No tags yet.

1. Wulf

Interview with Bent in Veil of Sound

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  2. suntripper

Thanks for posting. A good read.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  3. supernaut

Thanks! Interesting bit about the "lightweight" turn-of-the-millenial albums.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  4. supernaut

and if by Ballard Bent means JG Ballard, I can heartily recommend his novel Concrete Island. Nice to see him liking him.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  5. Aki

Kim's insulting cover design for HBM vol 1?

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  6. Ratmaus

The way I read it, Still Life With Eggplant was the ‘insulting’ one (I totally get that, tbh), and although Kim did more covers after that one, it was no longer with carte blanche. My interpretation, I could be wrong..

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  7. cloudhawker

"there is way more substance and darkness in those records than the relatively banal and 2D Trust Us-era albums that are actually pretty cartoonish in places."

Haha, that's a fairly harsh review of your own body of work, particularly as it is the era that so many keep in so high regard. Oh well, if you ever doubted MP is a living, forever evolving organism.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  8. Aki

@Ratmaus
    I see and understand your point of view.
    Is Still Life With Eggplant insulting because it was perceived that the cover idea was completely undesigned (a low level idea) for MP?

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  9. mikke

I doubt Kim's design of Still Life With Eggplant cover has helped to sell the record...

However, I don't get the idea the behind the title either, two not so good ideas combined?

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  10. Ratmaus

@Aki: I can’t speak for the band, but … well, I might appreciate the «still life» tradition taken into a modern expression, in this case with the hard flash photography aesthetics that was trending a few years ago. Still, I personally find this one butt ugly, and even if Kim put a lot of effort into it, I can easily imagine the band seeing the front cover and going «ok, so this is how much you care?». Or «A moldy apple and some random vegetables on the floor in ugly lighting, that’s a good representation of these songs to you, Kim?». If so, I wouldn’t blame them.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  11. Aki

Hmm. Personally, I don't like the cover, but I'm in the design business, so I understand that Kim didn't do a good job. It seems that Kim was given the green light, and I wonder if the band and the designer could have talked a little more before making the cover, if it wouldn't have had such a sad ending. I can't help but think that if the band and designer had talked a little more, it might not have had such a sad ending.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  12. supernaut

I‘ve always took this cover as somewhat of a dry joke. Can‘t say I like it but I also don‘t find it bad boring ugly or whatever. It also eludes me why it‘s supposed to be worse than DB, AADAP or LTEC. From my not being a designer point of view.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  13. David

I'm in the design/art industry myself and I never really liked most of Kim's work tbh.
    Still, I chose "Still Life..." cover over "Here Be Monsters".

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  14. Vegard B. Havdal

To stray off topic a bit, I think (but am not sure) this is my favourite cover of all time. Opinions?

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  15. Johnny_Heartfield

I'm in the design/art industry myself and I never really liked most of Kim's work tbh.

Just shows that being in any industry wastes your taste

Personally I like most of Kim's covers (admittedly the Eggplant one is way over the top). At least he didn't come up with stuff like that:

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  16. David

Ah! Don't get me wrong, it's not that it's bad, but I often thought it wasn't fitting the band's music or album themes.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  17. ThorEgil

Talking about butt ugly covers - Bent forgot to mention this one.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  18. Ratmaus

That one is imho not so much ugly as it’s just plain wrong and looks more like a Turbonegro boxset.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  19. marc

Alltime favs: AADAP & Blissard... that out-of-focus/close-up style is just perfectly fitting the music and of course emotionally special since they were the first mp covers i put my eyes on. RW1 also great. Possibly bad from a layout-rulebook pov, but there's something raw, mystic and monolithic about it. You just feel the monster lurking once you pull out the vinyl.

Btw, has anyone ever seen the oroginal concept for the Barracuda artwork?

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  20. Ratmaus

Yup, it was the mirror image of this, with the tribal on the license plate.

Edit: No idea about the rest, though, or if it was supposed to be a gatefold cover to begin with.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  21. marc

Thanks, i just read at the time of the album that they changed it since it was deemed too similar to Fu Manchu's "California Crossing", being released in the same week. No idea if that's true or corrupted memory of mine

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  22. Ratmaus

Probably the latter, then. Here’s the story, I remember a lot of us being bummed out by the final result, having already seen the «original» Barracuda cover (which wasn’t so original after all, haha).

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  23. Ratmaus

Hmm, all of this reminds me that this was quite a troublesome release. Barracuda was supposed to be released on Man’s Ruin, which also meant Frank Kozik would have designed the cover, but the band backed off after someone (possibly Kozik himself) leaked the mini album (with a slightly different collection of songs) online. Also, there was talk at the time about a British label (the name escapes me) putting out Vanishing Point on a 7”, which sadly never happened.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  24. Aki

This is an interesting episode.
    It's fun to hear about these hidden episodes from the past.

Posted 1 week ago #
  25. Ratmaus

Come to think of it, I’m quite sure the label in question was Sweet Nothing – just to finish that detour.

Posted 1 week ago #
  26. radicus

Still Life... the big vegetable looks like it is flipping the bird!

I really like the Sinful Windborne cover.

Posted 1 week ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.