Roadburn 2018 – setlist speculation

Home Forums Setlists Roadburn 2018 – setlist speculation

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Punj Lizard
    Participant

I've recently turned to wondering just what kind of a set MP might play at Roadburn. Last year's schedule indicates bands get no longer than 1hr 15mins per set. Some bands, like God Speed You and Earthless will be performing more than one set, so even though MP won't be getting that privilege, they might yet be given one double slot.

If, however, they do only get to play a 1hr 15min set, what would they play? And how might they tailor it to a Roadburn audience?

I'd like to think that they'll aim to make that 75mins a total space jam. I could easily imagine a setlist comprising K9, The Wheel, Mountain and Plan #1. Or is that just my wishful thinking ;)

Any thoughts?

Johnny_Heartfield
      Participant

Clearly wishful thinking. You can count yourself lucky if you get one of Un Chien, Wheel or Mountain in one set. Two of them already happened, but very seldom.

On the other hand Plan #1 is quite regular – I personally could do without it by now, but there you go…

pfnuesel
        Participant

My gut feeling says K9 is way more regular than Plan #1.

Punj Lizard
          Participant

@ Johnny – Aha! This is where my lack of experience gives way to your more extensive knowledge. My main intention here is just to speculate on the type of set it might be. The tracks were simply ones I thought might make up a 75 min setlist for such an event. I could just have easily suggested K9, The Tower, Demon Box and Lacuna/Sunrise … or K9, HBM and Taifun. My hope is for a space jam type of set, but who knows. This is just speculation for fun.

supernaut
            Participant

What do they choose to play for a mixed crowd not so familar with them? Maybe a lot off The Tower and a couple of new jams and one or two boogie oldies like Neverland or Vanishing Point for fun. And open with All Is Loneliness and close with Taifun.

Johnny_Heartfield
              Participant

@ pfnuesel: You're almost right – setlist fm lists 194 Chiens and 177 Plans. And yet you cannot be sure to expect a K9 every second gig. And how could they play K9 to death? Lots of variations over the years…

@ supernaut: for comparison look at festival setlists from Herzberg Festival 2008, 11 and 15 or Freak Valley 2014 – always a good mix of some recent stuff with one or two oldies and lots of jamming, sometimes the odd cover mixed in, mostly Into The Sun.

Punj Lizard
                Participant

Interesting stats and info there. Now I'm just waiting to wake up tomorrow to read tonight's setlist! And to see if Kristoffer joined them. :D

fuzzrules
                  Participant

MP scheduled on Roadburns mainstage 15:10 – 17:10 (two hours!!), Friday 20th April

Tomcat
                    Participant

Damn, that's early!

Punj Lizard
                      Participant

That is early!. I hope you can make it Tomcat (and everyone else who was planning on coming along). But the best news is … a proper two hour slot – not the 1 hr 10-15 mins everyone got last year! :D

pfnuesel
                        Participant

I don't mind that they are playing that early. I can get drunk at any time of the day. However, 2 hours just doesn't cut it for me. I know, it's relatively generous. But even a 3 hours set feels too short, so I won't settle for 2 hours only.

Punj Lizard
                          Participant

As I've only seen them twice, I'll take two hours any time. But I also have a ticket to see them two days earlier in Alkmaar, which should be longer.

If I remember correctly, I once read in an article that the bands at Roadburn sorta get to choose the length of their time slot? Think the band has then picked the maximum allowed slot of 2 hours =p

15:00 is a bit early tho, but luckily I don't have to travel that far!

nicoot
                            Participant

Would've been worse it it were 15h10 on Thursday, the first day. OK, it's early, but it's the second day. Everyone's there by then already, no? 2 years ago Cult of Luna opened the festival on Thursday as the very first band. Somewhere along the highway in its entirety. That was rough! Luckily they've torn down the walls of 013.

Blashyrkh
                              Participant

Are there a lot here that are going to Roadburn?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994