Here Be Monsters

(143 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by thewebguy
  • Latest reply from Vortex155

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. Netsrak

well - I hope not.
    Because, with all due respect, that would be quite unccol, imo: calling him by his birth name. I mean - who does that? I would suspect not even Imam would.
    And it would impose something like: "we know him so well, we'll call him RJ"
    Not the mind of behaviour I would expect from MP...

I was wondering about RJ myself, of course. But have got no real clue...

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. supernaut

I recently read a quote by Iman that she has always seen him as David Jones, not Bowie. As a man and husband, not as the star. Anyway MP can call him what they like and they've never been strangers to riddles on album sleeves. But I didn't even think of RJ as a hint to Bowie (which I'd consider to be a nice thing), rather to a close friend to the band...

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. to me the pictures on the left side of the lp-cover (inside) form the letters rj. but if that is true it may refer to the mentioned rj and that one can not be bowie, as i am sure the layout was ready before bowies dead.

btw: i listened to the album first time yesterday and 3 times since. i like it all the way, and even more than bts, because it sounds more homogenous. great sound and it really gets deep.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. marc

So, after many listens I must say that finally I've thoroughly fallen for the new record. At first, i compared HBM to other albums, but now I must say that, although there of course is a lot of self referencing after such a long career, it has a unique vibe of its own. Also, my initial perception that SpinSpinSpin does not blend in well is no longer valid. Contrary, I think it is the most coherent effort since maybe LTEC and it delivers consistent quality throughout the whole running time. Hats off!

btw, i randomly listened to HBM right after David Bowie's Blackstar and...wow...such a nice soothing continuation. Goes along very well!

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. Vortex155

Time to look for my old MP-Tshirt & hit a concert next months to come
    I haven't bought the record yet, in doubt to buy via the tour, the record store of one of the digital stream sites.#firtsworldproblems

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. Netsrak

HBM shouts for being played in it's entirety!
    Don't you think?

I'm not sure wether it was PHANEROTHYME it IALC that was being played from front to back, but for me it's about time they do it once again with HBM.
    It's such a round, well sequenced record. Love it!

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. kjellepelle

Dagsavisen

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. mikke

HBM shouts for being played in it's entirety!

Yeah!

Or will they try to recreate the teknisk museum thing?

What about the "to be continued...": will HBM, the track, be played
    or released in some format?

Is to possible to do all the nice singing & details on HBM live?

Can Ståle (when he comes back) add even more cool tangents on top of all this?

Does is make sense to let Ståle join Thomas on stage, would be very cool!?

Which old songs will blend best with the new stuff? Some nice selections from ltec&phanerothyme will fit nicely with spin,spin,spin?

Will the wheel be played inside big black dog?

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. Kid A

The possibilities with old songs are endless. LTEC and Phanerothyme comes up in mind first of course. But I can imagine some Timothy´s Monster stuff as well. The grungy vibe of this record would fit perfectly with the slow gloomy HBM stuff. And I´m hoping so much for some David Bowie tribute, Space Oddity would fit in perfectly, don´t you think And it would be a dream come true, if Baard Slagsvold would join them again for the tour. The gigs together with him had some of the most wonderful moments I heard from MP live. The Doors, anyone?

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. supernaut

I'd be suprised if they'd focus on those albums for the tour. It'd be too conceptionally retro, though I wouldn't mind to hear some IALC stuff again. And Slow Phaseout or For Free maybe. I don't really see HBM as a return to something, more than yet another additional colour. For the shows I'd like them to rawk out, IMS, The Promise, Mantrick Muffin Stomp, Alchemyst... And Un Chien d'Espace, haven't seen that one since 2000 I think.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. ThorEgil

Well, the only thing certain about the tour is that Kenneth plays Paiste cymbals exclusively, Bent and Snah play whatever they want to, but really like Frank Stavem guitars a lot.
    And that Monsters - the song - will be played, and sold as a 12" (provided it's ready from the vinyl press).

And even that's not certain.

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. grindove

YESSS! Great album! Thanks a LOT!

After third listen I started to skip "Spin...". It's really good, they do it very, very well, beautiful playing, impressive singing etc, but being a tune I'm already familiar with, it sort of ruins the whole "new album" feel for me, and hey, I'm not even THAT familiar with the song. But being placed first on side B, it's extremely easy to skip So, I shouldn't complain, but would have prefered to see it as a single-only (or part of an EP).

Luckily, I don't get any of the "LTEC"/"IALC"/"Phanerothyme" vibes some forumists mention, except for maybe some note combos. Those are good albums (with a few totally amazing tracks), but I'm already willing to say I like "HBM" more, and I'm super happy to not get a feeling of something already released, in that way.

I'm looking forward to hear Kenneth a bit more upfront and hungry again. If not happening, I'll claim it's waste of talent His work on "Behind The Sun" is beyond stunning, AND it's not show-off for the sake of it, but truly lifts the songs (I'm actually most impressed by what he's doing in the soft parts there, and to me that's top musician quality). But, as already told by others, his more laidback/anonymous approach here on "HBM" fits the material, because - yes - he really IS one of the very best drummers ever! But I'm sure I'll get more Kenneth on next album. Or, maybe as soon as on the soon to be released 12"? Which I run the risk of missing, due to impossibility to catch a show on the tour

Ouff, too much crap... I basically just dropped in to say:
    I'd be surprised if "Here Be Monsters" is not my favorite album of 2016 by the end of the year. Total love!

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. CaptainAubrey

Great album, nice production, good songs, but too short!

"Running with Scissors" reminds me of how much i liked "in the fishtank...".

Bring on the tour....

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. kjellepelle

Mojo 269 April 2016

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. ThorEgil

Approved by The Sid. Prog Magazine #64

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. kjellepelle

Shindig#54/2016

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. harry

http://www.kindamuzik.net/recensie/motorpsycho/here-be-monsters-25/26603/

Review in Dutch from the always well informed online magazine.

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. Great King Rat

Hahaha, just read this now in the SID.Prog Magazine article:

"... dramatic journey that feels bound to the slow movement of stars, connected to something that is ancient and steepd in ritual and leading to an inevitable, cathartic denouement."

That actually sounds quite like Lovecraft! For him though, it would have been "doomed" instead of "cathartic"!

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. stereosofa

Finally Motorpsycho arrived at our local library in Lüneburg, Germany - new entry 03/2016:

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. Halitosis

The first couple of times I listened to Running With Scissors, I couldn't quite work out what it reminded me of.

Then I remembered: Abendspaziergang.

It's far from a perfect match, but it's just got that sort of bounce and theme to it.

[edit] Actually, KR-3 just popped up on Shuffle and there's a bit of that in there as well.

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. nicoot

My review for Dutch prog mag iO Pages 135 (only physical, not to be found online). Written a week after I got to hear the album, due to deadline... (in Dutch)

Bovenstaande tekening van twee vleermuisjes onder een zeshoek is geen alternatieve versie
    van David Bowie’s Blackstar, maar een nieuwe dosis cinematografische psychedelica van
    Motorpsycho. Tot zover de Bowie-gelijkenis. Motorpsycho is dat eclectische Noorse drietal,
    gekend om hun onverwachte stilistische uithalen in een twintigtal albums (in een kwarteeuw).
    Deze schijf rockt minder dan opgefokte voorgangers Behind The Sun en Still Life With
    Eggplant, maar is met vlagen hypnotiserender, zoals in de 18 minuten durende afsluiter, over
    de maandenlange Scandinavische winternacht, waar de titel een metafoor vormt voor
    depressie en futloosheid (‘Sunlight, please find me…’). Here Be Monsters kent zijn oorsprong
    in een unieke compositie die slechts eenmaal live werd opgevoerd in november 2014, maar
    waar later nog duchtig aan werd gesleuteld. De plaat start met het slaapdeuntje Sleepwalking
    op piano en gaat naadloos over in Lacuna/Sunrise, dat enigszins doet denken aan Pink Floyd’s
    Breathe. Bent Sæther’s basspel is lekker vol en kraakhelder (net als de gehele albumproductie
    zijner hand) en Snah’s atmosferische gitaarspel om duimen en vingers bij af te likken (maar
    niet van de stroperigheid). Running With Scissors is een instrumentale jam die lustig
    voortkabbelt op een dromerig fusionesque melodie (op dwarsfluit!), waarna I.M.S. na een
    Moon Safari-pianodeuntje als opening, al snel de zwaardere Hiwatt-versterkers opendraait om
    er een vlammende stoner-rocker uit te persen die niet had misstaan op Heavy Metal Fruit
    (2010). Hier herkennen we weer die motorpsychedelische vocale signatuur (een harmonie van
    zang/schreeuw tot in de hoogste spectra). De B-kant begint met een cover van Spin, Spin,
    Spin, een zomers sixties-folkdeuntje met een sinistere twist waarin nog geen hipsters, maar
    hippies de plak zwaaiden. Na een kort intermezzo (Sleepwalking Again), wordt afgesloten
    met de bombastische hypnosesessie Big Black Dog. Een cleane gitaartokkel zal je in de eerste
    minuten vredig doen mijmeren over die eerste lentezon op je huid. Niets is echter wat het lijkt
    wanneer na enkele minuten een orkestraal amalgaam van gitaar, bas, mellotron, vele laagjes
    atonale toetsen en akelig sterke harmonische zang (en opvallend rustig drumwerk) als een
    kille wind zijn intrede doet en een eeuwige winter je in zijn inktzwarte greep houdt. Motorpsycho slaagt erin na twintig albums nog even fris voor de dag te komen. Uniciteit in
    diversiteit. En zeggen dat we later dit jaar onze dorst nog mogen laven aan een gelimiteerde
    12” editie van het halfuur durende ‘Monsters’, een lied dat wegens plaatsgebrek uiteindelijk
    niet op de hier beschreven plaat is terechtgekomen.

Posted 4 years ago #
  22. ThorEgil

Seems like the HBM vol 2 is now available in the web-shop - until the end of the tour on May 14th.
    shop.motorpsycho.no

Edit: Also at Stickman-records.com

Posted 4 years ago #
  23. Vortex155

Ok seems I have to go for the 12" also, that Monster half hour song must be epic

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.