Black Hole / Blank Canvas vinyl back in stock on Friday 09 of september 2016

Home Forums General Black Hole / Blank Canvas vinyl back in stock on Friday 09 of september 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    kjellepelle
    Participant
      rtv
      Participant

plain black inners?

Wulf
        Participant

Plain black inners.

Besides the missing inners, the cardboard sleeve feels a bit thinner and more white than the original from 2006. The records have got a brand new pressing. (Not a repress from old matrixes) The 2016 cut seems to be better than the 2006 cut. The sound feels more clear. There's more details to be heard. It's a loud and heavy cutting, but not too loud as the 2006 version seems to have been (compared to this version) The pressing plant have made deeper groves so the record even looks better. My conclusion: Better sound and better looking records. A bit cheaper cover without printed inners.

rtv
          Participant

Just receive it. @gandalf37: I go for the better sound :STG:

pfft
            Participant

What a HUGE disappointment!

I've been waiting for a vinyl reissue of this for years, since this is the only MP release I (for some reason) never bought when it was released. Why in God's name didn't Stickman keep the printed inner sleeves?!? They even said on the FB page that this repress would be identical to the 2006 release.

Cheap (as in cheap looking) reissues with incomplete artwork should NOT happen in 2016! Especially when we're not getting a heads-up.

Well. As mentioned, the vinyl itself is better than the original both visual and in sound quality. I am happier with a new pressing with better sound, than a repress of the old one. Even if the inners were printed as on the original this record would get an own submission on Discogs because it's a new pressing. Stickman have tried to make identical copies, but have failed over the last years. The last identical repress they did was Phanerothyme in 2010-12. Later attempts of making identical copies have been spoiled by the guys at the pressing plant putting extra letters and signs in the runout. The mad part of us Psychonauts who are collecting absolutely everything, quickly spot such variants.

But… The reissue is not cheap looking at all. It have black polylined inners instead of the stiff "almost" cardboard inners on the original. The records of the 2006 version got their first hairlines and scratches already when they were taken out of the inners the first time. The sleeve itself looks exactly like the 2006 version, and you have to have both versions in hand to tell which is which. I have stored the 2006 version in my "crypt", and will have the 2016 version to play.

pfft
              Participant

That's all well and dandy for you "Psychonauts who are collecting absolutely everything" and already have a copy of the original, but are you telling me that you don't see a problem with the fact that "new" buyers don't get what they were promised?

Of course it's a good thing that this repress sounds better (according to you), but that's not my point at all. And what does it matter how the vinyl "looks"? I don't listen with my eyes. Neither do I have any problems with extra/different letters and signs in the runout area. That just shows who pressed and mastered the record.

What I do care about is the fact that I am missing out on the crucial info and artwork that's on the inner sleeves, and if that doesn't make the whole package feel cheap, I don't know what does.

Also, I don't see any problem with stiff inner sleeves. If you know what you're doing it's easy to get the record out without scratching it, and I always have a stack of new polylined inners ready for use anyway.

What Stickman should do here is to press a new run of inner sleeves and mail them out to everyone who has ordered the repress from them. Plain and simple.

Yeah. You got a point about the inners and missing info. I am totally agreeing about that. And by the way.. it was me that asked about the identical repress at FB. I didn't believe that the new version could be exact the same as the original so I ordered the new one to see with my own eyes. I was a bit surprised to see that the record was that different from the 2006 version. I suggest that you keep looking for the 2006 version. This reissue should have made the original cheaper. Perhaps Stickman make a repress of the 2016 version in the future. Then the inners should be enclosed.

If someone with the 2006 version can scan the inner sleeves and post them here in high resolution, it'll be fairly easy to print and make your own..

supernaut
                Participant
                  Quote:
                  If someone with the 2006 version can scan the inner sleeves and post them here in high resolution, it'll be fairly easy to print and make your own.

Another problem easily solved. :) All this complaining everywhere about everything. :|

And I would scan it but my little scanner wouldn't pick up the whole sleeve's size…

Anyone want to buy the original from me?

pfft
                  Participant
                    Quote:
                    If someone with the 2006 version can scan the inner sleeves and post them here in high resolution, it'll be fairly easy to print and make your own.

Another problem easily solved. :) All this complaining everywhere about everything. :|

I see. I guess you have an original, too…

Do you really think it's so unreasonable to complain about missing artwork and lyrics? I bet Kim Hiorthøy isn't too happy that the buyers only get part of the work he did for the album.

rtv
                    Participant

I'm very happy with the vinyl. A bit disappointing missing the complete inners..yeah. Sure it's not unreasonable to complain about it. To scan and print it easy yourself is BS!

tkm
                      Participant

I guess you have complained directly to Stickman and not just here.. Any answers from them?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994