Camp Motorpsycho » General

2018-11-30 Nasjonal Jazzscene, Oslo w/ Maja Ratkje

(65 posts)
  • Started 2 weeks ago by paolinogrande001
  • Latest reply from Tomcat
  1. paolinogrande001

Really, really curious about this thing tonight with Ratkje. I've not heard much of hers, but it seems to fit in really nicely with some of the more experimental early noise stuff with Deathprod. Hoping for some golden oldies tonight, Demon Box would be awesome!

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  2. otherdemon

Well, I saw on Instagram that Lars Horntveth will join them for this gig.

I also read an interview with RuneGram where he said that they would play 2 long, separate sets. So I interpreted that as MP & Ratkje won't play together... Here's the link

And as earlier mentioned, it looks like Nasjonal Jazzscene will stream this on Youtube!

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  3. Bartok

This will be good. YouTube link wonderful and in great quality. Already enjoying Maja Ratkje, too bad the electricity is out in my block, hope it comes back so I can fire up the batteries before MP hits the stage.. 😬 And hope some tech wizard out there can capture the entire thing and add it to YouTube permanently 🤞

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  4. getting really excited now...

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  5. TAF

Opening with K9? It's gonna be a long ride.

EDIT: By the way, anyone else notice a change in the vocal sound live during the last year or so? The vocals sound like they're processed in a different way, affecting the timbre of the vocals somewhat. I'm not gonna say autotune (:P), but to my ears there's a difference, at least.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  6. Tomcat

I think that was introduced when they started working with Ketil, their live mixer a few years back (around "BTS/HBM"?). He's doing a good job, they sound more ... harmonic indeed

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  7. Tomcat

Superb images, Snah just had Tomas' fire burning on his body brilliant sound and performance as well. Pouh. 25 minutes in and the dog's peak is just reached.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  8. TAF

Speaking of Tomas, I notice he's all bearded up now.

Also, I love his drumming on K9. On the record Geb played it with a liberal sprinkling of ghost notes on the snare, rather unlike his normal drumming - and Tomas nails it.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  9. Tomcat

SETLIST

Chien (26 minutes)
    Cuckoo
    Ship Of Fools
    A Pacific Sonata
    Dreamhome (newly spaced out ending)
    Bardog
    Starbanger (far out middle section)
    Taifun
    ----
    The Tower
    (2h15m)

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  10. TAF

Sounds like the sound engineer forgot to add the bass to the streaming sound. It's extremely low in the mix - so low it sounds like it's just been picked up by other microphones on stage.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  11. Hi fellow nerds! Glad to watch this concert together with you. Radical stuff so far, huh? Now this long play with the ending of Cuckoo. Needless to say I love it.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  12. Tomcat

In der Tat, nice to meet you Anders (and TAF, yet unknown ) A motorpsychedelic live concert chatroom - isn't that wonderful?!

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  13. Tomcat

I thought its just my small TV speakers - the sound comes directly of the mixing desk I assume, and as "Bent is loud" he is very low in the mix ... the people in front of him right now will have their blood cells twisted though

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  14. Hahaha, it's quite remarkable. Even the Moog Taurus goes through, shaking Copenhagen with Ship of Fools

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  15. TAF

Ah yes, always nice to enjoy a friday night in the wildest way imaginable - with tea, cheese and crackers in front of the computer, geeking out on a gig with fellow psychonauts.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  16. The mix could have been better, but at least there is no doubt about what Lars contributes

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  17. TAF

Anyone wanna take bets whether Lux Aeterna makes an appearance tonight?

EDIT: Bent's introduction to Pacific Sonata: "Thanks to Rune for letting us in on the celebration. There's something in having a home. This is a song about a friend who almost lost his, three weeks ago. In Malibu."

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  18. Would have made perfect sense, but have they had time to rehearse it?

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  19. Tomcat

I would love to hear it, now that Lars is with them even more somehow.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  20. TAF

I really like Lars' contributions, he brings a very wide palette of sounds into the mix. I liked Ståle Storløkken as well, but he's a bit more abrasive to my ears. And Reine should really stick to guitar.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  21. Tomcat

I love his guitar, but I also like his Mellotron (Reine). Brings in some Crimson touch.

Edit: Jeez, really had to turn up the bass volume on my TV at the end of Sonata - never thought this would be necessary with motorpsycho

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  22. Reine plays some cool stuff too, but yes, I also like Lars' contributions. It's also amazing how the Pacific Sonata has grown the past year. Lars' sound here is just perfect. They bring so much more out in it now than back then.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  23. TAF

Well, true, Tomcat. I guess my impression of Reine on keys still suffers from when I recorded the Rockefeller gig on the 2014(?) tour. I hadn't heard K9 live before, iirc, and I was super excited for it, only to be less than satisfied by Reine's off-key theremin impressions.

And yes, the sonata has developed very nicely! I like the added power in the last part, where the lp version never really reaches full intensity or potential.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  24. Tomcat

Wow, live flute! <3
    ... those guitar "flights" recently at the end of Dreamhome are amongst the best motorpsycho moments ever. But where are they going now? Yeah!!

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  25. Wow, what is this?

Edit: I still have no clue, but wow!

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  26. Tomcat

Mountainesque Floyd jam !

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  27. Hahaha, still Dreamhome! Wow, and now Bartok

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  28. Tomcat

That would be where I'd get some beers if this was a tour happening and me having lots of shows and friends around me

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  29. Hahaha, and I would appreciate the beer you bring me. Cheers!

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  30. Johnny_Heartfield

Dreamhome could've gone on forever - just got into jamming along nicely on flute towards the end...

Posted 2 weeks ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.