Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

gear talk

Posted by marc 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
marc
gear talk
October 30, 2008 12:18AM
this thread is meant to be a place to tell everybody about your desires and opinions concerning musical equipment!

as for my part:

- i got me a nord lead 2 a while ago and bought me a roland pk-5 floorboard, so i can use it as some sort of moog taurus substitute (wall of sound!!!).......actually it's even more flexible, since you can add and switch any desired synth-sound while playing bass/guitar

- i think i fell in love with the jack casady-bass...think this will be my next investment.....any advice or opinions on that one?

eager to hear your tech talk!thumbs up smiley
Re: gear talk
October 30, 2008 12:26PM
Nice initiative man. Though this thread is quite similar to the "gear" thread i created some time ago

[motorpsycho.fix.no]

I can change the topic, so that we can continue where we left off, as my main focus was guitar related gear.
Or we can start up fresh with this one. Your call!

BTW I luuuv the Nord Lead!
marc
October 30, 2008 04:25PM
starting this thread was quite spontaneous. but i vaguely remembered that there ws something like that a while ago. anyway, let's see how long this one will survive!
JT
October 31, 2008 06:47PM
The jack cassidy bass is cool, great bang for the buck.
Regarding the nord lead, since we have a hammond c3, rhodes mk1, clavinet d6 and a wurlitzer 200 in our rehearsal space we are quite spoiled. I don`t think the nord lead sounds nearly as good, but is way more practical.

I think I posted a list over all my stuff in the other thread. Nevertheless, I play a 77 rickenbacker 4001 through a Hiwatt custom 100 head. And for guitars I play a 66 gibson non-reverse firebird, a 67 gibson sg junior and a fender custom telecaster through a sound city 120 stack from around 1970. As far as effects go I have the mk1 sovtek big muff and a roland re-201 space echo.

Watch out for some new post rock from Trondheim in the near futuresmiling smiley

Jan Tore
marc
October 31, 2008 08:07PM
oh man, rickenbacker, hiwatt, i'll never be able to afford these....haha..i envy you scandinavian bands anyway. is it really that comfortable concerning financial support by the government?
October 31, 2008 11:26PM
I play an unknown cheap les paul through a Roland Cube60 right now, but I'm gonna buy a white Hagstrom Swede soon. Next on the what-I'm-going-to-buy-list is a fretless acoustic bass. Gotta have a telecaster as well... and a rickenbacker 330.. and the list goes on..
Gnappo
November 01, 2008 11:50AM
Hey guys, could someone suggest me some nice bass distortion pedals? I bet you're quite into it winking smiley
JT
November 01, 2008 03:37PM
Bass distortion? Like BS himself once said, Hiwatt custom 100 is all you need. But seriously, check out the russian big muffs. The older the better.
marc
November 01, 2008 04:00PM
i am using a distortion pedal by digitech and i like the sound quite a lot.
Gnappo
November 01, 2008 06:06PM
Well a hiwatt head probably is " way too much expensive" grinning smiley. Got a russian Pi already, but I'd like something sounding more traktorish, if you know what I mean!
JT
November 01, 2008 08:33PM
I know what you mean, but there are many good alternatives. Any vintage tube head around 100 watts should satisfy your sound ideals. I never really liked any bass effects. Amp ovedrive is alfa and omega. Sound city amps are very similar to hiwatts, i have one of these as well. Fender bassman heads are also cool, and old marshalls. But they are getting more pricier than hiwatts. You will never regret saving up for a hiwatt. Good luck!
November 02, 2008 01:52AM
Get the SansAmp for Bass, it's great gear to recommend. Acts like a DI-box, but you can get different sounds that you can store. Even got a few disto's in it as I can remember which all sound superb! Not the cheapest ting to buy, but then again, if you need the sound, it's worth the price....
Oh yeah, Tech 21 makes them, in case you wanna have a listen or take a look at their site.
A lot of sound engineers adore these things, so it mus be good!
marc
November 02, 2008 03:56AM
right now my live setup looks like this:

epiphone thunderbird (the inverted one) -> ehx octaver -> digitech bass distortion -> fender bassman -> earth cabinet
Magnusgabriel
November 02, 2008 07:18AM
I'm just wondering if any of you guys know what kind of acoustic guitars they use/have used? I suspect a Martin D28 or the like?
November 02, 2008 12:05PM
Since I got an undistortable Ampeg SVT-II head for my bass, I use the V-Twin pre amp. It gives you one smooth overdrive channel and another one way way far out überdriven, without losing or washing out any low ends. Which is mostly the problem with bass distortion. But with this thingy you can actually add some without even mushing anything up. Got it's price though, but well worth it.

http://www.musikland-online.de/pix/onlineshop/Mesa-Boogie-V-Twin-PreAmp-Pedal.jpg
December 29, 2008 03:37AM
What about Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Vs. Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (RUSSIA)

Is the bass version really beter for bass-use?
Back to Motorpsycho home page