No tags yet.

1. Tomcat

Timetable
    https://bit.ly/3CrISds

Covid-Info
    https://www.desertfest.be/ghent

Directions
    https://www.desertfest.be/ghent

Trivia: Two days to go. Second and last continental show in almost two years since covid stopped it all. Will they change the setlist and use the chance to present recent material not played in Antwerp (f.e. The Waning, Kingdom of Oblivion, Same Old Rock or Like Chrome)? Maybe even the floydish long new track? One can always dream, especially in Belgium

Thumbs up Desterfest, may Ghent be successful and as enjoyable as its big brother only 60km away ... weird when you think about it. Belgium got balls. And beer. And vibes. Thanks for bringing us motorpsycho, and so much more!

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. Juergen

I will keep my fingers crossed that you will hear other songs which you haven't heard in Antwerp before, especially the new long track. Maybe it is called Azrael or Ancient Astronauts? If they play it and you can reach a setlist then we will know.

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. nicoot

There's a poster in the hallways of Desertfest Ghent with Motorpsycho headlining the event "25 Years of Orange Factory" in Leuven on 23-24 September 2022, along with Elephant9, Monkey3, Ufomammut and Hypnos69. ALRIGHT!

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. Blashyrkh

Nox
    Upstairs
    Rattlesnake
    The united debased
    On a plate
    Cosmoctopus
    The waning
    Llm
    Like Chrome

What a show !

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. nicoot

Weird show with very few reference points...

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. Mcgie2002

I am sorry to say that I have prematurely fled the concert, first time in 25 gigs. Seldom before have i witnessed such badly distorted, resonating and painfully loud sound. How a PA engineer can not hear this utter mess is beyond me…

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. Blashyrkh

Indeed, the first 45 minutes were a big mess… the sound was aweful.
    But a surprising setlist.

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. ffbernie

@McGie2002 : you are right the sound was awful but its just not a very good hall for loud rockconcerts....believe me Ive been going there for 25 years. It has nothing to do with the sound engineer who was also very unhappy about it...there was nothing he could do. Just a bad idea to do a festival there. videos will be good as the sound is from the mixing desk and my secret stage mics so no back of the hall noise terror

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. Mcgie2002

Thanks for clarifying that Bernie. Could be that hall perhaps... I’ve been to enough wildly loud MP concerts over the decades, but the actual musical audibility being reduced to such a distorted decible concoction? (monitors for the guys probably too). As far as i can remember, i have not lived through many of those gigs before.

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. Juergen

Thanks for the report!

Was "Rattlesnake" the song from "Barracuda" or "Rattlesnake Shake" (Fleetword Mac) which was performed a few times in 2009 and 2010? The Barracuda track has never been played live before.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. Mcgie2002

It was the Barracuda one (as far ad i could tell lol

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. Tomcat

Yes, Barracuda Snake. We chose to be up front last night and that was a good decision. Seeing the guys so close again gave that extra kick. I remember some extraordinary jams in NOX and LLM (!). Wanning II is also killer.

The set was about two hours long and worked well in combination with Antwerp. NOX as opener is brilliant and I was glad to have some more new tracks performed.

Rumour is that they'll tour in May and have Reine on board again. That would open opportunities to play even more KoO material. May it come true...

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. Tomcat

@Bernie: Glad you were there, looking forward some decent video and audio 😏

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. Punj Lizard

Thanks for the reports everyone. Looking forward to your videos Bernie. And I'm already getting hyped for "25 Years of Orange Factory" on top of a tour in May 22

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. Mo

Such a miserable soundmix... I was looking forward to see the band play in my hometown again for the first time in almost twenty years. Furthermore this was my first concert in a loooong time (due to some obscure virus), so I was hoping for a memorable evening, but frankly I was quite disappointed. Judging by the number of people who left the room early, I wasn't the only one.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. ffbernie

hey everyone, first batch right here !!! loud chaotic and in your face ! Great show http://www.motorpsychodelicclips.com/

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. Johnny_Heartfield

Wow! Bernie, you've out-bernied yourself this time! Next you'll post the vids BEFORE the gig...

Thank you very, very much!

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. ffbernie

@Johnny_Heartfield HAHAHA ! i know...personal record this time ..;glad you noticed

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. suntripper

Hey Bernie! Love the split screen!

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. ffbernie

@Suntripper : thanks...no good spot for the gopros so out of necessity but there you go..;and it kinda looks like people are recording on their phones x bernie

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. fillmore

First time seeing Motorpsycho after a gap of two years was intense! Opening with "NOX" reduced the following set to a mere afterthought, I felt. "NOX" itself climaxed in a claustrophobic, nightmarish, inescapable, almost unbearable vortex of noise, overwhelming all senses. Tomas was great in this last movement of "Nox". Later in the set they went deep another time during "Hallucifuge". While Vooruit is a magnicent venue and room, it was unfortunately ill fitted for this type of loud and heavy music, but it was alright directly in front of the stage where we stood. The band lost about half of the crowd over the course of the set (they started at 22:45 and played for 115 min). And what's with the moustaches, btw?

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. supernaut

Shame if there was a bad sound on site, bernie's videos sound fantastic...

This being a festival with lots of loud bands, was it only MP's problem? Losing half of their crowds? Maybe NOX was simply too wild and intense for the stoner crowd...

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. Johnny_Heartfield

@ supernaut: Losing half the crowd? Not bad, but CAN alledgedly did it better in 1970 - at their first gig with Damo Suzuki in Munich they lost almost everybody - only 10-15 per cent remained - or was it 10-15 people?

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. fillmore

The sound generally sucked in the big hall, so other bands sounded shitty too (some folks could not bear to watch 1000 Mods like that).

I wouldn't overstate the fact that the hall emptied during the set, after all this was a fairly long set for a festival setting and it was quite late. A person who is somewhat interested in MP will use this festival occasion to check them out but he might not necessarily stay until the very end given the fact that this person has already seen many other bands earlier. So of course the MP-tourist will leave after about an hour. That's the way festivals work, you check out a band for a couple of songs and move on. In Antwerp, which was the bigger and more important event, they devoted the first hour of the set to material which was more appropriate for a festival so the casual festival tourist got his/her money's worth and a more streamlined impression of MP in 2021.

Fwiw, Electric Moon, who are a good draw for this crowd, also played an afterhours set starting late past midnight and overlapping with MP's set, so folks will have wandered over to the small stage as well. But of course MP being the headliner should be expected to manage to captivate the majority of the crowd. However, they are an aquired taste and their type of prog rock is probably too much to stomach for the average Stoner Rock fan, so yes, they managed to empty the hall

Does it matter to us? I don't think so...

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. mikke

NOX is over 40 mins of music without any understandable lyrics.

At the Rosendal performance there was 90 min non stop music where the vocals was more or less impossible to make any sense of.

MP is at the border of what rock music can be, there should be no surprise to anyone this concept don't appeal to lots of people.

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. Johnny_Heartfield

At Rosendal the concept was music & dance - so not necessarily conceived for an ordinary "rock" audience, though probably everybody came just for that.

@ mikke:
    - MP is at the border of what rock music can be, there should be no surprise to anyone this concept don't appeal to lots of people. - Yep, the concept is called "Überwagner"

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. supernaut

@johnny
    fillmore reported they lost half of the crowd. But yes that's also a common and understandable side effect of festivals.

Since you mentioned it...: I was lucky with Damo. Times have changed obviously. We did a show couple of years back that drew maybe 60 people and only about 10-15% left.

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. Punj Lizard

I watched Bernie's video of NOX a couple of times over the last couple of days and I have to say it's great how the band have taken a complex, carefully crafted, multilayered suite and turned it into an epic 45-minute, take-no-prisoners, 5-part space jam. Stunning!

Posted 3 weeks ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.