Camp Motorpsycho » General

The Tower

(174 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by thewebguy
  • Latest reply from kjesso

Tags:

1. rtv

Just release music regular instead of limited stuff.

Posted 2 months ago #
  2. BronYAur

LOL, the funny RATE-YOUR-MP-DISCOGRAPHY Game. I want in! I want in!

1. Trust Us
    2. Timothy's Monster
    3 and 4. ex-aequo - AADAP & Blissard
    5. Roadwork I
    6. Demon Box
    7. Starmelt EP
    8. Mountain EP
    9. Another Ugly EP
    10. Ozone EP

In no way anything post 1998 can be compared with the above.

11. Roadwork III
    12. Walkin' with J EP
    13. In the Fishtank
    14. Here Be Monsters
    15. Here Be Monsters part 2
    16. The Death Defying Unicorn
    17. Let Them Eat Cake
    18. Soothe
    19. Barracuda EP
    20. Still Life with Eggplant
    21. Heavy Metal Fruit
    22. Little Lucid Moments
    23. Behind the Sun
    24. The Tower
    25. Child of the Future
    26. Phanerothyme
    27. Lobotomizer
    28.-56. - Any other fart by Motorpsycho
    57. It's a Love Cult.

Posted 2 months ago #
  3. karmadrome

This album grows and grows and grows with each listen. At first no song stood out for me, except for the massive riff from The Tower, which gives me shivers and makes me scream out in utter joy everytime. Now, after listening the whole album three times so far, I must say I'm utterly amazed and baffled by this masterpiece. To me, it's once again a new iteration of Motorpsycho, they once more reinvented themselves. IMO it's their best album since Unicorn. Favourite tracks so far: Tower, In every dream home and Ship of fools.

Posted 2 months ago #
  4. Ercarnar

Here's my humble opinion on the record after I have listened it a few times.
    The band feels inspired, and Thomas fits nicely in this new context.
    I must admit that thete are a few songs that I don't like very much (and as always, looks like I'm the only one to dislike them :oops:) and they are:
    -A.S.F.E.: I really can't get over the completely flat drumming from start to finish and the very narrow dynamic of the song, which still has some GREAT potential, but to me it could have been much better. I am curious to hear it live, things might change a little. Still, I think that they wanted it to sound that way (the title says it all)
    -The Cuckoo: actually the only thing that I don't like is the verse/chorus part, all the instrumental bits of the song sound really amazing!
    -The Maypole: simply doesn't catch me, still a nice and different song!
    Also, one thing I don't particularly like is the overall sound of the record, feels a bit "Modern" to me but that (as everything else) is completely subjective

But hey! There are MANY things I love in this record too!
    The title track is great, full of the right mix of energy, groove and cool melodies, reminds me (in some ways) Hell 1-3, Cornucopia and some other cool and powerful songs from the Kenneth era (which I love).
    Bartok of the Universe is a blast, powerful and aggressive which keeps me holding my breath from start to finish, one of those songs to listen at full blast on car when you're late when they played it live in Veruno it blew me away, while...
    Intrepid Explorer blew my mind. Great psychedelic track which builds up incredibly well (expecially live)
    Stardust is a beautyful song, reminds me a lot Crosby Stills and Nash from Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, but since the band clearly proves that doesn't need to copy old masters of music to make something great, I think it is cool to hear a nod to the past
    In every dream home is a nice song, not my favourite, but still cool
    A Pacific sonata is a really beautiful sounding song, sweet and quiet in the beginning with super tasty playing and singing by Snah, groovy and psychedelic in the rest of the song. I like the hippieness of the acoustic parts of this record
    Ship of fools is just great, nothing else to say about it

Sorry for this long message, but since this is the only place to speak with more than one Motorpsycho fan it felt right

Posted 2 months ago #
  5. man... pacific sonata grows. didn't expect that

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. Darmok

Hi! Could anyone be so kind as to post the lyrics for the album here somewhere? Someone in this thread said that they are in the sleeve, but I guess this is true only for the vinyl version, those of us who can only get CDs are not so lucky. So any help here would be much appreciated, thanks!

Posted 2 months ago #
  7. GBD

For lyrics, go here: http://motorpsycho.fix.no/comeonin/forums/topic.php?id=10404

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. Darmok

Thanks SO much GBD!

Posted 2 months ago #
  9. otherdemon

Yeah, thank you so much GBD!

"Schmolotics" Some really goods lyrics on disc I

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. Rolf

Some things I don't think have been mentioned:

1. On the tracklisting on the CD version, on the backside, underneath "The Maypole" it says "[including Malibu and Stunt Road]", but that's obviously wrong, and supposed to be printed underneath "A Pacific Sonata"! Indeed, on the vinyl version it is correctly printed. At least this is the case on the CD version I received from Rune Grammofon. Please let me know if you have a different print!

2. The riff of "The Maypole" is partially stolen from the song "Eyes of the World" by the Grateful Dead! And the lyrics, in tone/mood/voice/theme, remind me a lot of another song by the Grateful Dead, namely "The Music Never Stopped". Both songs are about people singing and dancing and celebrating through the night, out in nature. And there are similarities like "It's a sight beyond compare" vs "they're a band beyond description". Bent must've been channeling some hippie spirits when he wrote this one! And of course we know Bent and Snah (and maybe also Tomas?) are deadheads

3. A.S.F.E. makes me think of "And It's Better Now" by Status Quo. Maybe not among their most famous songs, but the chorus goes "Gotta have something to sing about, everyone must have a song / Now I got something to sing about, everyone's singing my song". If I'm not mistaken Bent is a fan of Status Quo on some level. "There's a song for everyone / and a singer for every song"

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. doglicksman

@Rolf: not to mention that the riff found 1:20 into "A.S.F.E." is 'rather' similar to the opening one from in AC/DC's "Dirty Deeds" Not too bad for a song that sounds like the MC5 on MDMA.

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. punknotyet

@Rolf: Stickman's CD version also has this misprint (text "[including Malibu and Stunt Road]" after "The Maypole", while it should be after "A Pacific Sonata").
    No biggie, the main thing is that the album is amazing!

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. fuzzrules

14. Krist Rampage

Wow, that is one raving review!

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. supernaut

Finally got around to listen a few times. It is a grower. ASFE for example seemed like a cool rocker when it was published a few weeks ago. But that one just gets bigger every time. Bartok and Intrepid Explorer have been my highpoints as long as I didn't listen to sides 3 and 4. I thought I'd dive in easily and listen to the first disc a few times and then go on to sides 3 & 4. But then.... Ship Of Fools!!! Jesus! What a ride! The scope, the musicality, the boldness... well that may be nothing new in the Motorpsychoverse but they still top it after all those years???

A remark about Thomas: I expected more traight drumming after hearing ASFE and some comments in here but actually - going out on a limb here - if I wouldn't have known, I might have thought this is still Kenneth. Not that Thomas sounds all that similar, but more because a) he's not at all that straight as expected and b) he fits in perfectly. As if he's been their drummer for years already.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. shakti

Supernaut - indeed! It just grows and grows. Incredible album. Just a little track like The Maypole...what a beautiful, uplifting track! Snah is sublime on that one.

Tomas is a perfect fit, and he is amazing on Ship of Fools as well as Bartok. The whole album is just an amazing ride, even the tracks that didn't attract me in the first place keep growing and worm their way into my mind, like A Pacific Sonata.

This album will be remembered as one of *the* very best Motorpsycho records. It has everything.

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. Blashyrkh

This album is definitely is my top 5 MP albums! In the beginning I wasn't really fond of Stardust. But now, damn, great song!
    I even dreamt about singing Bartok together with Snah lol

Child of the Future was the beginning of the Kenneth era.
    And this one the Tomas' era. I really really like Child of the Future. But I'm a bigger fan of The Tower.
    Song like The Cuckoo, Bartok, The Tower really blow me away.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. mefisto

Ahemmmm: Little Lucid Moments was the start of the Kenneth era

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. remialeksander

After first 2 listenings, The Cuckoo is my favourite song. Wow I love the bass. And the serious and dark undertone. It is mystique and punches at the same time.

Think this is a growing album that needs time to be explored. Looking forward to the Konserthuset- gig tonight and will play it on good headphones one more time first.

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. supernaut

Ship Of Fools 10:20 - 11:10 NIBIRU IS COMING!

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. supernaut

now that clears things up:

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Flash Video

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. AnotherUglyEggPlant

Here my two cents about "The Tower":
    It's an fantastic album. Strong songwriting and every time you here it, it's growing on and on.
    MP Albums are hard to compare. I personally think it's one of the best Albums of the post-Gebhardt-era.

Tomas is really great! He gives MP are different shade. He is somewhere between Gebhardt and Kenneth. His playing is heavy, groovy and sexy (yes!).

Looking forward for the next shows.

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. TraktorBass

So I have been listening to the Tower now since it came out, and I have to say this is the best stuff since Heavy Metal Fruit.

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. kjesso

Review from Mojo. As usual, they appreciate what they hear:

Motorpsycho: The Tower (4/5)

Norwegian proggers' 19th LP feels like the first time.

These Norwegian sonic voyagers' almost-three-decade journey to the outer reaches continues, their focus barely shaken by the exit of long-serving drummer Kenneth Kapstad, replaced by Tomas Järmyr, who stalwarts Brent [!] Sæther and Hans Ryan credit with The Tower's heavier crunch. Certainly, Bartok Of The Universe's steel-armoured riffage and half-inched CSN harmonies conjures a beast that could slay latter-day Mastodon, but this double-set is no one-note riff-blitz: The Maypole eschews the trad-folk suggestion of the title for trippy, sun-soaked delirium; In Every Dream Home is a polymorphous treat liberally drizzled with Yes-juice; while the excursive Intrepid Explorer is exhilarating, a reminder of just how much fun prog can be, in the right hands. The Tower's refreshing absence of cynicism, boundless joy, never self-indulgent instrumental excursions and ample cosmic thrills make listeners feel like wide-eyed 11-year olds dropping the needle on their very first proggy expedition.
    Review by Stevie Chick

Posted 1 week ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.