slottsfjell, Tønsberg 16/07/09

Home Forums Setlists slottsfjell, Tønsberg 16/07/09

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

no evil

new song

new song

all is lonelyness

greener

new song

kill devil hills

the alchemist

walking on the water

Aprox 65 min. Waaay to short, but great show anyway

Evol
    Participant

And approx one minute of (the intro to) Flick of the Wrist during the jam on the end of Greener…

otherdemon
      Participant
        Evol
        Participant
          Quote:
          (Sorry for the insanely long link )

Don’t do that again! It took me about 10 minutes to write it correct in the browser!

GBD
          Participant

Heh funny that they mentioned Bents last name as Sæther, and Ryan as H.M. Snah :) Nice pic tho!

TraktorBass
            Participant

Oh man, this was a great gig! The new songs are proggy as all hell, and Bent was in a really good mood, smiling and rocking out hard, awesome. Easily the best gig at Slottsfjell, and the best I have seen them since 07.

TraktorBass
              Participant

Video from the gig, Tønsberg Blad: http://tb.no/section/TBTV/1536&id=6953

GBD
                Participant

That song they played there sounds mighty cool. Too bad those freakin’ morons in the audience couldn’t shut up (this was also mentioned as a problem in the Lydverket Review)

marc
                  Participant

wow, judging from the video i am really excited to hear the new songs. great to see them back on the groovy side again. like that aspect of mp much better than when they are racing through the songs like mad.

otherdemon
                    Participant

The song(s?) from the video sounded really promising, yes. But the vocals… 8O

Man oh man, were they out of tune, or what? :D

otherdemon
                      Participant

Double post. But the COTF material sounds really promising with this vid and that

Youtube vid.

TraktorBass
                        Participant

Yeah, it’s really hard rock with a prog tint.. one of the songs had longer sections in 11/8, sounded like the bastard child of hard King Crimson andFragile/CttE Yes sans Wakeman, amazing stuff.

Bent was headbanging like a champ, too! Good times were had both on and in front of the stage, I guess :)

I agree with traktorbass. amazing new songs, good show, a bit short offcourse. but good times :D

shakti
                          Participant

I’m a little late to the party, but I have to add my comments. I thought this gig *rocked* in a huge way. I’ve seen them maybe 25 times since ’97, and this gig was possibly the best I’ve seen since ’99, no less! That may not be fair to some great shows I saw around 2000-2001, but it was hard not to shake the feeling that they were on the decline early in this decade, and they’ve been struggling to re-gain their strength since then.

I though BHBC was an amazing return to form on record, but the shows with Jacco were mostly lacklustre (save for the short Norwegain fall tour of 2006, which was actually quite superb!). LLM and the first two years with Kenneth Kapstad brought some great moments, but I hadn’t quite heard any of the “old” magic…that is until this show.

I was dead center front row on purpose; outdoor stage and a bit windy, which screws with the PA sound big-time. I had a perfect mix of the stage sound where I was, I could hear both Bent and Snah distinctly, and hearing the drums is never a problem…I couldn’t hear the vocals very well, unfortunately, but hearing Snah’s details more than made up for it.

In short, the whole band was *on* from the very first note. I haven’t heard them as tight and telepathic as this since the glory days of Geb. Kenneth finally seems to have found his place; I thought he was great but a bit “too” heavy-hitting and all over the place the first few times I saw him. Simply put, I think he shows a much better understanding of the music and his role in it now. In short, much more musical. Which applies to the band as a whole – they are now, IMHO, a fully organic entity again, an element which has been somewhat missing for a good while now seemed to be back. Effortless, yet complex and hard all at the same time.

Both Bent and Snah were *on fire* throughout. Bent really seemed to enjoy himself much more than I’ve seen for many, many years. Snah was simply stupendously good!

Finally a few words about the new songs. I must say I *loved* them on first listen! Complex hard rocking riffs, tempo changes, funky rhythms…progressive cock rock, if that makes sense! Truly progressive yet classic power trio rock. Maybe not so much psychedelic or spacey, but the way the songs ebbed and flowed in an organic way meant that I didn’t really miss that either.

Can’t wait to hear the new album, and even less to see them again playing a full show. The fact that they were cut short after only 1 hr was simply a scandal! They were the last band on the stage, on the other side of the mountain from where Big Bang were about to go on, but apparently the whole festival management seemed set on making Big Bang the big name this day. No offense, they’re a good band, but don’t hold a candle to Motorpsycho. Particularly this special night!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994