The Crucible (Feb 15, 2019)

Home Forums General The Crucible (Feb 15, 2019)

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 232 total)
  • Author

Got mine today! What a weird record!

Fiske Boll
    Participant

Yup, really.

Only got one chance to spin through the record yesterday. First impressions are really good. Of course it could be longer, but we are spoiled after all.

There is a lot to dig into here. Gongs, horns, mellotron, really weird guitar solos with even weirder sounds, great riffs and great melodies.

In parts of track 2 and 3 I get a lot of King Crimson vibes. Flutes and horns and that good ol traktorbass. And that cant be a bad thing, right?

Elvin
      Participant

Got the Rune edtion! Had one semi-concentraded listen and first thoughts: Heavy and quite demanding. Quite similar in the style of the Tower and the Unicorn imo, but much stronger material. As Fiske Boll said, theres A LOT to dig into, but because of that im glad its not longer.

mefisto
        Participant

After first listen, this record is quite confusing. They seem to have put a lot of different styles, sounds, bits and pieces into these three "songs". I am pretty sure this is a grower. I just hope I will grow with it and come out on the right side of the unicorn fence.

I haven’t heard it yet (apart from Psychotzar – killer! The initial riff! That last RIFF!), but from what I’m reading I’m pretty sure this will end up as my favorite MP record of the last, uh, 20 years. Just saying!✌️ Love when they’re on an emotive trip in space, the long expanding songs. And this is the entire record this time. Can’t wait!

paolinogrande001
          Participant

Usually my copy arrives 1-2 weeks after release, this time it was early! :D

Was going to bring the CD to work with me but of course I forgot it. Haven't even opened it yet, I don't know what's wrong with me these days…

Punj Lizard
            Participant
              pfnuesel
              Participant

Bent looks a bit like the old lady on the cover of Demon Box. :mrgreen:

paolinogrande001
                Participant

@pfnuesel Oh my dog, that is the greatest thing ever!!

pfnuesel
                  Participant

Sorry, didn't got my copy yet. Must kill time.

manbitecat
                    Participant

Got the record yesterday. Great stuff. But reading all the bullshit about KK’s drumming….. oh man. How fucking stoned are you guys!?! :smoke:

supernaut
                      Participant

I said it before, I'll say it again (and again):

I looooooooooooooove KK's drumming. Not because his techniques, but because he's wild. He might disagree, but to me he's more Keith Moon than say Portnoy or Peart or Carey.

But I'm also completely happy with Tomas. He's amazing and perfect for this new MP era.

(I just wonder if I wouldn't know and someone would tell me that's Kenneth on The Crucible… would I really doubt it? Do we really hear what we think we hear?)

pfnuesel
                        Participant
                          Quote:
                          (I just wonder if I wouldn't know and someone would tell me that's Kenneth on The Crucible… would I really doubt it? Do we really hear what we think we hear?)

Ah, would love to have some kind of double deaf study. I doubt you hear the difference as clear as you think.

Punj Lizard
                          Participant

To me it seems reasonable that a musician as adept and experienced, not to mention one with as keen an understanding of what makes a song shine, as Bent, who wrote the vast majority of the band's music throughout its history, is capable of making assessments on the subtle differences between the musicians he's played with day in and day out over substantial periods of time. I don't hear him dissing anyone, just making observations. Having said that, as a human being it seems reasonable also that his statements might be tainted by personal issues, but I have zero insight on what they might be.

I also think it's telling that, as far as I know, he didn't say anything as detailed as this about Tomas and KK until now, when he'd recorded two albums and played a whole bunch of gigs with Tomas. I've heard musicians from other bands diss their former collaborators and big-up their replacements far too quickly for their comments to be based on fair, level-headed assessment.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 232 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994