31.07.2014 – Nidarosdomen, Trondheim (NO)

Home Forums General 31.07.2014 – Nidarosdomen, Trondheim (NO)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Rolf
    Participant

Well. This was interesting, and different! Very Motorpsycho, but the choir and organ added a whole new level. I find it hard to describe after hearing it only once. But it was very majestic, monumental and epic! My personal favorites were the "Bm theme" they played on the previous concert at Nidarosdomen, and the grand(iosa) finale. Wow, heavy and beautiful stuff! The choir made me feel like I was at, I don't know, a Greek theatre? I didn't get a particularly good seat, but I could see Bent and even from far away it was obvious that he was really digging this! The light / visual effects show was a disappointment though, at least from my point of view. It was announced as spectacular, but I found it to be rather boring and for a lot of the time it seemed like the projectors were just projecting a fairly nice thing put on repeat with no connection to the music that was being played. It was a whole lot better at the previous concert in Nidarosdomen! My friends agreed, but they were also seated in the same area, so maybe we just didn't see the cool stuff?

As for the lyrics, they were very hard to hear during the concert except some words and phrases here and there. Thankfully they did print them in the program we were given at the entrance. I haven't taken a good hard look at them, but they seem pretty cool. Lots of play with words and phrases and (as expected) tons of references to Norwegian culture, traditions and themes. It would be damn hard to translate most of them – it would take at least a translator on the level of those who translate The Odyssey from the original Greek while preserving rhymes, rhythm and meaning. A lot of the lyrics are mostly long words made up of shorter words in the vein of, say, combining "engagement", "mentor" and "ornate" into "engagementornate", with the added difficulty of Norway-specific things. Example: "NAVarsætrespatexwillersen", made up of "NAV", "Navarsæte", "Sætre", "Respatex", "Tex Willer", "-sen". Another example: "Ekteskapekatt", made up of "ekteskap" (marriage) and "apekatt" (monkey). In any case, the lyrics are interesting and funny and seem to both describe the Norwegian spirit/society as well as critize parts of it at times. It's hard to describe it any better than that…

One thing I didn't particularly like were the organ interludes. They seemed a bit nonsense to me.

And as for recordings: I did record it, but my recording turned out to be shit. Probably because I had to use a new device I'm not too familiar with, and I discovered (when I got back home) that it automatically sets the input level too high when you turn it on, even though I had set it at the correct level earlier. Turns out that turning the device off and on again resets the input level to a level much higher than it should be… Therefore my recording is mainly noise except for the very quiet parts. Also, because of the recent terror threat against Norway, there was actually police present and walking right by me as the show started, so I didn't want to risk anything and just put the recorder in my pocket and hoped for the best. I don't think I'd be taken as a terrorist, but it might look suspicious if they saw the microphone cables and stuff… That being said, as you probably know the show was professionally recorded and filmed, and according to Adressa it will be released. I also know of at least one more unofficial recording, but I don't know yet how that one turned out. If it's good it'll probably be shared online. :)

kjellepelle
      Participant
        kjellepelle
        Participant
          v1

So I hope that all of you guys had another great time in the Cathedral!

@Mari: have a nice stay up there! if you read this, I would be grateful if you could write me Hello! @ my mail: snahisgod@gmail.com, I have to ask you one thing. Thanx!

@V1: Thanks, I'm really enjoying my days in Trondheim!

I sent u the email.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994