Camp Motorpsycho » General

The All Is One

(89 posts)
  • Started 1 month ago by sunchild.holgi
  • Latest reply from crossskip

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. Punj Lizard

No doubt someone watching this forum will know what N.O.X. stands for, but I have been trying to figure it out. All I've come up with so far (apart from NOx being Nitrous Oxides) is "Norwegian Orange Xenomorphs" and I really think that's unilikely. So, any guesses?

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. Punj Lizard

Other potential influences on the album's song titles:

'One must imagine Sisyphus happy' is apparently a quote from Albert Camus' The Myth of Sisyphus.

'The Reign of Humbug' is the title of: (1) an 1825 satirical etching; (2) an 1836 satire in verse by an anonymous writer; and (3) a 1900 pamphlet published by the Gaelic League and written by Agnes O'Farrelly. I could imagine this following some of the lyrical trends apparent in 'The Tower' and 'Psychotzar'.

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. marc

@Punj: (N)imbly(O)perated(X)ylophones???
    @Krist: We'll see about the distribution on the vinyl sides, but I hope for regular A/B and C/D. That way you could make a smooth transition using two turntables and a crossfader

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. Punj Lizard

@Marc: Ha ha. Good one.

I personally hope the NOX suite appears on one CD and the other tracks on the other.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. Johnny_Heartfield

@ Supernaut: Roy Harper IS God. Even though he sang: "The Death of God" (A mediocre late single, but just the same...).

Listen to this, and you might find traces of Iron Maiden in there:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDPqhcYSKGg

Haha, just joking. "Thick as A Brick" is roughly from the same time, but came after Harper's "Stormcock" album - so who traces who? Ian Anderson counted Harper amongst his early idols and inspirations - "the first one to leave Blackpool", he quoted, before he went on to exchange the guitar given to him by one Lemmy Kilmister for a flute in the next music instruments shop (old stories...)

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. Ratmaus

A strange loop, indeed.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. Punj Lizard

@Ratmaus: Thanks. This too.

Strange Loop

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. Ratmaus

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. supernaut

@johnny
    now that you're mentioning it, I do hear Iron Maiden in there. In the vocal phrasing, this does sound like ol' Bruce at a campfire.

I'm aware Thick as a Brick came out later. That's what I meant. There's a part in Stormcock that reminds me strongly of a section late in that Tull tune going "do you beliiiieeeeve in the daaaay?".

And "Norwegian Orange Xenomorphs", well that doesn't sound too far fetched.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  10. nicoot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysopoeia, mentioning The All Is One and Ouroboros...
    Apparently Hannah Arendt wrote about The all is one as well:

"What is so remarkable in all these theories and doctrines is their implicit monism, the claim that behind the obvious multiplicity of the world’s appearances and, even more pertinently to our context, behind the obvious plurality of man’s faculties and abilities, there must exist a oneness — the old hen pan, “the all is one” — either a single source or a single ruler."
    Hannah Arendt , in The Life of the Mind (1971), p. 70

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  11. JERO

Aha! Eureka! :idea:... These speculations about the meaning of the songtitles really NOX me out! Have been pondering 'Ascension' ; I was thinking of John Coltrane ( a distant forefather of Glenn Branca), his 1965 'Ascension' was a big band freejazz exploration, set up in a way MP might have done for a big piece with some guest musicians. But surely ascension means also simply going upstairs to your man's cave, or in the case of Jesus going 'up' to 'his Father's' realm. Personally I guess MP are refering to the mancave, they must have foreseen the months of isolation to come...

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  12. a very vague assumption could be that n.o.x. forms the symbol of extinction rebellion:
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_Rebellion

no idea if there could be any truth in this interpretation, indeed.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  13. nox is also the translation for night in latin. it could make sense if you consider that motorpsycho on the last t-shirts also used latin sentences like "cave tyrannis" etc.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  14. Tomcat

15. marc

Bent, Tomas, Snah. Great that they do such stuff

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  16. nicoot

Found it! Night of Pan = N.O.X.

But the tracklist says Night of PAIN...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_Pan

"a mystical state that represents the stage of ego-death in the process of spiritual attainment"

OK.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  17. Jeremy

So a happy song...

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  18. great @nicoot. pan finally, yeah...

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  19. TheVoid

Maybe essential for the N.O.X. Song(s):
    "The Greek word Pan also translates as All, and so he is a symbol of the Universal, a personification of Nature" (Wikipedia)

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  20. Punj Lizard

@nicoot - Well-discovered! Very interesting reading. Can't wait to see how this all pans out (pun intended).

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  21. Johnny_Heartfield

In response to Lizard's Pun (and all the other information):

"Creepy Crowley Creepy Crowley
    Creepy Creepy Crowley Crowley
    Bob Le Bad the Mystic" (Omm...)

Enough punning - eager to hear the music! Night of Pan - my God!
    ("Punning Punning, we're punning again...")

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  22. Punj Lizard

Some intetesting lyrics are being posted over on Instagram

[Spoiler alert (lyrics and images)]

Ouroboros

The All Is One

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  23. wow. that really goes deep. its like what is needed nowadays.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  24. Punj Lizard

Five Rise Records in the UK has a slightly different blurb for the album that incudes the detail that the album has been mixed by Andrew Scheps at his Punkerpad Studio.

Five Rise Records

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  25. oh wow. great that he mixed again. really love the sound on crucible. fits very well.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  26. Punj Lizard

I can't find the link now, but one site stated that the album is produced by Bent, mixed by Scheps, and mastered by Deathprod.

Posted 1 week ago #
  27. Punj Lizard

CD track listing as given at amazon.co.uk

Disc: 1
    The All Is One
    The Same Old Rock (One Must Imagine Sisyphus Happy)
    The Magpie
    Delution (The Reign of Humbug)

Disc: 2
    N.O.X. I - Circles Around the Sun, Pt 1
    N.O.X. II - Ouroboros (Strange Loop)
    N.O.X. III - Ascension
    N.O.X. IV - Night of Pan
    N.O.X. V - Circles Around the Sun, Pt 2
    A Little Light
    Dreams of Fancy
    The Dowser
    Like Chrome

No equivalent given for vinyl yet.

Posted 1 week ago #
  28. shakti

As already mentioned, track 2 shares a title with a Roy Harper song from his masterpiece «Stormcock». I had tried briefly to get into this album before via streaming but it never really grabbed me. A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a CD copy in a thrift shop. Among piles and piles of crap (how many people received Helmut Lotti CDs for Christmas in the late 90s/early 2000s?), oddly enough this quite esoteric title showed up.

It has been on constant rotation in the car since then. Once again it didn’t grab me at first, but after almost 10 rounds it finally began to sink in and I almost got the shivers. My God, what a fantastic record! Highly, highly recommended.

Posted 1 week ago #
  29. Un.Chien.d.Espace

..., but after almost 10 rounds it finally began to sink in and I almost got the shivers.

One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

Posted 1 week ago #
  30. Johnny_Heartfield

We're all too wasted from the onslaught of consumer-friendly, mainstreamed or even agressive product merchandising - be it acoustic or otherwise. And thus forget to listen or concentrate - sometimes even mor than once - before we judge. But then: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can never make him drink" - you can lead a man to Harper, but you can never make him... (think? enjoy? like? dig? digest - whatever.)

Roy is not god - he is antigod! (divine, but gods-defying).

Posted 1 week ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.