Camp Motorpsycho » General

The Crucible (Feb 15, 2019)

(232 posts)
  • Started 7 months ago by Tomcat
  • Latest reply from karmadrome

Tags:

1. shakti

BTW, this down-tuned riffing that Snah has been doing lately is also a bit of a nod to Motorpsycho's early days. It was all over the first few albums up to and including Timothy's Monster (at least the early version), but then the alternate tunings seemed to take more over.

Perhaps revisiting Demon Box inspired this?

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. Smarti333s

Your descriptions are super interesting. Tickles my imagination. Don't want to listen to it until it comes out, the anticipation grows.

Posted 5 months ago #
  3. naur

From the Stickman Newsletter:
    Thank you to everyone who has pre-ordered the new Motorpsycho album The Crucible! These beauties have arrived at the ranch and are being prepared for shipping next week. Though our exclusive colored edition has sold out, the black version is still available in our webstore!

YES!

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. Punj Lizard

"Lux Aeterna"

NA KRAWĘDZI ŚWIATŁA [PDM #213] (Rockserwis.fm)

http://www.rockserwis.fm/serwis.do?menu=main&pid=18571&cat=50&l=1 (00:16:53 - 00:27:23)

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. marc

Punj! Great find, thanks!

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. Tomcat

A good interview with Bent incl. insights into the new album and the psychoverse in general:

https://www.betreutesproggen.de/2019/02/bent-sther-motorpsycho-on-the-crucible

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. punknotyet

Very nice interview, thank you!
    It also has links to interviews about The Tower and HBM. Will read them as well.

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. Punj Lizard

Thanks Tomcat.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. marc

Thanks, so they have 2 to 4 songs left from the recording sessions. EP/single?

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. ThorEgil

Looks like Bent Sæther and Bob LeBad need to speak together more often.

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. Kid A

Really cool interview. Thanks for the find! What Bent says about KK and the Geb-era songs, was exactly my thought, when I saw Tomas live first. There´s the punch into the guts, that KK could never really deliver. Listened to HMF just this morning and was wondering why this album never really got me, instead of the very good songwriting. And I think the drums is the key. Listen to Starhammer live recordings from the last tour and you know what I mean
    (Hey, but I LOVE KK with Spidergawd )

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. Ercarnar

That's interesting, I always felt Kenneth was mind blowing as far as "impact" in the band!

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. JERO

GEB was the original guy, soulful drumming. Kenneth precise and Rock, did a great job for a certain MP-era. But now with Tomas, there's adventure again. His jazzy approach (all ears!), the crazy Brufordesque rolls and fills all over the place,his handling of dynamics; very impressive, like in Lux Aeterna, and all the time you have the feeling he is still growing and developping into probably one of the greatest drummers of our time. Again; so lucky to witness this band.
    Been listening to Lux a lot by ways of that Polish podcast, and it's really hard not to use only superlatives like that German music-journalist does...This is perfection, there you go. An 11 minute symphony, and in lyrics and moods something like a process we go through confronted with death/the end : (denial) those first words; (anger) the total krankjoreme fucked up supernatural Snah part at 2/4 of the song; (reflection/sorrow) the bluesy part and (acceptance)the reprise. I'm not saying this is what the song is meant to be about, it's what I found listening to it's wonderful structure.
    When that new album arrives sometime these next days, I'm damn sure it will fill this house with Motorpsychodelic sound for a long long while!

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. Fiske Boll

Picked up a nice early surprise at the post office today. First listen now. Promising.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. really?

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. Neil Tesor

Got mine today! What a weird record!

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. Fiske Boll

Yup, really.
    Only got one chance to spin through the record yesterday. First impressions are really good. Of course it could be longer, but we are spoiled after all.
    There is a lot to dig into here. Gongs, horns, mellotron, really weird guitar solos with even weirder sounds, great riffs and great melodies.
    In parts of track 2 and 3 I get a lot of King Crimson vibes. Flutes and horns and that good ol traktorbass. And that cant be a bad thing, right?

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. thewebguy

Bob's thoughts: http://motorpsycho.no/2019/02/thoughts-on-the-crucible/

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. Elvin

Got the Rune edtion! Had one semi-concentraded listen and first thoughts: Heavy and quite demanding. Quite similar in the style of the Tower and the Unicorn imo, but much stronger material. As Fiske Boll said, theres A LOT to dig into, but because of that im glad its not longer.

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. mefisto

After first listen, this record is quite confusing. They seem to have put a lot of different styles, sounds, bits and pieces into these three "songs". I am pretty sure this is a grower. I just hope I will grow with it and come out on the right side of the unicorn fence.

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. Bartok

I haven’t heard it yet (apart from Psychotzar – killer! The initial riff! That last RIFF!), but from what I’m reading I’m pretty sure this will end up as my favorite MP record of the last, uh, 20 years. Just saying!✌️ Love when they’re on an emotive trip in space, the long expanding songs. And this is the entire record this time. Can’t wait!

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. paolinogrande001

Usually my copy arrives 1-2 weeks after release, this time it was early!
    Was going to bring the CD to work with me but of course I forgot it. Haven't even opened it yet, I don't know what's wrong with me these days...

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. Punj Lizard

Another great interview with Bent.

https://skug.at/motorpsycho-befeuern-den-schmelztiegel-der-u-musik/

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. pfnuesel

Bent looks a bit like the old lady on the cover of Demon Box.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. paolinogrande001

@pfnuesel Oh my dog, that is the greatest thing ever!!

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. pfnuesel

Sorry, didn't got my copy yet. Must kill time.

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. manbitecat

Got the record yesterday. Great stuff. But reading all the bullshit about KK’s drumming..... oh man. How fucking stoned are you guys!?!

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. supernaut

I said it before, I'll say it again (and again):

I looooooooooooooove KK's drumming. Not because his techniques, but because he's wild. He might disagree, but to me he's more Keith Moon than say Portnoy or Peart or Carey.

But I'm also completely happy with Tomas. He's amazing and perfect for this new MP era.

(I just wonder if I wouldn't know and someone would tell me that's Kenneth on The Crucible... would I really doubt it? Do we really hear what we think we hear?)

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. pfnuesel

(I just wonder if I wouldn't know and someone would tell me that's Kenneth on The Crucible... would I really doubt it? Do we really hear what we think we hear?)

Ah, would love to have some kind of double deaf study. I doubt you hear the difference as clear as you think.

Posted 4 months ago #
  30. Punj Lizard

To me it seems reasonable that a musician as adept and experienced, not to mention one with as keen an understanding of what makes a song shine, as Bent, who wrote the vast majority of the band's music throughout its history, is capable of making assessments on the subtle differences between the musicians he's played with day in and day out over substantial periods of time. I don't hear him dissing anyone, just making observations. Having said that, as a human being it seems reasonable also that his statements might be tainted by personal issues, but I have zero insight on what they might be.

I also think it's telling that, as far as I know, he didn't say anything as detailed as this about Tomas and KK until now, when he'd recorded two albums and played a whole bunch of gigs with Tomas. I've heard musicians from other bands diss their former collaborators and big-up their replacements far too quickly for their comments to be based on fair, level-headed assessment.

Posted 4 months ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.