I consider so intriguing about the band.

I'll be going to see them live tonight.

Can't wait!

in reply to: THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN #21386

Serious monster bassness going on on the Unicorn, indeed.

I can't wait to hear them play this mammoth album live. Will be seing them in Stavanger on the 22nd March.

I've hardly listened to anything else since it was released (apart from "A Brief Crack of Light" by Therapy?), so hearing them play through the album live is like a dream come true…a dream that I wasn't aware of before the beginning of February.

in reply to: THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN #21315

This album is just growing and growing on me. I've listened to the album in full several times, but only in sequences (the kids have their wonderful ability to keep me on my toes, thus making it difficult to get a full 80 minutes of bliss in one sitting).

But, yeah. The album is really starting to sink in, and it's revealing itself in new ways all the time. La Lethe, for instance, is a tune that didn't click with me at first, but I had a listen to it on my way to work this morning and it's just wonderful.

Tomorrow morning I'm doing a 2 hour drive to attend a meeting out of town. So between 07:30 and 09:30 I'll be in my car, heading south listening to the Death Defying Unicorn in one sitting. Can't wait :)

in reply to: THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN #21297

Holy crap! This album is amazing. I've used every occasion to listen to it this weekend, and I'm being more and more blown away by it. Such a stunningly rich an varied release. Stand out tracks so far are Through the Veil, Into the Gyre (great melody…Supernaut: this one's memorable, I'd say), Oh, Proteus – A Prayer (again, the melody), Sharks, Mutiny! and Into the Mystic.

Having said that, this is not an album where the quality of individual songs is of most importance. It's an album that works as a very complete piece of art, and deserves to be listened to from start to finish.

There's a pretty big chance of this album being on top of my albums of the year-list by the end of 2012.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994