Camp Motorpsycho » General

Roadworks I-V !!!

(248 posts)
  • Started 6 months ago by paolinogrande001
  • Latest reply from Bartok

Tags:

1. Johnny_Heartfield

RW 3 & 5 in the bag. Thou' I must say I'd have prefered simple black vinyl. Easier to hit the tracks and not as vulnerable.

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. s_edelman

Are the Stickman download vouchers usualy MP3 and .wav?

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. Johnny_Heartfield

If I remember correctly, I downloaded "The Tower" as flac.

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. Smarti333s

@s_edelman : Tower was offered in a variety of download options, but behind the sun was MP3 only. Safest bet to know is send a message to Stickman, they are usually very responsive.

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. s_edelman

Stickman says: choice of MP3 of Flac.

"Feel" is not included in the RW1 downlaod

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. Halitosis

It's disappointing that they're not updating the digital releases to match the vinyl versions.
    That's one of the things I've found nice about the album re-releases - that they've included everything - so it's both a shame and slightly odd that they don't seem to be doing the same here.

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. Devotional

@Halitosis, it is very possible that RW I & II were not remastered, and they may even have used the same lacquers as the original pressing(s). They could have made the vinyl mastering available digitally, of course, but that was never technically tailored for the digital domain, as opposed to the box sets, and getting Helge involved for that one extra track was likely considered a non-priority at this point. Maybe we'll see a RW digital box set sometime in the future?

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. Krist Rampage

I don't understand your point Halitosis. I does include everyting: The exact same vinyl version plus download in so far unknown quality. The cd version didn't include Feel, so why include it for the download? To listen to Feel you have to play the vinyl, just like before.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. pfnuesel

What's there not to understand if one would like to see the same tracks offered as download as there are on the vinyl?

You vinyl aficionados can also feel better than the rest of the world without exclusive tracks.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. Johnny_Heartfield

I think that Devotional has explained the matter quite satisfactory.

Of course it would be ideal that both vinyl and download offer the same material - which is the case with the newer, specially (re-)mastered releases.
    As a "vinyl afficionado" I don't need no extra tracks to feel good - having the real thing in my hand and on the record player is gratification enough.

Anyway - it's just one small track and nothing world-shattering (heresy!).
    I remember a time where it was the other way round - if you still bought the vinyl, you were served with fewer material than on the parallel CD releases. Motorpoetic justice indeed!
    And don't forget - you get the missing track on vinyl anyway! Have it digitalized yourself, if you're craving for it!

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. Punj Lizard

Release date for these albums is 22 June. Does anybody know if shipping will commence in advance of that, or on that date? I can't see any mention of when shipping will commence at the Rune Grammofon website or in my order confirmation from Rune. I'm getting restless with anticipation, and assuming it will take several days to ship to the UK I'm particularly anxious. Or maybe I'm just impatient

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. Johnny_Heartfield

Yep - anticipation rises...
    Stickman usually ship brand new albums a few days before release date in order to have them arrive just in time. Don't know how Rune handles that matter.

I tried to cure my impatience by listening to the excellent Leipzig recording. Slightly spoiled expectance by excellence - they should have released almost all of the Leipzig concert in a separate box - it is that good. Probably saved for the future, when our heroes are old and in need of money

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. Blashyrkh

It seems that the packages from Stickman are sent out 2 days ago.
    Did someone already received there vinyls?

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. paolinogrande001

My copy of Vol. 4 from Stickman actually arrived in Norway on the 11th(!). Looks like it was sent already on the 5th frm Germany...

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. ffbernie

sorry if this has already been discussed but im a cd guy...is this roadwork coming out on cd as well or do you have to buy the vinyl that packs a cd copy ? Anyone ? thanks x bernie

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. otherdemon

Wee, just got an SMS from Posten that Rune Gram has sent me a parcel that will arrive at the local post office tomorrow. I'm guessing it's RW5

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. Ercarnar

Ffbernie Stickman doesn't have a CD copy, just vynil & Digital Download. Rune has it if I remember correctly.
    By the way, Stickman told me that my copy will be sent tomorrow

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. ffbernie

@Ercarnar : thanks but I dont see any ads for a cd release at Rune though.

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. otherdemon

@ffbernie: The CD is only included with the LP. So you have to buy the LP if
    you want the CD...

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. ffbernie

@otherdemon : thanks. Right anyone up for a vinyl copy without the cd just lemme know as i wont be needing the vinyl x bernie

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. otherdemon

Just picked it up at the local post office. I actually ordered the regular version with black vinyl which was a little cheaper. But I received the limited one with yellow vinyl instead

Warning! SPOILERS AHEAD!

Here's the vinyl tracklist:

Side 1: Ship of Fools
    Side 2: Sleepwalking, Lacuna/Sunrise Pt 1
    Side 3: Lacuna/Sunrise Pt 2, Manmower
    Side 4: Köln, Un Chien D'espace Pt 1
    Side 5: Un Chien D'espace Pt 2
    Side 6: Taifun

CD tracklist:

CD1: Ship of Fools (14:53) Sleepwalking (2:03) Lacuna/Sunrise (24:26) Manmower (12:27)
    CD2: Köln (11:08) Un Chien D'espace (30:46) Taifun (16:59)

So for me the CDs win this time because it has natural flow and uninterrupted performances.

Let the speculation begin on which performances made the album!
    Sleepwalking/Lacuna must be Leipzig, plus Köln/Chien obviously is Köln.
    And I just found out that Manmower is from Sint-Niklaas, thanks to a partial Youtube-clip!
    Ship of Fools is impossible to know (23 performances that tour!), and I'm not sure about Taifun either...

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. TraktorBass

Received mine today. Green RW3 and yellow RW5.

Roadwork 5 is mislabelled. Weirdly:
    Side 1 - Labelled "Ship of Fools" - is actually "Ship of Fools"
    Side 2 - Labelled "Sleepwalking/Lacuna pt.1" - is actually "Taifun"
    Side 3 - Labelled "Lacuna pt 2 / Manmower" - is actually "Sleepwalking / Lacuna pt 1"
    Side 4 - Labelled "Köln / Un'Chien d'Espace pt 1" - is actually "Lacuna pt 2 / Manmower"
    Side 5 - Labelled "Un'Chien d'Espace pt 2" - is actually "Köln / Un'Chien d'Espace pt 1"
    Side 6 - Labelled "Taifun" - is actually "Un'Chien d'Espace pt 2"

Anyone else?

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. Punj Lizard

@otherdemon and @TraktorBass - Thanks for the info - for the vinyl and CD track listing, for the track lengths and for a labelling issue we might run in to. I have just one question. Is it any good? :D But seriously - how does it sound?

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. otherdemon

@PunjLizard: I've just finished listening to it in its entirety.
    And yes, it is pretty damn good!

They picked a good version of Ship Of Fools. Unfortunately, the sound is a bit shoddy on that one.
    They've always had problems capturing that wall-of-sound on tape (I had the same complaint about The Alchemyst on RW4). But it's a good version of maybe my favorite track from The Tower.

Sleepwalking/Lacuna is also pretty good. A far-out jam in the middle (why does Conne Island in Leipzig always get these freakouts?), they also really nail the song-parts beautifully. Great version!

Manmower is out of this world! I had seen the 6 minute Sint-Niklaas excerpt on Youtube, and thought it was a very interesting, jazzy/atypical take on the song. Turns out the whole performance was beyond top-notch. And the coda/climax is bulls-eye! Probably my favorite on RW5.

Köln/Chien is of course fantastic, but since I already knew it from Spacebandit's recording, it wasn't a surprise. Still, it's great to have it in pristine audio quality. I personally think it surpasses the RW1 version, but I guess some will disagree...

I was a bit anxious to hear Taifun. The recordings I'd heard earlier (Trondheim, Köln and Livorno) were a bit too overlong to me. The one on RW5 is neither of those versions. I still think they extended it a bit too much, but it does contain a beautiful flugabone solo by K.Lo in the 2nd part. So a good version of one of my favorite Trust Us songs, but I have heard better earlier (Rockefeller 2001 with Jaga Jazzist comes to mind...)

Not a lot of singing on this record! The record is 1h 52 mins total, and I think 15-20 mins of it has vocals So if you think MP's biggest achilles-heel is vocals, then this record is for you! But you also have to have a high tolerance for jamming, because this record has a shitload of it (most high-quality though)

I will have to listen to it some more, but so far it's a very worthy installment in the Roadwork series

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. fusserman

Ship of fools was great at Lyse netter

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. Punj Lizard

@ otherdemon - Thanks. Great review. I'm having trouble with my patience waiting for this and RW3.

Oh, and I agree, that 2001 Taifun is indeed something very special.

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. TraktorBass

You sun it up nicely, otherdemon.

Does your version of RW5 also have wacky labels?

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. otherdemon

@TraktorBass: Unfortunately I don't have a record player present at the moment,
    so I can't say yet.

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. ErlendN

I can confirm that my yellow RW5 has the same order issue as mentioned above. I suspect this might be the case with all 500 copies. Wonder if the same thing happened with the black vinyl pressing.

Posted 4 months ago #
  30. FloydCramer

Yes! Wacky labels here as well (guessing the whole print), on top of a planned Garrard-print ala Demon Box. So Taifun (side f) is supposed to be on the flipside of Ship Of Fools (this is confirmed by Onkel Fuzzbass himself). So you got to be focused, hehe. Great release tho! Some magic moments here.

Posted 4 months ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.