2018-11-11 Forum, Bielefeld

Home Forums General 2018-11-11 Forum, Bielefeld

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    otherdemon
    Participant

@Punj: Yeah, normally I don't care much for prog-lyrics because, like you, I focus more on the musical content. But great lyrics can enhance already spectacular music.

And Hammill's got a bunch of 'em.

I was only able to listen to Lux Aeterna twice this morning before I popped off to work. But I'm sure the rest of Spacebandit's recording is A+++ :lol:

marc
      Participant

Gentlemen, you really triggered my curiosity regarding that Lux Aeterna recording. I am 100% unfamiliar with Dime/Motortrades though. Is there any way for me to get a hand on it? @Spacebandit, thanks for the recording/sharing effort!

TraktorBass
        Participant

I am super curious as well, but currently at work. If there was some other way to listen that would be awesome.

Punj Lizard
          Participant

Just listened to the luxurious Lux again – oh my.

supernaut
            Participant

Maybe it's the recording that reveals different frequencies, but the riffing in Starhamster's verses seems to be tinkered with a little. Some oddish chords and notes… love it!

Phoots Flower
              Participant

@spacebandit Thanks!!!

I Will wait to Motortrades

TraktorBass
                Participant

The Lux Aeterna chorus is basically In the Court of the Crimson King, but with Keith Moon on drums..

edit: And that's not a bad thing at all!

Guybrush Threepwood
                  Participant

A Review (only in German):

Neue Westfaelische

Johnny_Heartfield
                    Participant

I hear some typical VdGG inverted heavy riffing in Lux Aeterna – especially clear in the Erlangen recording.

btw: Peter Hammill is God! And devil at the same time. With lots of demons in between…

The only other singer I can compare Hammill with is the great late Ronnie James Dio. Strange?

The enormous range of expressions between soft, soothing tones and full-on aggression – both sometimes in danger of losing themselves in their mannerisms (especially in their late periods) but still outstanding. Sometimes unnerving, but still always capable of vocally luring you into another musical adventure.

As for the alledged VdGG prog sterility – that's a fate they share with 80s and 00's Crimson. Still able to spawn beautiful and majestic tunes, but always tempted by dry chord mathematics. Well – bands sometimes dry out with old age. That's what makes the last few VdGG releases hard to listen at times for me.

Their best gig after the 2005 reunion is probably the enormous Paradiso 2007 concert – although in trio format, without Jackson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiNDN6igr2M

But back to Lux Aeterna – and trying to top a weird comparison: To me it sounds like Van der Graaf Generator playing on the same stage with 1974 Barclay James Harvest in the court of the crimson king. Quite a disparate yellow jester, isn't it?

eddy_t
                      Participant

Blew my mind again – the band was really on point!

As I am new here: how does that motortrades thing work?

Spacebandit
                        Participant

Hi, thanks for all the nice words about my recording. Would've been impossible without

the permission from the band and venue. About the VdGG thing…Under my MP Hoodie (I

didn't put on a DEAD as usual) I wore a VdGG Godbluff shirt. Figuring out about the

"Stack situation" Reine got me UPSTAIRS to the backstage area. After a few minutes of

"meet and hello" with both Bent and Reine somehow the conversation drifted towards

musical experiences. Me – as a taper – threw in: "Something to avoid a bad recording".

And I made three examples…

a) Phil Lesh (Grateful Dead) – Eugene Oregon 1994-06-19 (or was it the 18th?) –

"The other one" bass roll let the whole stadium shiver…physical experience.

Did youever feel a concrete stadium shaking below you? Maybe at an earthquake.

b) VdGG – 2005-11-05 – Leverkusen, Germany … when Hugh Banton pushed the pedal of

his keyboards…my recording vanished into "wooooooooooshhhhh". Unlistenable.

Even the official release from Rockpalast is marred by that.

c) Do not stand in front of Bent if you want a good recording. At least get your head down

before he steps on the Taurus. Might save your hairs. And other things as well…

So, this is the story behind that VdGG affection.

And do I dare to tell you:

VdGG is my favourite so-called "Progband" ever. Nothing comes close.

And I don't really like that CRIMSON KING(S) too much. A few fine albums in the early 70's

but all others were not impressive to me. Then I'd better head for some Coltrane, Miles,

early Dead or spaced out Kraut (CAN).

supernaut
                          Participant

guess I need to dig into VdGG. which album to start with?

otherdemon
                            Participant

@supernaut: Personally I think H to He is the most consistent VDGG album all the way through. My personal faves though are located on Pawn Hearts (Man-Erg, approx. half of Plague) and Still Life (Pilgrims + title track)

It depends what kind of prog you like. Maybe a compilation is best checking out?

eddy_t
                              Participant

@supernaut: at the interface between VdGG's classical prog and the more poppy phase maybe dig into "Godbluff"! Best of both worlds in some sense and highly recommended!

supernaut
                                Participant

thanks guys, listening to H to He at the moment. First impression: I'm liking vintage recordings more and more, these airy transparent mixes of the olde days. My ears got a bit tired of modern brickwall in your face music.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994