INTO THE MAELSTROM documentary (2019)

Home Forums General INTO THE MAELSTROM documentary (2019)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Johnny_Heartfield
    Participant

Great work! Just about to watch it – 10 minutes through, but already exciting!

What a TREAT! This is indeed just what I’ve been waiting for; getting the guys to speak! Great insights & great production, 6/6, thanks! I know this is the premiere tonight, but anyway, please: More!;) We need more oral history regarding MP, this is important stuff you’re doing. Thanks for the hard work Bernie and Sam, all the best! ❤️

ThorEgil
      Participant

Sure did Bernie – and the result exceeds any and all expectations :cheers:

ffbernie
        Participant

hey thanks everyone…really moved by all the reactions. That makes it all worthwile. I had all of you in mind while making it x Bernie

supernaut
          Participant

I hope each and everyone of us has a cherished copy of Rainbow's Rising album. Because if that record hadn't happened, something else might not have happened ever.

ffbernie
            Participant

might be fun if everyone picks a quote they really like and explain what they like about it…just an idea..;might be nice to bundle it and present it to the band x bernie

supernaut
              Participant

oh i will. there are so many. Snah's ending quote haha, but also many others… sometimes I feel like Bent is my mind-twin. From Kiss to Purple, then skipping the 80ties except The Cure for the same reasons and landing back in the then present with Hüsker Dü and Dinosaur Jr.

Tomas' observations and comments are very interesting, as in how, as the newbie, to get inside the inner workings of the group. He's like a gateway for us outsiders, touching upon stuff Bent and Hans never would mention because to them it's become so natural and common like breathing and therefore not mentioned.

and that "Gutan I Skogen" snippet, oh wow… is there a proper recording of a whole version like this somewhere? Or is it sadly a lost (or rather missed) possibility for a Golden Vortex classic? Sounds fantastic! And great choice to end the film. :)

ffbernie
                Participant

@Supernaut : the phenomenal Gutan I Skogen jam is from a Manmower version…it has always been my favourite MP live moment http://www.motorpsychodelicclips.com/reflektor/manmower-incl-gutan-i-skogen-theme

Tomcat
                  Participant

Thanks so much for your work Bernie (and Sam) – I feel almost like after a good mp concert, not being able to find words … you extracted the core of motorpsycho with such great images and music and settings. Most intimate, wow. So many highlights. Also a great climax, wonderful choice of songs – Fools Gold = brilliantly placed and moving to tears in combo with that unexpected "Gutan I Skogen" peeling out of Manmower (2:0 for Belgium ;) ) There's so much in this. So much of our own lives as well while following the timeline. Damn we're getting old!

ffbernie
                    Participant

@Tomcat : thanks man…choosing music for this film was incredibly hard. It was very tempting to just put in my personal favourites but I had to choose the ones that served the story (improv, jazz rock,…) AND they had to be of decent enough quality. its not a classic greatest hits selection. Im glad you like it x bernie

supernaut
                      Participant

thanks bernie!

ah if only there was a motorpsycho videoclips site with a search function… erm… oh….. 8O i guess i was too far in the zone after watching the film. :D

Tomcat
                        Participant

Great idea with the quotes :-)

Spontaneously I got the most "news'n'views" from what Tomas said, I especially like how you cut his King Crimson quote :P

otherdemon
                          Participant

That was great stuff. Thanks a lot Bernie for making this documentary happen.

Invaluable insight into the minds of the musical geniuses that is MP!

And I agree about the Manmower/Gutan i Skogen segment ending the doc. One of

the highlights of recent MP live years! I remember saying in the Begynnelser thread

that I thought that track worked well on its own without the visual accompaniment

of the theater play. Maybe they read the forum, and took notice of that comment :lol:

But it was quite blasphemous of Tomas to refer to Led Zeppelin as SHIT. :twisted:

Punj Lizard
                            Participant

@Tomcat – Yes! The King Crimson cut was brilliant. So well edited. And as a quote, this has to be one of my favourites, especially because, as @otherdemon says, it is so blasephmous to describe Led Zeppelin as lousy, crap. :lol: :lol:

Tomas: "My dad introduced me to Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix … and then he made one mistake: he went to put on Red by King Crimson … and then after that, Led Zeppelin. That was a bad move. Led Zep was complete bullshit to me because Bill Bruford, King Crimson, [as an] 8-year-old drummer at home you're going bananas. And then you hear Led Zeppelin. This is lousy, crap – that's what I thought at that point, because nothing was as cool as King Crimson. So what you should do is Deep Purple, Sabbath, Zeppelin … then Crimson."

Tomcat
                              Participant

That was fast – just wanted to turn that right as well ;-)

Honestly: After KC RED any drummer sounds lame, even Bonzo. That is what his otherwise obviously very passionate and wise dad did wrong = the order of introducing those two bands ;-) I love those little details.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 91 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994