Camp Motorpsycho » General

Motorpsycho and... (tbc)

(7 posts)
  • Started 2 weeks ago by Johnny_Heartfield
  • Latest reply from Johnny_Heartfield

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. Johnny_Heartfield

To sum up all possibly following "Motorpsycho and X" posts, I left a blank in the title.
    Probably somebody's gonna use it for "Motorpsycho and Madonna" - I'm curious...

I'd like to start with "Motorpsycho and Acid Mothers Temple"

Just saw them (AMT) yesterday in the most seedy little club in Cologne, about 100 people and the room was packed. Their drummer told me they played in an even smaller club in Frankfurt some days before. Great gig - if short by MP standards (90 min), but a full onslaught of improvised heavy spacerock psychedelia with quite a few amazing elements.
    Like Motorpsycho they do plunder rock history quite a bit - not only in the tunes, but most directly in their album titles. While motorpsycho references in titles and lyrics can sometimes get quite cryptical, albums like "The Ripper at the Heaven's Gates of Dark" or "Son of a Bitches Brew" speak for themselves - or rather for a very funny way of copying names and attidutes.
    While Snah is of course beyond any doubt as a guitar player, Makoto Kawabata is deifinitively the most excessive space-rock/hendrix/zappa/freakout guitarist of all times.
    The AMT gig itself was great - with the odd Gong cover fittingly inserted (Flying Teapot) in a funky jamalong, followed by a short drum solo and a 5 minute bass/drum disco rhythm channeling Kisses "I was made for loving you" (Kiss: here we go again), then seamlessly going into AMT's signature tune "Pink Lady Lemonade".
    Extremely well played by all musicians on stage this kind of build-up/cover-including procedure does remind me a bit of MP, with the necessary comment that Acid Mothers Temple's attitude is so crazy it makes MP look like rather serious musicians on stage (which they are...).

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  2. bionaut

I get the AMT connection.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  3. shakti

Had some good times seeing AMT in the very early 2000s. The Motorpsycho Connection is there...sort of... AMT is much looser and don't seem to do much in the songwriting Department. That has always been Motorpsycho forte over any other similar bands - the ability to structure the material a bit more and write really, really good songs.

AMT always struck me as being closer in spirit to early 70s kraut and space bands. Their name reveals one very obvious connection/inspiration.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  4. supernaut

Motorpsycho and.... Satan!

https://ivarfjeld.com/2011/12/02/satanic-rock-band-worship-in-oslo-cathedral/

sorry had to post this for a laugh, was browsing for a MP pic for an article to write.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  5. ThorEgil

@supernaut - Pure gold!
    And the comments are even better.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  6. supernaut

"Exposing fake and falsehood!"

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  7. Johnny_Heartfield

"I guess Motorpsycho is searching for the gun that Anders Behring Breivik left at Ut√łya."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4q6eaLn2mY

Only Love...

Posted 2 weeks ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.