Camp Motorpsycho » General

New release before the Øya-gig!

(57 posts)
  1. stereosofa

starless?

Posted 9 years ago #
  2. dongonz

starless? from king crimson? wow, didn't know that they've ever played it. its my favourite song from crimson.... love to hear a motorpsychodelic version

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. TvdR

Yes, Starless (and bible black) by King Crimson. They played it live during that period. Hope it was recorded!

This is indeed very good news. I just hope they do not decide to do it so thoroughly that it will be postponed as long as the DVD.

Nah, scrap that. The DVD was well worth the wait and we wouldn't want anything slapdash now would we?

Greetings,

Thomas

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. supernaut

nope, it's only Starless. No bible black. The one from the album "Red".

here: http://motorpsycho.fix.no/musicbox/audioclips/

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. TvdR

Thanks supernaut. I always mix up the song title "Starless" with their record title "Starless and Bible Black". Also, the line "starless and bible black" is included in the song "Starless".

Greets,

Thomas

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. otherdemon

They didn't play Starless live in the TM-period. They played it three times on the autumn tour of 1996, and one of those were recorded (Veita, Trondheim)

Posted 9 years ago #
  7. Juergen

Starless was played four times:

1996-09-26 Namsos
    1996-09-30 Trondheim
    1996-10-02 Sogndal
    1997-03-22 Trondheim

The Trondheim show 1996-09-30 is believed to be partially recorded but Starless is probably not included on the incomplete recording. I don't have the incomplete version, either. If anyone has then he can post more details about it, please!

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. TvdR

So I was talking out of my neck again, as the Dutch expression goes. Thanks for clearing this up, guys.

Greets,

a humbled Thomas

Posted 9 years ago #
  9. supernaut

as far as i know, Starless originated in Starless and Bible Black improvs anyway, so...

Posted 9 years ago #
  10. TvdR

Thanks for making it even more difficult & for reminding me of those wonderful Crimson improvs! Now I will have to dig out my "Great Deceiver" box set & play all the 'blows' (as Fripp calls the jams) just for the hell of it. What an ordeal!

Greetings,

Thomas

Posted 9 years ago #
  11. Seattle Psychonaut

Hey folks. Wayward son, Seattle Psychonut, here. Stuck on the other side of the pond. Would have loved to have seen some of the recent shows. LOVE the lists! They must have been great shows. I am currently holed up in the hospital. Had some work done on my leg. I am a left leg below knee amputee ande had to have some "touch-ups" done. Prognosis is good.

Gotta say. I love Starless. I am a huge fan of live recordings but my favorite Starless is the version on Red. Also one of my favorite studio recordings. Totally defined by Bill Bruford's outstanding drum work. One More Red Nightmare is another great example from that. Sad news to relay, Bill Bruford has "oficialy retired" from active work.

Would love to hear a great version from MP. I do have a live version of Starless. Don't know date or location though I can dig it up when I get home. (Alex, Anders et al. MP Live Show Companion?)Anyway, MP is SOOOO good at covering tracks yet still owning them. One More Saturday Night. Heaven and Hell. And possibly the heaviest Motorpsycho track ever (and that's saying something) Up Our Sleeves. Love Humble Pie.

Some great covers for MP

As Safe as Yesterday - Humble Pie
    it's time to bite the bullet and just play it That's it for the Other One - Grateful Dead.
    So many more.

Posted 9 years ago #
  12. TraktorBass

Speaking of King Crimson, have you guys heard the new remastered versions of ITCOTKC and Red? Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) and Fripp have cooperated and remastered the albums from the original master tapes. Even made a 5.1 version. Well worth a listen!

Posted 9 years ago #
  13. Juergen

@ Seattle Psychonaut

It is great to hear that you have a Motorpsycho recording of "Starless" (because I don't have). If you want to share it then feel encouraged to do so!

All the best for your health!!!

Posted 9 years ago #
  14. Evol

There's been for ages live MP version of Starless here on this very website: Click here! Crappy sound, but the only MP version I have heard.

When it comes to Crimson live vs studio of Starless, I gotta say the USA live version beats the crap out of the Red studio version. One reason only: on USA, the super tacky saxophone is omitted!

I would love to hear a MP version in good quality - live or studio!

Posted 9 years ago #
  15. Jan Tore

Good to hear some signs of life from you, Seattle Psychonaut. Hope everything went well and that your leg will heal up all right. It would be great to hear the starless cover, if you have a recording better than the one on this website.

Also, btw. When we hung out in Tacoma, when I played the java jive with my old band, you talked about making me a grateful dead sampler. When you're feeling up to it, drop me a mail, and I can maybe hook you up with something else in return.

Cheers,
    Jan Tore

Posted 9 years ago #
  16. vorsla

In an old interview from either Rock Furore or Beat (norwegian music magazines) Bent said that the had a 15 min long version of watersound. I have dreamed about that this version would be released and i really hope that this "dream" will come true

Posted 9 years ago #
  17. Ratmaus

That would've been great, but I'm afraid you're mixing up Watersound with Giftland. I guess this must be the interview you're talking about, vorsla.

Posted 9 years ago #
  18. mikke

No news, but release is confirmed in mail from RuneGrammonfon:

Forthcomig in late summer / autumn
    Various Twenty Centuries Of Stony Sleep
    Motorpsycho Timothy´s Monster (4CD edition)
    Supersilent 10, 11 and 12?
    Scorch Trio
    Ultralyd

Yeah!

Might be some MotorSilent on Supersilent 10,11 and 12 too?

Posted 9 years ago #
  19. supernaut

4CD Timmy edition? Could it be they would really consider.....???

Posted 9 years ago #
  20. Un.Chien.d.Espace

great news,

did you noticed that the last release from rune grammofon was RCD 2099 - Stian Westerhus: Pitch Black Star Spangled and the next announced so far is RCD 2101 - Phonophani: Kreken ... so RCD 2100 is missing maybe timothy's monster will be RCD 2100...

Posted 9 years ago #
  21. Seattle Psychonaut

This is SOOO cool!. Music nerds like me love this stuff. Especially with Motorpsycho. Their EP's are often as good and better than some of the standard releases. This set should be great.

And sorry, the Starless version I have is the same one as on the link.

Finally, I would be happy to put together a Grateful Dead mix. I will get together with you on it.

I'm out of the hospital, home and getting better. Rock on all. I'll be in the forums more later.

Peace,
    Seattle Psychonaut

Posted 9 years ago #
  22. norman

today on g35:

"There will be news coming on this soon....the archive-digging is still taking place, which is why nothing has been announced yet.

cheers,
    J."

Posted 9 years ago #
  23. supernaut

Archive and 4 CDs and Timmy as title.... so might it be the Oya live version peppered up with old tapes from around 93 and 94?

Posted 9 years ago #
  24. GBD

That would be cool, but i doubt that considering that they aim towards releasing it before the Øya Gig.

By the way...i wonder if the Øya Crew is considering streaming this year also, as they did back in 2006?! In that case we're in for a real treat!

Posted 9 years ago #
  25. supernaut

i doubt that considering that they aim towards releasing it before the Øya Gig.

uh oh, my hopes are slightly damped.

(stupid me. too much soccer, my brain's overloaded)

Posted 9 years ago #
  26. toresan

Here's the last tweet from Stickfrau:

is writing liner notes, proofreading other liner notes and trying to remember what happened 15 years ago.

Posted 9 years ago #
  27. stereosofa

stickfrau needs our help

Date: 2010/7/2
    Subject: [g35] need discography help!
    To: g35@totem.fix.no

Hi everybody,

As some/most of you probably know, we're in the middle of compiling the booklet for the new-and-improved Timothy's Monster boxset. It's going to contain a ton of information.

Our problem: the band can't find their original Sony archive copy, we never had one, and Sony only has Stickman stock on hand (?), so nobody can tell us the original catalog number on the cover. If any of you have this record in your collection, can you let me know this number? I found the following on the oh-so-reliable Interwebz, but can't confirm it: 489.738.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Jeannette

Germany
    Tel: ++49 - (0)40 - 726 98 510
    stickman@stickman-records.de
    http://www.stickman-records.de

Posted 9 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.