2017-10-23 London, Islington O2 Academy

Home Forums Setlists 2017-10-23 London, Islington O2 Academy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Punj Lizard
    Participant

And so the day arrives when I go to see Motorpsycho for the first time. I'm beyond excited. I'll post a report later.

Is this the biggest venue the band have played in the UK?

I'm thinking about the gigs I've been to – some terrible pub in Nottingham, The Borderline, The Garage – and they're all quite a bit smaller than 800 capacity. I have missed a couple, mind you, so I might be wrong.

Punj Lizard
      Participant

@Halitosis – I just looked up the capacity for this venue and it is indeed 800. I do know that in 2014 they played the Jazz Cafe, which apparently holds 420. From memory, the Borderline is smaller (I've been there a few times over the years), as is The Garage, which holds 600. So this might indeed be the biggest so far. To be honest, I should be surprised if it's sold out. It's a tragedy how little known they are over here. I was only just introduced to them a couple of months ago and I've been spreading the word as much as possible because MP are so far beyond pretty much every band out there (that I know of ;) ).

Punj Lizard
        Participant

@ Halitosis If you're going tonight, maybe you can help with posting the setlist here later as there's a fair chance I won't know one or two of the tracks. And if you see a bespectacled tall guy in a light brown Magma T-shirt, come over and say Hi.

The Other Anders
          Participant

@Punj Lizard: Enjoy your first concert! Looking forward to the setlist.

Will they go back to the "standard" setlist of the tour which we saw smaller variations of until Bremen, or have they already left this first phase and entered the famous (true) middle part of the tour where they usually peak in energy and creativity?

Punj Lizard
            Participant

@ The Other Anders – Thanks. I just cannot wait! I'm sitting at home itching to leave the house and start the adventure … and the doors don't open for another six hours! Unfortunately there will be one (maybe two) support acts tonight, and the venue has an 11pm curfew, so I don't expect this to be a long gig. Thankfully I'll be seeing them in Köln too in a couple of weeks.

The Other Anders
              Participant

Yes, it's they way it usually works in London, unless you have draw enough to fill the venue all by yourself. Let's hope you're lucky and only get one support band!

Best I can tell from the poster, the support is a band called Sleep Token – https://sleeptoken.bandcamp.com

Be
                Participant

Are they still playing? :lol:

TraktorBass
                  Participant

Longest show ever..

WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What an incredible experience my first ever Motorpsycho gig. I swear I felt like I was on a trip, this music and the sound and graphics were like nothing I've ever experienced before. Almost impossible to put into words.

They played a lot from The Mountain 6 tracks I think and a few that I didn't know. It didn't matter what the set was, I was not prepared for how they just take you on a journey with their mesmerising jams and the way they build their sound to this complete tripped out Nirvana! It finished with a chill out via pills powders and passion plays and boy did we need it. It felt like i was 22 again post rave. Still not quite come down. One of the best gigs I've ever been at. My mind is blown

supernaut
                    Participant

And where's Punji? Still at the venue, trembling in disbelief? :)

supernaut
                      Participant

How long did they play? How many people? Their reaction? I assume many peeps saw them for the first time due to some reputation…

Just over a couple of hours, including 1 encore of "Pills Powders and Passionplays". We also got "The Alchemyst", "Upstairs Downstairs", "Stained Glass" and an immense "The Wheel". It was great :-)

Support band were Sleep Token, they were good too, a kind of trip-hop ambient death metal outfit (sorry, it's the best way I can describe it). A few of the crowd knew their stuff.

Probably a couple of hundred people there, so far from busy; lots of room to move about though.

22713598_10154685751851741_4727426989687454670_o.jpg

Flippern
                        Participant

Sounds great. Anyone got the setlist?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994