Camp Motorpsycho » General

Roadwork VI - or "what blew our minds on Crucible II"?

(37 posts)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. Tomcat

The autumn tour is over, time to gather fresh memories before the bootlegs let us go deeper:

What songs/versions of the Crucible II tour would deserve a Roadwork release?

My choice:
    - Starhammer (!)
    - Mountain
    - August
    - The Tower
    - Hogwash/Spin + Bonny combos

And any Fools Gold. Lux Aeterna also became a majestic closer to a show. Not sure if Whip That Ghost was nailed this tour. (I attended Cologne, Leipzig, Berlin and Hengelow).

If we add the first leg of the tour there is more to add of course, alone Leuven held at least three candidates (Lacuna Spacerise, Pacific Sonata, Fools Gold).

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. Flippern

Haven't attended any of the latest shows, but Fool's gold was amazing in Trondheim this spring as well. Really hope to hear that on a roadwork soon. Have we ever had Black to comm on a live record? I think that track swings live. I'd also like to hear a Year zero some time.

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. Deadnautpsychohead

I could only attend Bremen in the second leg. I liked Whip That Ghost a lot, highlight was without any doubt Fools Gold. Sadly, I didn't have a Starhamster.

I was in Hamburg in spring, so I had two Überpilgrims this year and that was another highlight of the whole tour for me.

@Flippern: B2C is on RW I

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. pim

The Wheel in The Hague

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. Johnny_Heartfield

Generally I liked the long long long pieces best - lots of space to explore. So the Berlin Hogspin-Halleluwash is one of my favourites, same as one of these two last German Starhmmers (Leipzig or Berlin). In comparison & hindsight I find the Cologne show rather dissappointing - although there was some good noodling at the start and a wonderful Fool's Gold at the end.
    What about Whip that Brother / Song for a Ghost? Probably the Bremen one, but there were lots of other good versions on this tour.
    The Crucible material doesn't develop much on a live record - it is great live material, but giving that it was probably recorded almost live in the studio there is not much difference apart from the various noise/freakout parts. Probably Psychotzar as an opener?
    I would always swap that for The Cuckoo - rarely played on this tour but still awaiting a live relase. The Berlin version?
    The Sonata should also find its place on the next possible RW record - so why not make it a triple one again?
    And this was only the choice from the second leg of the Crucible tour...

edit: I forgot that brilliant Cologne August version - to be included!

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. supernaut

Lux, Fool's and a really really really trippy Sonata.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. fillmore

Every "Starhammer" and "Tower" jam, just the jams.

The Leipzig or Hengelo "Mountain".

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. grindove

One thing I wish for is that no songs are spread out over two sides of the vinyl. It happens twice on RW5, and it really ruins the listening pleasure for me. I'd prefer shorter versions with no interuptions.

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. wrax

Uberpilgrim
    Hogwash
    Mountain
    Psychotsar
    Fool's Gold
    The Cr0ucible

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. wrax

An accompanying CD would help solve the long track problem.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. grindove

An accompanying CD would help solve the long track problem.

Sure, I know, and those of us who actually prefer to play our vinyls only have ourselves to blame - that's life. But what surprises me is that this has happened on Motorpsycho releases, although Bent etc praises and values the vinyl format.

Sadly, I've only listened through the complete RW5 twice, because it's too annoying. Still, yes, I understand: that's MY problem.

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. Aki

Vote for The Tower in Frankfurt

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. Krist Rampage

They have been touring quite a lot with Reine Fiske over the last few years. What i’d like to hear on a new RW is songs that really show the magic of this lineup. Songs as August, Triggerman, the Tower.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  14. dongonz

I only attended the Leipzig Show.

So my Favs are:
    August
    Starhammer
    Überpilgrim

If there were good Versions of Triggerman, SongBro, Sonata or Hogwash I'd like to have them on the Record to

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  15. Rune

The Wheel in The Hague

This.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  16. Hans Boller

I want an official live version of Fool's Gold... Live that song turns from a nice little acoustic ditty into an absolute Monster on par with Vortex Surfer!

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  17. For me it would be Dreamhome from Leipzig and Starhammer from Den Haag

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  18. JERO

Well, I guess everyone's choices depend on the concerts they attended, and although I think it's fun to speculate; no next roadworks album has been announced yet and by now we know the boys are gonna do what they wanna do, so who knows what we'll get, which is another reason why I love MP: the surprises (The Light Fantastic sure was one)!
    As far as I am concerned standing here like you all at the wishing well; I'd say just publish the integral Den Haag gig as a dvd-haircuts II kinda thing, or vinyls (3 to 5) with dvd and cd kinda package like they did with the Konsert For Folk Flest !
    It deserves that kind of solid documentation in my opinion.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  19. ffbernie

its coming JERO...its coming...

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  20. JERO

Hahaha, @Bernie, I wasn't being impatient, you take all the time you need to do it right! Just playing along with the game here. The results of your work will probably come very close to what I fantasized and will help me through the winter in the best way!

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  21. JERO

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  22. stereosofa

You lied from Bremen with Tomas' drum solo was Killer (especially with the woman yelling "Tomas!" at its peak-check out spacebandit's recording) and deserves a proper live release (imo).

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  23. cjacob

MAD SUN..Mountain...

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  24. wrax

I would like a six vinyl box set containing all the songs played during the Autumn tour of Europe. Am I asking too much? Maybe leave out tracks from RW5 (only for the sake of space) but that just leaves out Un Chien d’espace, Ship of Fools and Manmower. If they had to limit it to just three discs then I would plump for the ones with the **.

Psychotzar **
    The Crucible
    Mountain **
    The Tower
    Uberpilgrim **
    Fools Gold **
    A Pacific Sonata
    Mad Sun **
    Hogwash **
    Bonny Lee **
    You Lied **
    No Evil
    Dreamhome **
    Spin Spin Spin
    Granny takes a trip
    Song for a Bro
    Year Zero **
    Upstairs/Downstairs
    The Jig is up
    California (I’m so sold)
    August
    Feel **
    Mockingbird
    Greener
    A Song for Everyone
    Manmower
    Starhammer **
    Hey Jane
    Lux Aeterna **
    Black 2 Comm
    Pills Powders etc **
    The Light Fantastic
    On my Pillow **
    The Alchemyst
    For Mad Men Only
    Triggerman **
    On a Plate
    Ship of Fools
    Nothing to say **
    Cuckoo
    THE WHEEL
    Un Chien d’espace
    Into the Sun

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  25. Johnny_Heartfield

Quite unrealistic - you'd block the few remaining European vinyl printing plants with that

As much as it hurts selecting I'd opt for a more "realistic" 3-LP Volume, or better a still not completely unrealistic 4 LP Box with side lengths between 19 and 23 min.
    Selection would then be as follows:

S.1:
    The Jig Is Up
    Granny Takes A Trip
    Triggerman

S.2:
    The Cuckoo
    Überpilgrim

S.3:
    Starhammer (20 min. version)

S.4:
    August (Cologne)
    Song for A Bro (Cologne)

S.5:
    Hogspin-Halleluwash

S.6:
    Mountain (full blown)

S.7:
    Psychotzar
    The Tower

S.8:
    For Madmen Only
    Fool's Gold

Think I'll compile that for me anyway on CD, but an official vinyl version would be hog heaven!

A possible full 3 CD edition would then probably also include California, A Pacific Sonata, Mockingbird, The Crucible, Mad Sun and Black to Comm. Jeez!!!

The title presents itself: Of course "For Madmen Only!" Subtitle: Grandpa's European Trip

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  26. Phoots Flower

This is fun.
    And now something completely different.
    3LP + DVD/BR with some vídeos Bernie archiveswith official audios.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  27. BronYAur

Even though they made an exception with Un Chien d'Espace, I hope they'll keep their tradition of not repeating songs in their roadworks... This would exclude Hogwash from Heartfield's list...

My possible list for a more modest 2LP could be:

A
    The Jig is Up
    August

B
    Mountain

C
    Starhammer

D
    Song for a Bro
    Fools Gold

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  28. JERO

Well if there would come a roadwork from this tour, true to the aim of that series, is should be focused on improvisation and deviation from 'regular album' versions. So then stuff like the starhammers, towers, pacific or otherwise sonata's, manmowers etc. makes sense due to their nightly different appearances. There are also songs that are maybe unique to the tour like for madmen only. But as far as the Jigs, all 3 songs from The Crucible, and even fool's gold, however beautiful etc. go, and I'm not saying I didn't loooooove these songs being played, they don't differ too much from the regular album versions. So if they followed that rule it would narrow the choices a bit.
    I just bought the Very Big Xmass MP Gift Sock (see hidden peel off/fold out page in the Connaisseur's Catalogue) still stick (man!) to the idea of a deluxe package (vinyls/cd or download or/with dvd with Bernie's work) of the integral Den Haag gig!

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  29. Johnny_Heartfield

I support the Idea of a Bernie material DVD. As for the audio tracks: Bernie's vids have increased considerably in audio quality over the years. Just listen to those from 2018 & 19!
    Wonder where you get the sounds from, Bernie! Just a lot of mics? Do you remix several sources/positions or did you probably even get mixing desk material the last times? Sounds brilliant in any case!

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  30. ffbernie

hey guys, dvds are so 2010 :-)...just hook your computer up to a big screen and speakers like i do with a simple HDMI connection the secret to the audio of my vids is indeed a mix between mixing desk recordings and some extra mics. I assure you mixing desk recording alone are unlistenable (very unmotorpsychodelic). The key to understanding their live sound is they like to have the onslaught come from their amps on stage. So in the PA there is not much bass or guitar...just drums and vocals mainly. So what i did the last couple of years is put 2 mics on stage to get the full blast of Bents bass and Snahs guitar. The drums and vocals I blend in from the mixing board recordings...sometimes the balance works, sometimes not. But LEUVEN, BRAINE and DEN HAAG were pretty good mix wise...You gotta be a little lucky as well thanks for the kind words everyone...the rest of the Den Haag show should be up next week (Im at my upload limit again...damn these long songs)

Posted 3 weeks ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.