Camp Motorpsycho » General

Motorpsycho's working methods

(50 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by Punj Lizard
  • Latest reply from doglicksman

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. Punj Lizard

I'm curious to know more about the way the band work. Ive said on here before that one of the things about MP that really turns me on is the way their approach to their music works on so many levels. So how do they work? I remember watching a video interview in which Bent metions that they go into their own studio/rehearsal space for several hours every day. He talked about it in the way that other people might talk about going to the office or the factory or whatever worksite. And yet somehow the results are far from workmanlike. They do not seem like the product of an efficient company - there are other creative elements that keep it all fresh, dynamic, alive. So how do they do it? What can any of you share about how they spend their time, how they write the songs/music, how they rehearse, how they appraoch being on the road, in the studio, in rehearsal, working with collaborators (musicians, engineers, producers, venues), etc.?

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. Kid A

You can get some little bit on this by reading the booklets to the Deluxe Editions written by Bent.
    It seems that their approach to work is as diverse as the music that comes out of it.
    Some tracks were composed, rehearsed and produced within days, others were the product of years long trial and error (e.g. Stalemate), others came to life on stage and evolved over several gigs up to a studio recording, e.g. The Wheel

Posted 3 months ago #
  3. Punj Lizard

Thanks Kid A. As yet I only have the AADAP special edition. Will go back and read the booklet.

Posted 3 months ago #
  4. mybestfriend83

I don't know much about the way the guys were working through out the years but
    allmost every Song is a wonderfull way of talking somehow about experiences made by special people with special Substances...
    You know what I mean.. I bet the guys had trippy weekends back then if you think of albums like Phanerothyme or Ltec... I know that since a long time, they only make music "clean" except for a few Little Underberg drinks or a glass of wine...
    I can hardly believe sometimes that the guy's are not at least absolutely stoned while doing this Music but the play very long most of the time...
    So I guess it is true...
    But with writing the Songs is something different... I bet this happened sometimes under good influence...

Posted 3 months ago #
  5. Johnny_Heartfield

Yep, and the influence is loads of 70s records that stood the test of time. They are probably not recreating 70s originals intentionally, except for the odd title and musical wink here and there. But Bent has admitted on release of "The Tower" that his listening habits during the winter before - i.e. Magma and Van der Graaf Generator - have certainly found their way into the songwriting and recording somehow.
    Wonder what he's been listening during the last months. According to his comments on the new material in the Romanian interview - or was it Belgrad? - it must be something like King Crimson meets the Mothers of Invention in Amon Düül II's kitchen

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. JERO

@mybestfriend83; I don't believe a lot in that drugthing related to creative output. More often than not you play, or write, or paint or whatever under influence and think wow this is really great. Next day when you're sober it usually isn't. Maybe sometimes a little smoke may open up your ears, though. I remember a long time ago I listenened to Trout Mask Replica on headphones after smoking a joint and heard everything in a totaly new way. I don't want to criticize the use of mind-altering substances, but i.m.o. music made from a pure (developed) mind, heart, soul, is much more of an accomplishment.I remember Snah saying in an interview that he likes to be stoned, but on stage performing, there's so much going on he needs to be alert and probably not too hazy... So anyway, light one up for me, bestfriend, and enjoy, but I am much better since I quit 8 years ago. One thing I'll always be addicted to is MPmusic, the best trip there is!

Posted 3 months ago #
  7. kjesso

Is this the interview you're referring to, Punj Lizard? It's from 2014, and Bent talks for fifteen minutes about what it's like to be in Motorpsycho - writing songs, touring, improvising, and so on. It certainly doesn't answer all your questions, but he touches upon some of them. And there are some great shots of the band on stage as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfLgEMHTuxw

Posted 3 months ago #
  8. Punj Lizard

@kjesso - No it wasn't that interview. It might have been on the En Konsert For Folk Flest video. But thanks for this one - I'd seen it last year, but it's good to watch again. As for answering my questions, I'm just looking for stuff like this video, or anecdotes or anything else any of you can share or point to that you've picked up over the years.

@ mybestfriend, Johnny and JERO - Thanks for your input and insights. All helping to colour in the bigger picture of what I'm learning about the band.

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. mybestfriend83

@jero... Okay like I sad they play since a long time clean, don't know what's really going on with smoking ... But I think this is exactly the creative point. if you listen to songs like - so many examples - the afterglow on still life with eggplant it's totally clear that we are first of all not talking about smoking a simple joint dude... I'm talking acid or a shroom trip..or for example take the beginning of the Here be Monsters 2. How endless deep it feels and then Snah starts singing.. Blue Bitter Blue...that's totally coming down from space to me..
    Or take the Barracuda LP.
    I mean ride Dr. Hoffmanns Bicycle..? Or B. S., Landslide, The slow phaseout and blindfolded all on Phanerothyme.. So obvious...the list goes on...
    And I mean man it is Motorpsychodelic music man..that is exactly what made me choose this guy's long ago that they create this motorpsychodelic Vibe. I could barely imagine it being that trippy all over the years without substances being used by me or the guys..
    You are right when you say you would not be able to do such music (most of it lol) on a trip and if you develop something it's mostly not that wonderful as it was the day before..
    And off course I didn't know if they ever used this substances at all cause I was never with them but dude common..
    I think the guys are older these days but they are still my long haired youth heroes with all the best vibrations for a special journey... And I bet in the days of Timothy's Monster or Phanerothyme there were a lot of trips taken by the guys..
    I guess maybe on the next day or so The guys started to write something blessed by special feelings..
    That's how they seem to me...please don't steal my youth Heroes 😂
    Okay Jero I light one up for you right now... 😂 8 years is quite a long time...

Posted 3 months ago #
  10. JERO

I understand, @mybestfriend83, whatever they use for inspiration (and you as well!) is allright with me, just hoping they won't have to deal with "strings of stroop" when playing live, haha!
    (stroop is a Dutch word for ehm melted-sugar-sauce, the stuff you put on pancakes, and I remember the bassplayer of Jefferson Airplane once said that playing while under acid made his strings feel like this?!)

Posted 3 months ago #
  11. mybestfriend83

@jero..
    Yeah Dude... Let's hope our Heroes will allways have a save Trip and not become eaten by Timothy's Monster...

Posted 3 months ago #
  12. Punj Lizard

@ mybestfriend and JERO

Interesting comments about use of drugs in the band's work. From the output, their influences, and some of their lyrics, I assumed they must at least have used weed at some point, if not regularly, but I had also heard Snah say they're not a drug band, so I wasn't sure. Personally, I'm a toker and really enjoy their music when stoned, but I also like it when I'm not stoned. And I of course respect everyone's choice to enjoy in the way they like it.

Posted 3 months ago #
  13. mybestfriend83

@punjlizard

Hhhmmm..i must have missed Snah saying that... Maybe since a few albums they changed a bit but man I mean it is so obvious with tracks like Psychonaut and Watersound from trust us and Timothy's Monster and the whole Ltec, Phanerothyme it's a love cult era...or take the sideways spiral lyrics for example...
    To me the guys are definetly a drug Band... 😂 No matter what they are saying...

Posted 3 months ago #
  14. kjesso

Re: Motorpsycho and drugs: This topic was also discussed back in 2002. Some interesting quotes from Bent and Snah here.

http://motorpsycho.fix.no/comeonin/oldforums/read.php?1,2985

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. Punj Lizard

@ kjesso - Thanks. Interesting discussion.

Posted 3 months ago #
  16. Thomas

Motorpsycho is a very professional band with a huge discipline in their working progress. Bent`s quote "they haven't understood the difference between being on a trip and sounding like one" says it all.
    To all the musicians here: Have you ever recorded a jam session with all of you being high? No matter if stoned or on any psychedelic stuff. Listen to it when you´re sober again. It´s awful!

Btw, this is not a statement about how to listen to their music. That´s a completely different thing.

Posted 3 months ago #
  17. Punj Lizard

@Thomas. Thanks. I'm curious to know more about the "huge discipline in their working progress". They feel like a band that's really focused.

Posted 3 months ago #
  18. Thomas

I am refering for example to this feature in Deutschlandfunk

Sæther: "Wir sind Profis. Wenn wir alle da sind, treffen wir uns hier jeden Tag um 10 Uhr und arbeiten bis 14 oder 15 Uhr - ja, das ist Arbeit. Wir probieren dann alles Mögliche aus und versuchen, dass die Songs so gut klingen, wie es eben geht. Da werden dann die Dinge gemacht, um die wir uns kümmern müssen. Wir sind Profis und Arbeiter.

"We are professionals. We meet here at 10 am every day and work until 2 or 3 pm - yeah, it´s work. We explore everything and try to make the songs sound as good as possible. After that we do the things that have to be done. We are professionals and workers"

Try to do that on shrooms and get your kids from school afterwards

Posted 3 months ago #
  19. Punj Lizard

Thanks Thomas. I think I read that article when it came out earlier this year. You make a good point!

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. mybestfriend83

Oh my God what the fuck..? World is ending today...

"didn't they do loads of LSD and 'shrooms before?" The answer was a clear "Oh yes indeed, in the early years, but they have become too professional and focused on their music and work to keep up with that lifestyle. They simply can't go on doing that." That makes sense, I thought...
    But later Snah says he never done Lsd or shrooms .. I can't believe that.. A world goes down for me... What a bummer... I mean like bent said a few years ago it is totally up to you what you read when you're reading Phanerothyme, but dudes that's a real downer to me...
    As far as I can remember Snah and bent were allways my special trip heroes
    .. And I thought there was much more going on...
    . Anyway like I sad a few times before when you create something it is mostly not as nice as the day before when you are on whatever... But this Motorpsychodelic tunes thing is since allmost over 20 years in my head when I listen to them... I mean like I sad so many examples... I thought that they at least one time per year have a special vacation... Or maybe there were enough vacations whatever but NOT A SINGLE EXPERIENCE ? Common...

I thought you were way righter than me @Jero... 😂 Sorry

I would say if they all never had a single trip in their live it is somehow marketing isn't it..?

Please don't put your life in the hands
    Of a rock and roll band
    They throw it all away...

Posted 3 months ago #
  21. Kid A

@mybestfriend83 Three points: First, you don´t have to have regularly psychodelic experiences to gain creative inspiration out of it. Me, I stopped travelling space about 17 years ago and still, the experience influences the way I think, act, live and listen. By the way, MP is one of the best vehicles for me to get a psychodelic experience out of an ordinary workday.
    Second, don´t take the band as one entity. Just because Snah said, he never really did drugs, it could be something totally different with Bent. And he is the one doing most of the lyrics and songwriting.
    And third: Who cares? As someone who is into some psychodelic "insight", you should probably know that it doesn´t really matter. The experience you have, when you listen to their music is yours. And the stories it tells you are yours and only yours. Truth is a pathless land and you may travel as it suits you. Drugs is only one way among many others.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. Punj Lizard

@mybestfriend - It's a bit of a tradition among rock bands isn't it, to do loads of drugs but say you never did? I can remember way back when the Beatles still said they never did acid or smoke weed. I don't know about the laws in Norway, but in the UK back in the 60s/70s/80s, even though lots of people were taking acid/weed/ecstasy, it was common to keep that hidden. Nobody wanted the police knocking on their door. Even MacCartney got raided for growing weed! High profile cases like that make other artists careful about what they say and do in public.

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. mybestfriend83

@ Kid A.. I know very well... I had my first pdelic xperiences also very young and had many years between it...

But dude you must understand even Snah alone is a Cosmos collapsing to me that he says he never experienced stuff.. I mean we could talk a lot about how to see the world without things being used but this is the MOTORPSYCHODELIC COSMOS. I AM really disappointed..if you're almost 20 years a hardcore fan it simply shocks me to read today that my guitar guru Snah never xperiences something psychedelic except for dope.. I mean please guys understand me.. And i really hope that Bent or Geb(or later drummers) at least one time had some experiences... I personally had over 10 years no real Vacation and a year ago I traveled a bit... And off course it's not really necessary if you tasted it before - that's,like you've said kid A- but you know especially Snah was allways and will always be my light at the end of the tunnel... With tracks like blindfolded, Landslide., starmelt or Serpentine... I guess I just have to get over it... When you ask me in a month I will be rather sensitive with that theme... 😂
    I mean it is somehow like you're the owner of McDonald's and yourself is Vegetarian..
    I feel somehow a bit cheated..But I guess I shouldn't eat at McDonald's 😂

@ Punj lizard...

Yes what they say and what they do are two completely different things... You're right...

Posted 3 months ago #
  24. Punj Lizard

@mybestfriend83 - There's also the issue of being a family man and how he and his partner decide they want to control the release of information to their kid(s). This is always an issue for people in the spotlight.

Posted 3 months ago #
  25. mybestfriend83

@ punj lizard... yes... That comes with a Family.. I can barely imagine him with Songs like On my Pillow from Timothy's monster, Starmelt from AADAP or Glow which he wrote with Bent from Barracuda, not being "experienced"... But it's right when you said that you have to deal with it somehow. We never really gonna know... 😂

Posted 3 months ago #
  26. Bartok

I agree with Punj, though I always perceived their (90s) comments about work ethics and drugs as a statement against “the music establishment”, the Norwegian alt rock establishment in the 90s being the peculiar decadent party-rock scene in Oslo (the Turbo vs MP dichotomy). IMO they wanted to present themselves as an alternative, in all different ways, which they were (including hard-working and “serious” and as Bent himself recently stated, maybe a bit too self-important). I’m sure they’ve done tons of drugs of various kinds though, way back, just read the lyrics.. and feel the music.. Work-ethics-wise I’m pretty sure they run a tight ship, you can’t have this kind of output without a total commitment and a somewhat clean head. But being drugs-spokesmen, no I don’t think that fits their sensibilities.. way too introverted, private, intense and focused.. better to opt out and let the music speak for itself (again, Seltzer vs Bent). And yes, the 90s were really a different time, esp in Norway.

Posted 3 months ago #
  27. mybestfriend83

@ bartok

"I’m sure they’ve done tons of drugs of various kinds though, way back, just read the lyrics.. and feel the music.."

Yeah man exactly... I feel this too... Can't imagine it being different... For all of them...

And over all the years I never doubted until today that the guys were at least at in the 90s true Acid heads...

Posted 3 months ago #
  28. Bartok

Wise words Kid A👌, and lol bestfriend: Running a McDonalds as a vegetarian, great put!😆 Sums it all up

Posted 3 months ago #
  29. Be

I don't get it at all why it is important to someone if they did drugs. Doesn't alter what you hear them play. This must be one of the - well I have troubles to say that politely - not so deep conversations on here for some time.

Posted 3 months ago #
  30. Kid A

So, let‘s sail on, Psychonauts

Posted 3 months ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.