Camp Motorpsycho » General

Neil Young + Motorpsycho

(33 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by OtherFool
  • Latest reply from OtherFool
  1. OtherFool

Hello fellow Psychonauts!
    As a fanatical Neil Young fan, as well as dedicated Psychonaut, I am in need of a favour. It is well known that MP (especially Bent) are Neil-fans themselves, which has resulted in several cover songs. The most well known cover must be their version of Albuquerque from The Tussler (1996). A wonderful piece of music, I must say. Through the "cover tunes" page on this site one can also figure out that they have done a cover of "Tonight's the night". It was played in Stockholm 2000, and apparently also on the first ever Motorpsycho gig at UFFA, Trondheim, in 1990. In addition to this, I remember them playing a cover of "I've been waiting for you" at their concert in Nordfjordeid (the Malakoff festival) in 25.07.2009.

So, here is my plea to all Psychonauts out there:
    Is it possible to obtain bootlegs for the following concerts, or the cover songs separately?
    So far, thanks a lot to those who have contributed in the process of making this list!

Motorpsycho
    "Down by the River" - Skansen, Trondheim, 06.10.1990 (no recording known)
    "Like a Hurricane" - UFFA, Trondheim, 08.11.1991 (no recording known)
    "Like a Hurricane" - Hvelvet, Flekkefjord, 12.03.1996 (no recording known)
    "Old man" - M 20, Köln, 11.05.1998 (no recording circulating)
    "Rockin' in the free world" - UFFA, Trondheim 08.11.1991 (no recording known)
    "Tonight's the night" - UFFA, Trondheim, 19.04.1990 (no recording known)
    "Tonight's the night" - Rosendal Kino, Trondheim, 15.05.1990 (no recording known)
    "Tonight's the night" - Kjägelbanan, Stockholm, 29.04.2000 (radio recording)
    "Cinnamon girl" - Blitz, Oslo, 01.03.1991 (no recording known)
    "Cinnamon girl" - Elm street, Oslo, 03.03.1991 (no recording known)
    "I've been waiting for you" - Malakoff festival, Nordfjordeid, 25.07.2009 (no recording known)
    "I've been waiting for you" - Raumarock festival, Ã…ndalsnes, 06.07.2009 (no recording known)

The International Tussler Society
    "Alabama" - 3B, Trondheim, 31.03.1995 (no recording known)
    "Alabama" - Down on the Farm Festival, Halden, 02.06.1995 (radio recording known)
    "Alabama" - AVH Sentret, Trondheim, 07.06.1995 (no recording known)
    "Alabama" - So What, Oslo, 07.08.2003 (recording known)
    "Alabama" - Cafe Mono, Oslo, 10.08.2003 (recording known)
    "Alabama" - Blæst, Trondheim, 14.08.2003 (recording known)
    "Alabama" - Lundetangen Pub, Skien, 18.08.2003 (recording known)
    "Alabama" - Harvest, Kvinesdal, 21.08.2003 (no recording known)
    "Albuquerque" - Blæst, Trondheim, 14.08.2003 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Rockefeller, Oslo, 06.08.2003 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - So What, Oslo, 07.08.2003 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Gamle Ormelet, Tjøme, 08.08.2003 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Rockefeller, Oslo, 09.08.2003 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Cafe Mono, Oslo, 10.08.2003 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Blæst,Trondheim, 13.08.2003 (no recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Blæst, Trondheim, 14.08.2003 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Lundetangen Pub, Skien, 18.08.2003 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Garage, Bergen, 20.08.2003 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Harvest, Kvinesdal, 21.08.2003 (no recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Ringnesfestivalen, Skotbu, 23.08.2003 (official release on 2 x 12")
    "When you dance I can really love" - Ramp, Trondheim, 12.05.2004 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Blæst, Trondheim, 18.05.2004 (no recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Tivoli, Utrecht, 10.10.2004 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - SO 36, Berlin, 13.10.2004 (recording known)

If you have more information regarding other MP/TITS NY covers, or additional information to the list above, it is highly appreciated!

In advance, thank you very much!
    Otherfool

PS: The list above will be updated every time more information is provided.

Posted 10 years ago #
  2. otherdemon

The one at Malakoff festival: I think someone mentioned that the Neil Young cover they did there was I've Been Waiting For You, but I don't think it ever got confirmed...

Tonight's The Night from Stockholm 2000 was broadcast on radio.

Posted 10 years ago #
  3. OtherFool

YES! I remember it vividly now, it was definitely "I've been waiting for you". Thanks a lot So now, the question arises again- are there any bootlegs of the three shows mentioned in my first post? And otherdemon; is it possible to find the radio broadcast somewhere?
    Cheers!

Posted 10 years ago #
  4. otherdemon

There are no bootlegs available from UFFA or Malakoff unfortunately.

However, the Stockholm 2000 gig is available on Dimeadozen if you have an account there.

Or if you just want that particular track, send me an e-mail: counterfeit83(a)gmail.com

And oh yeah, they also covered the song Alabama live as The Tussler.

Posted 10 years ago #
  5. OtherFool

Alright, I understand.. I've got a account, but unfortunately the school computer terminals does not allow downloads. Which implies that I won't get the full album for another 4-5 months when I get back home to Norway. It would be great if you could send me the single track on e-mail though, I'll contact you ASAP. Do you know when and where they did the Alabama cover?

Posted 10 years ago #
  6. Emily Grimes

I also rember them doing a FANTASTIC version of When you dance i can really love,at some Tussler gig in Trondheim-Blæst.

Posted 10 years ago #
  7. Evol

I also rember them doing a FANTASTIC version of When you dance i can really love,at some Tussler gig in Trondheim-Blæst.

Same at a short gig they did at Rockefeller once, I think it was during the Oslo festival, Musikkens Dag.

Posted 10 years ago #
  8. otherdemon

The cover of Alabama they did in Norway 1995 on the Down On The Farm Festival. That bootleg is also on Dimeadozen btw. They also did it a couple of other times in 1995 and 2003.

Posted 10 years ago #
  9. Andreas the Totenoid

Evol: I was there, and I think it was some kind of Øya Kick-off. Magnet and Ricochets played the same night.

Posted 10 years ago #
  10. Evol

That sounds right Andreas! The Magnet concert was really great by the way!

Posted 10 years ago #
  11. OtherFool

Thanks a lot for getting back to me guys! I'll edit my original post with the information you have provided, so that it makes it easier for people to read if they haven't yet. Cheers!

Posted 10 years ago #
  12. fillmore

They also did "Down by the river" back in 1990, but no recording exists.

Posted 10 years ago #
  13. welsh rarebit

OtherFool: You mentioned your school doesn't allow you to download. What kind of school doesn't allow downloads??? Must be a bad school. What I always did at school when I needed help: Ask your teachers.

Posted 10 years ago #
  14. OtherFool

Alright, thanks for the info Fillmore. Are you refering to the (in)famous club with your nick by the way? Thinking about Neil Young's legendary concert there (Fillmore East) in 1970 with Crazy Horse. Great live album indeed!

Welsh Rarebit, are you really Welsh? My school is an international one called United World College of the Atlantic, situated approx. 30 min from Cardiff. Apart from the download restrictions it's a fantastic school, and I guess I could go to a internet cafe with my laptop sometime, if I ever had time left over that is.. I'm Norwegian btw.

Posted 10 years ago #
  15. welsh rarebit

No, I'm not born Welsh. But incidentally I happen to know that college quite well, believe it or not. Since this topic was brought up, I put on a TITS recording from Berlin 13.10.04, and as we speek I got When you can dance... in the earphones.

Posted 10 years ago #
  16. OtherFool

Wow, that's quite interesting. Send me an e-mail if you feel like telling me more about that, not many people have heard of the school at all.. Did you put that bootleg on Dimeadozen? Awsome song indeed

Posted 10 years ago #
  17. Juergen

More Neil Young covers:

Cinnamon Girl: played in Oslo 01-03-1991 and Oslo 03-03-1991 (no recordings known)
    Down By The River: played in Trondheim 06-10-1990 (no recording known)
    I've Been Waiting For You: played on the Malakoff festival and on the "Raumarock"-Festival, too (07-08-2009)
    Like A Hurricane: played in Trondheim 08-11-1991 (no recording known)
    Old Man: played in an unofficial show in Köln 11-05-1998 (no recording circulating)
    Rockin' In The Free World: played in Trondheim 08-11-1991 (no recording known)

Alabama: played by The International Tussler Society - a live version from Halden 02-06-1995 was broadcast on the radio

Posted 10 years ago #
  18. dinopsycho

I wonder what a Motorpsycho-take on "Cortez The Killer" would sound like....

Posted 10 years ago #
  19. GBD

Here's "Tonight's the night" from Stockholm 2000 ->

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=VGlkK2VuTkFIcWVGa1E9PQ

Note; The link expires in 7 days

Posted 10 years ago #
  20. Mark

That's a .flac (?) file. Is there a way to make it a .wav or .mp3 file?

Posted 10 years ago #
  21. fillmore

Thanks Jürgen! I knew here had to be more but I was too lazy to look! Amazing!

Fillmore East

Posted 10 years ago #
  22. GBD

Download this program ->

http://members.home.nl/w.speek/flac.htm

Load the file, and decode it to wav. Then it's smooth sailing

Posted 10 years ago #
  23. deusvlc

Or you can use Winamp with the proper codecs, i didn't instale any and works fine though.

BTW, is Bent speaking swedish or trying to? takk!

Posted 10 years ago #
  24. OtherFool

I'm going to update the list with the information Juergen provided.
    Thanks a lot so far guys!

Posted 10 years ago #
  25. OtherFool

The first unofficial Neil Young cover list looks like this. Thanks!

Motorpsycho
    "Down by the River" - Trondheim, 06.10.1990
    "Like a Hurricane" - Trondheim, 08.11.1991
    "Old man" - Köln, 11.05.1998
    "Rockin' in the free world" - Trondheim 08.11.1991
    "Tonight's the night" - UFFA, Trondheim, xx.xx.1990
    "Tonight's the night" - Stockholm, xx.xx.2000
    "Cinnamon girl" - Oslo, 01.03.1991
    "Cinnamon girl" - Oslo, 03.03.1991
    "I've been waiting for you" - Malakoff festival, Nordfjordeid, 25.07.2009
    "I've been waiting for you" - Raumarock festival, Ã…ndalsnes, 06.07.2009

"Alabama" - Unknown location(s), xx.xx.2003
    "Alabama" - Halden, Down on the Farm Festival, 02.06.1995
    "When you dance I can really love" - Berlin, 13.10.04
    "When you dance I can really love" - Blæst, Trondheim, xx.xx.xxxx
    "When you dance I can really love" - Musikkens dag / Øya kick-off, xx.xx.xxxx

If you have more information regarding other MP/TITS NY covers, or additional information to the list above, it is highly appreciated

Posted 10 years ago #
  26. RvL

you can add:
    "When you dance I can really love" - As TITS, Tivoli, Utrecht, xx.xx.2004
    very nice hearing that song then. great gig too. great atmosphere in the room.

Posted 10 years ago #
  27. Mark

I like that 'Tonight's the Night' cover, but to be honest: the singing is awful. I can't understand why both Bent and Snah don't take some singing lessons. Whenever they have sing the higher notes they squeeze their vocal cords. With a little technique they could be decent singers....

Posted 10 years ago #
  28. Crackpot Idea

@ Mark,

You're right! Why don't they take some singing lessons?
    I sometimes hear them (especially Bent) trying and failing to hit some notes during a concert which makes me ask myself that same question.
    Last time at the Deventer gig Bent himself was not pleased with his vocal-performance and openly showed his dislike.
    But like Snah mentioned: playing an instrument and singing at the same time is quite difficult.
    It is also understandable that after so many years of touring (and singing Vortex Surfer for example!) their vocal-chords are not what they are use to be and many artists with the same problem are 'forced' to adapt their singing to the restrictions of their ability.
    But hey, nowadays Clancy can't even sing!
    And I want to mention that I like most of Bent's vocals on HMF!

But when I listen to the 'Tonight's The Night' recording (thanks GBD!) I tend to think that the back-up vocals come's very close to sound like Billy Talbot's scratchy voice.
    Check out the Year Of The Horse dvd.

I would like to hear some other Neil covers by MP!

Neil Young rules big time

Posted 10 years ago #
  29. Juergen

To add more information (including "Albuquerque" which I've forgotten to mention so far):

Motorpsycho
    "Down by the River" - Skansen, Trondheim, 06.10.1990 (no recording known)
    "Like a Hurricane" - UFFA, Trondheim, 08.11.1991 (no recording known)
    "Old man" - M 20, Köln, 11.05.1998 (no recording circulating)
    "Rockin' in the free world" - UFFA, Trondheim 08.11.1991 (no recording known)
    "Tonight's the night" - UFFA, Trondheim, 19.04.1990 (no recording known)
    "Tonight's the night" - Rosendal Kino, Trondheim, 15.05.1990 (no recording known)
    "Tonight's the night" - Kjägelbanan,Stockholm, 29.04.2000 (radio recording)
    "Cinnamon girl" - Blitz, Oslo, 01.03.1991 (no recording known)
    "Cinnamon girl" - Elm street, Oslo, 03.03.1991 (no recording known)
    "I've been waiting for you" - Malakoff festival, Nordfjordeid, 25.07.2009 (no recording known)
    "I've been waiting for you" - Raumarock festival, Ã…ndalsnes, 06.07.2009 (no recording known) -> I am not sure about the date. I thought it was on 07.08.2009 but I might be wrong.

"Alabama" - 3B, Trondheim, 31.03.1995 (no recording known)
    "Alabama" - Halden, Down on the Farm Festival, 02.06.1995 (radio recording known)
    "Alabama" - AVH Sentret, Trondheim, 07.06.1995 (no recording known)
    "Alabama" - So What, Oslo, 07.08.2003 (recording known)
    "Alabama" - Cafe Mono, Oslo, 10.08.2003 (recording known)
    "Alabama" - Blæst, Trondheim, 14.08.2003 (recording known)
    "Alabama" - Skien, Lundetangen Pub, 18.08.2003 (recording known)
    "Alabama" - Harvest, Kvinesdal, 21.08.2003 (no recording known)
    "Albuquerque" - Blæst, Trondheim, 14.08.2003 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Rockefeller, Oslo, 06.08.2003 "Øya kick-off"(recording known)
    "when you dance I can really love" - So What, Oslo, 07.08.2003 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Tjøme, Gamle Ormelet, 08.08.2003 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Rockefeller, Oslo, 09.08.2003 "Øya afterparty" (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Cafe Mono, Oslo, 10.08.2003 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Blæst,Trondheim, 13.08.2003 (no recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Blæst, Trondheim, 14.08.2003 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Lundetangen Pub, Skien, 18.08.2003 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Garage, Bergen, 20.08.2003 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Harvest, Kvinesdal, 21.08.2003 (no recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Ringnesfestivalen, Skotbu, 23.08.2003 (official release on 2 x 12")
    "When you dance I can really love" - Ramp, Trondheim, 12.05.2004 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Blæst, Trondheim, 18.05.2004 (no recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - Tivoli, Utrecht, 10.10.2004 (recording known)
    "When you dance I can really love" - SO 36, Berlin, 13.10.2004 (recording known)

This is all what I have researched from my database. Some Tussler setlists are still unknown (no recordings known and no setlists posted either). Those shows are:

Folken, Stavanger, 19.08.2003
    Ringnesfestivalen, Skotbu, 21.08.2004
    Driv, Tromsø, 14.09.2004
    Rederiet, Kristiansand, 23.09.2004
    Faust, Hannover, 11.10.2004

If anyone has a setlist or can remember the performance of Neil Young covers then it would be great to have this information posted in this thread.

I also noted the following Tussler date: Blæst, Trondheim, 12.08.2003 -> Did this happen or did they play just on 13.08.2003 and 14.08.2003 in this venue?

Posted 10 years ago #
  30. Mark

Looks like they mainly play NY covers in Norway. I'm jealous!

@Crackpot Idea: still, if they would only take some lessons, just for the right technique...

Posted 10 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.