(122 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by Tomcat
  • Latest reply from Smarti333s

Tags:

1. JERO

They're the Sherrifs of Hong Gong

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. BronYAur

@TheOtherAnders LOL your comment is much more impressive than the song!

But no problem, because the rest of the album is a BOMB!

Posted 1 week ago #
  3. marc

Apparently, they were having lots of fun in the studio, judging by that ridiculous gong and the extensive cowbell action
    Definitely a solid song and they further refined that whole hard/prog rock thing. It is a catchy groovy riff, but there was plenty of similar Sabbath-riffing recently. So, refinement? Definitely! Progress? Well...
    I certainly love me some Snah solo - that unique quality of pushing the climax of a song even further and squeezing maximum intensity out of it. The first solo though is pretty sloppy and lacking that character, in my opinion. Three minutes into the song it is getting much more interesting. As mentioned before, the dueling guitar solo is really great and it is cool how they don't care and let the song go nuts and take its turns.
    So, one song left to discover. Excited how this one will turn out, esp. the Horntveth contribution.

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. BronYAur

Marc: "So, refinement? Definitely! Progress? Well..."

This sums up my low enthusiasm for the song.
    Amd the reason why I love the HBM + HBM2 stuff, which was a marvellous variation from their trails

Posted 1 week ago #
  5. shakti

Just gave it a very brief listen via crappy computer speaker, so not much to judge by, but...

I like it just fine, but as others have mentioned, this Sabbathy thing is something they have done a *lot* starting with Heavy Metal Fruit. A certain way the song melody weaves around the riffing which is starting to sound a little formulaic. That said, I think Anders is onto something - even if this is derivative, they still do it better than anyone else. And as the song goes on, there's enough interesting stuff going on to make it worthwhile, even if the song/melody itself isn't particularly impressive or innovative. Gotta love the gong though.

I'm anxious to hear the rest of the album, but judging by this track alone I don't think it'll match The Tower. That was a marvellous album because they let loose and just did it all...this track sounds more self-consciously "proggy" and Motorpsychy. They are at their best when they are not aiming to do one particular thing.

Hearing that they are already writing new stuff is very exciting though.

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. pfnuesel

Very confused by the guitar solo.

Posted 1 week ago #
  7. Punj Lizard

I love the gong. There, I said it. It adds a massive dramatic element that just gets me all excited. Yes, it's a little bit OTT, but I don't care. Anyway, I love the first and middle sections, the sub-Sabs riffing and the twin guitars (although I tend agree with Marc regarding the first solo), but what's most interesting to me about the song is the route it takes in the second half. I couldn't, at first blush, for the life of me figure out really what's going on. It seemed to be a bit directionless. But when I listened to it, two things from Supernaut's intentionally vague review came to mind: "bold" and "Death Defying". A few more listens and it's growing on me.

@ Shakti - I agree regarding Anders being on to something. And the point extends, IMHO, to anything else Motorpsycho does that seems to sound like another band/song - whether it's Sonic Youth, Pink Floyd or Black Sabbath: they do it best because it always sounds like Motorpsycho and it always sounds brilliant - and personally I never think, "Oh dear, they're trying to sound like [enter name of band here]". What I think is, "Fucking hell, how brilliant is this?" I could name countless prog bands that sound like Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Crimson, ELP and so on and so on, but I could name very few indeed that actually break out beyond that copycat mould to sound innovative, original, compelling. And because Motorpsycho can do that across so many genres and drawing on so many influences (just listen to Tristano!! Or Mammonumamikona!!), they are unquestionably one of a kind. No band I've ever heard even comes close in that regard.

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. supernaut

It's quite fun to read your reactions to Psychotzar and speculations about the rest of the album while I've heard that whole album already. Sometimes a song only really shines within the context of the whole album. Like I was a bit underwhelmed with ASFE at first but listening to it in The Tower's sequencing it rocked awesomely.

So Psychotzar... yup there is the Sab thing happening. But that's cool because it's not the usual stonerband vagueish Sweet Leaf ripoff, it's rather a show of understanding of how Sabbath worked and the knowledge of their lesser known songs and stylings. The dual stereo guitar solo is nothing short of brilliant. And then throwing some King Crimson in at around the 6:40 mark but then immediately making it their own thing. Love it.

All I'm saying is: Don't worry. It's a brilliant album. And the two other songs do go other places than the opening one.

Posted 1 week ago #
  9. Punj Lizard

@ supernaut - I wish you could see the big smile on my face.

Posted 1 week ago #
  10. supernaut

Listening to Lux Aeterna right now. This is clearly a band having a blast in the studio, playing and producing and living their musicians' and band's lives. There is an obvious f yr expectations attitude going on, which is funny considering their devoted fanbase, which again allows them to do just that. A genuine give and take magic between band and fans.

I'd love to hear an Andrew Scheps aftermath interview. I guess he's quite happy with the outcome, too.

Posted 1 week ago #
  11. supernaut

@punji
    it'll be a lot bigger in a few weeks time.

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. supernaut

what I'd like right now is something of an in depth making of documentary, the band and scheps in the studio. damn that would be brilliant.

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. Punj Lizard

@supernaut - how much do you think Scheps influenced the production? As I understand it, it was a co-production effort with Deathprod, which I imagine would have been a bigger deal for Scheps than for Deathprod given the former's expressed love of Demon Box and the sonic landscape of that album. Like you I'd love to hear what he has to say about working with the band on this album, especially as he's essentially an "outsider" despite his work on Boxful of Demons and Roadwork 5.

Posted 1 week ago #
  14. BronYAur

Please believe me: Psychotzar is the less interesting song of the album.

I'll make my SPOILER and then I'll go to hell:

-

-

-

-

--
    -
    -

-
    -
    -
    -

-
    -

--
    --

--

-

Best Snah's studio solo inside

Posted 1 week ago #
  15. Neil Tesor

Don't mind the gong, but am I the only one who are getting a bit tired of that mellotron?
    I would like MP to record as the real power-trio they are for once, just bass, guitar and drums!

Posted 1 week ago #
  16. supernaut

@punij
    No idea. I'm assuming after 30 years the band knows exactly what it wants and how it's done. BUT I also think Scheps is a total match and working with a perfectly matching engineer/producer/dude does influence the work very muchly, as in being together on the ride with the same goal.
    So for this and considering his professional CV, I'd like to hear his views on the experience.

@neil tesor:
    I understand where you're getting at but hm.... are you sure the real MP is the power trio? Isn't their trio outfit the rarest of them all? On most records and tours they had guests and collaborateurs. But maybe I get you wrong, you just want a pure no nonsense bass guitar drums record with or without guest muscicians. Gut feeling says this probably won't ever happen (anymore): too much gear lying around, too many ideas, too much thirst for exploring sonic landscapes.

Posted 1 week ago #
  17. otherdemon

@NeilTesor: There can never be enough mellotron, IMHO

Posted 1 week ago #
  18. Punj Lizard

@supernaut - What makes you think they're "a total match"? These are not trick questions, I'm trying to figure out what all the fuss is about him. I don't know anything about the guy or his work except that he seems to be a well-known producer who's worked with some big, big names, but the band he really personally wanted to work with is Motorpsycho.

Posted 1 week ago #
  19. Kid A

@punj: don´t know what supernaut meant, but I´d agree, cause they are all people who really understand music. I mean, in the way you wrote earlier, why you love MP.They understand how it works, what Black Sabbath is about, what Prog is about, what MUSIC is about. When you listen to Scheps´ works, you hear the same devotion and love fpr what he´s doing. So, perfect match.

@psychonaut: "Sometimes a song only really shines within the context of the whole album".
    Yep. And that´s exactly the reason I won´t listen to it before the album is out.

Posted 1 week ago #
  20. supernaut

I think so not because of his previous work, because honestly I wasn't aware of him until a couple of years ago. I stumbled upon him while looking for some production/mixing software to use for myself and there his name kept popping up. So I watched lots of his practical tips and also some "producer philosophy" speeches he made at workshops and such. And I immediately liked his approach and him as a person. Then heard he's onto working with Motorpsycho and I thought "Yes! Perfect match!"

Posted 1 week ago #
  21. Punj Lizard

@Kid A and @supernaut - Interesting. Yes, I hear what you're both saying. When his involvement with Roadwork 5 was announced I became curious and watched a few YouTube vids of him talking about his work and so on and also found him to be a thoughtful and articulate person with a clear and nuanced understanding of what it means to work with music and musicians. The fact that he loves Motorpsycho is of course great. Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted 1 week ago #
  22. Neil Tesor

@supernaut Yeah, I know it probably won't happen, but I've always thought of MP as a trio, and I like them best live as a trio too!

Posted 1 week ago #
  23. Bartok

Psychotzar sounds great! Wasn’t sure in the first couple of listenings, been a long time since I tapped into MP now, my mind somewhere else, but wow, heavy stuff, the sound and riffing takes me back to the early days. That last climbing riff, omg. Read Bents memo, he seems uncharacteristically humble, but this sounds very good in my ears. Also can’t wait to hear the “definitive” version of Lux, and the other song, and Lars’s contribution. Expecting a nice heavy shortish affair. And the news of new material, great, as MP is known for working in triplets I guess we’ll get the last chapter of the Tower triology, should be good. I hope it entails some acoustic moments as well, not California based, but straight outta Snåsa. We’ll see, but it all seems very healthy in the psychoverse, and I’m very happy.

And, love the gong! The cowbell or whatever it is, not so much. Or the processed vocals or whatever it is that makes them sound so... filtered. Can’t have it all!

Posted 1 week ago #
  24. Punj Lizard

I listened to the whole of Sabotage this morning, headphones on, volume dialled up to 11. It's like they took bits of Psychotzar and built a whole album around it.

Posted 1 week ago #
  25. Neil Tesor

@Punj Lizard: Sabotage is such an awesome album, maybe my favourite Black Sabbath!

Posted 1 week ago #
  26. shakti

Sabotage is the bomb.

I just gave Psychotzar another listen on a proper system. I like it much more now. Definitely something interesting going on even in this very Sabbathy mode. It is very much like a continuation of Bartok and Cuckoo. Sounds promising if the album total offers more variety too.

Posted 1 week ago #
  27. Punj Lizard

@Neil Tesor - It may be mine too. I've had that feeling for a long time, though I've never really been able to explain why. It's just, as Shakti says, the bomb.

Posted 1 week ago #
  28. Johnny_Heartfield

My favourite is still Vol. 3 - shortly followed by the first Sabbath album and in fact Sabotage. As MP are obviously intensifying their MotorSabbath leanings, we should probably start another Sabbath thread?
    Personally I'm quite happy MotorYes is over for the moment, although I miss MotorFloyd a little...

Posted 1 week ago #
  29. supernaut

fave Sabbath album with my fave song: Vol 4

obviously

But I love all OzzySabbath albums except for Technical Ecstasy, except for "It's Allright". That one is a forgotten AOR classic.

Posted 1 week ago #
  30. shakti

Overall favourite Sabbath album: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Sabbath completely over-the-top great but album not-quite-making it to the absolute top: Sabotage

Album with the absolute best track: Volume 4 (Wheels of Confusion).

Sabotage has the band probably at their peak - the riffs are simpler than ever yet heavier than ever. Their collective power was so staggering by then that it's almost like they can't control it....the music controls *them*. It's strange - it's probably the album I like the best for those reasons, but as an *album*, of songs, arrangements and Production, I think SBS edges it out.

Posted 1 week ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.