Tønsberg (NOR), Haugar 14/08/21

Home Forums General Tønsberg (NOR), Haugar 14/08/21

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    shakti
    Participant

From memory…

The Waning

Kingdom of Oblivion

Little Lucid Moments

United Debased

In Every Dream Home

The Transmutation of Cosmoctopus Lurker

N.O.X.

Like Chrome

———

Stardust

Big Surprise

Feel

total time approx 2:20

Highlights: LLM final section noise/weird-out, Cosmoctopus (awesome) and N.O.X. (as expected). Downers: Snah vocals even worse than usual (but Bent OK), missing Ny Lang and ny Halvlang. But it’s inspiring to see the band put on a show

of material almost exclusively from the last two albums.

Tomcat
      Participant

Thank you for the setlist and review – good to see "United Debased" being performed again :)

shakti
        Participant

I’d say it was a good, but not outstanding show. Bent and Snah both seemed maybe a little tired, possibly after draining studio sessions in the preceding week. So it felt a little bit like they were, if not exactly «going through the motions», then doing the job but not having the extra gear to shift into.

However, it shows how far they have come as a band with Tomas. The show consisted of nearly exclusively Tomas-era material, and there was not one attempt at crowd-pleasing save for the encore. Pretty uncompromising stuff, even though the KoO material leans a bit too much towards the stonery heavy rock sound and too little psychonautisms for my taste, so it got a wee bit samey sounding during the first hour. Some songs were fairly shaky during the vocal parts, at least the ones sung by Snah (sorry Snah, love you to bits but last night his vocals were awful even by his standards), but picked up as soon as the instrumental parts took over. As far as a band playing together, they are as good or maybe even better than ever, not least due to Tomas who delivered beyond requirements again and again.

BTW, Like Chrome was sung by Snah which was unusual. Really missed Bent’s voice on that one.

N.O.X. was just as amazing live as I hoped, really another stone cold Motorpsycho classic.

It also speaks volumes that the band can deliver a show with absolutely no Geb-era classics (except for the encore) and yet the only thing I was craving was for more new songs! Really bummed we didn’t get Azrael or Ancient Astronauts (presuming they are Ny Lang/Halvlang) after they had played one or both of them at all(?) gigs this summer, or any of the new acoustic ones.

The gig took place outdoors in a museum courtyard on a hill in the middle of Tønsberg. I guess they had to confer to a curfew, as they started on the spot at 20:00 and played a main set of 2 hours, then quieted down with an acoustic encore.

ffbernie
          Participant
            suntripper
            Participant

Thanks, Rock20 Smestad, whoever you are.

(also look for Kingdom of Oblivion clip)

ffbernie
              Participant

courtesy of Terje Johanson… http://www.motorpsychodelicclips.com/

boomer former helm
                Participant

Thank you Bernie. Honestly, from what I see I would say it was a really good concert. The Waning is nailed perfectly, LLM over the top. I cant really say something about Snahs singing, as in the released clips he did not sing much. But his guitarsound and playing was incredible

supernaut
                  Participant

thx bernie!

Will NOX and Like Chrome be uploaded, too?

ffbernie
                    Participant

@SUPERNAUT yes…but my weekly upload has reached its limit…the rest should b up in a few days x bernie

supernaut
                      Participant

:D

shakti
                        Participant

The playing was top notch, make no mistake. And there were plenty of moments of absolute greatness, and overall a very high level. N.O.X. was off the chart great. Just missing the last «X» factor that happens once in every 20 or 30 gigs. That, and Snah’s vocals…. ;)

ffbernie
                          Participant

the whole show is up now… http://www.motorpsychodelicclips.com/ thanks again to Terje for the work…I think its great (almost no vocals and loud guitars) :-)

supernaut
                            Participant

thx again!

Spacebandit
                              Participant

Complete Audio in 24/48 is up on Dime.

Please spread as I enjoyed listening to this show.

Do not critize the band. As I know, the DEAD always took a few daze to get the things rolling…waiting for the next one…

boomer former helm
                                Participant

Thank you guys. Wow, NOX. What a blast.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994