Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motorpsycho; Too buy or not too buy

Posted by karma defect 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Motorpsycho; Too buy or not too buy
November 25, 2008 12:59AM
Hey everybody

I wanted to tell a story and see what other people think about my experience this afternoon.
Because of some shopping I needed to do for a Dutch tradtional holiday I went for an afternoon in the center of town. After visiting a few music stores something occured to me. Not one single shop that I visited had a decent selection of Motorpsycho albums.
I was wondering how is that in your city? Do the stores offer a wide selection?
My favoutite shop couldn´t offer me a proper selection. Off course I have all the albums I want so there is no need to supply me, but that is beside the point. They had the latest two albums and Tussler two. I was a bit serprised as I feel that a selfrespecting store should have at least five different albums.
After that I happend to walk into a shopped that was started by a hippie back in the day. He named his store Free record shop, but somehow the idealisme went and all is left is a commercial enterprise. I knew this up front and didn´t expect to find it, but did so because I was looking through the stand with bands beginning with an M.
The last store I visted didn´t have much either, but at least they had more than the others. They had; Little lucid moments, In the fish tank, Serpentine E.P., It’s a love cult, Walking with J. E.P.
All in all a poor score for the underground kings of Europe. How is it where you live?
Re: Motorpsycho; Too buy or not too buy
November 25, 2008 11:27AM
Same here.
jonne
November 25, 2008 11:49AM
tbh: i don't think it's in the shopkeepers' interests to store (a substantial part of) mp's back catalogue. the public intersted in buying those cd's/vinyls will have them by now. having said so, i would like to see the whole catalogues in stock at any time as well.

the flagship stores of the big chains here in London (hmv; zavvi etc.) usually stock the more recent releases (llm, bh/bc, tussler 2, fishtank etc), and every now and then a promo or other rarity pops up in one of the 2nd hand stores; recently I was lucky enough the find the timothy's monster 1cd edition.
November 25, 2008 11:59AM
It's not much better in Norway either. Platekompaniet will have some of their stuff, but you have to go to underground stores and second hand shops to find the rest.. You have to be prepared to do a bit of hunting, but isn't that half the fun? smiling smiley
November 25, 2008 01:31PM
Has anyone checked the rack at Concerto in Amsterdam lately?
Haven't been there for years, but they used to have a lot back in the day...
November 25, 2008 02:22PM
They don't have records in record stores anymore, but DVDs and games. Shop online.
mybestfriend83
November 25, 2008 05:26PM
What ???? I thouhgt in Norway they are really kind of famous ???
Thats a "bad Surprise"...
Even if i`m Happy with having no screaming girlies on the concerts or stupid young dudes with linkin Park shirts, i would be satisfied if i knew that the guys get enough money to live the way they want if they dont....

Im from the Ruhrarea in Germany near the Dutch border and in my town we got one or two littele stores who always have the latest MP Record. But they only have it one time and i am allways the first to buy it ... lol
We have also since a few months a big record store in an Electronic Market. At the so called "Indepentent" table there is a category named Motorpsycho but its been allways empty sine it had opened...
There was once a big store in a town nearby where they had some of their older an newer records but it was closed down.

I knew a well sorted record shop in Venlo who has some older Records and the latest...
But it was not the Free Record shop which are like a Supermarket chain in Netherland i guess... lol
November 25, 2008 05:35PM
Free Record Shop is now also referred to as Record Free Shop in The Netherlands. Quite correct.
November 25, 2008 07:09PM
Here in Oslo MP are well represented. I've seen almost complete discographies at both Platekompaniet and Big Dipper (both albums and EP/singles). Tiger also has a substantial amount of their disco.
oystein w.
November 25, 2008 08:20PM
in stavanger it is only my own shop (mefisto) that has a selection of motorpsycho albums (yes, both on cd and lp)
(hmm, there is only one other record shop left now, which of corpse is platekompaniet....)
jonne
November 25, 2008 08:49PM
@ruuntje: last time i was at concerto (few months ago), their selection was very poor. and as Get Records used to have decent stock, but they have now closed.
Rob
November 25, 2008 09:19PM
Most of my MP albums come from Bullit here in Eindhoven. They used to have a decent MP selection in the nineties. The shop has unfortunately closed, and over the last years when I visited I don't think I saw a big MP selection anymore. As argued earlier in the thread, I don't think it makes much sense for record stores to carry a large back catalogue. Stock = investments that may never pay themselves back, which many stores cannot afford anymore these days.
November 25, 2008 09:30PM
Actually, since that damn gamer and dvd giant (can't actually remember the name, since i refuse to go in there - perhaps GameZone) went and smashed our last remaining cd shops, we've been without any music shops in my town (Bodø - about 40 000 citizens - go figure). There's an independent one that has opened a few weeks ago, but i haven't checked it out yet. But i think it's safe to say that it's looking bleak MP wise. No worries tho. I get my drug anyway smiling smiley
November 25, 2008 11:16PM
Marty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Record Free Shop

LOL You´ll find no argument here.grinning smiley
Gnappo
November 29, 2008 03:34AM
Here in Italy is a mess. You can't know how much I've been lookin for their LPs around here. By now, I've only managed to find Blissard, Trust Us and Phanerothyme. Same for CDs, but recently I've found out that Fnac shops have a gorgeous collection of ALL their discography, including EPs and the VOW stuff...had an heartache when I saw that fuckin 8 soothing songs for Ruth layin there all alone grinning smiley
jtr
November 29, 2008 10:34PM
Here its also very bleak Motorpsycho-wise. I dunno about Vienna and the bigger cities, because I tend not to look for MP records (I already have them all except oddballs and I don't really buy vinyl anymore), but I know there is one store in Klagenfurt where I live that has MP -- but only because I told them to order a couple of records. I was on good terms with the people there for a long time and they had a really strong collection and a neat alternative section. This had died together with my good friend there (RIP), sadly. The other stores are MP-less. (and of course, they have nothing else I would want... amazon is nowadays my CD store...and I hate buying CDs that way, even though it is convenient, I always liked browsing a shop myself)

What I can tell about Norway, as I went into every CD-shop looking for obscure Norwegian black metal bands whose records are hard to obtain here, is, that MP is kinda represented everywhere, but certainly not in a way one would expect. I think there were also very few MP CDs at Platekompaniet Trondheim, which is a shame.
November 30, 2008 12:10PM
I really don't see what the problem is here, i mean, you can always sing the songs for yourself.Like i do, for example, i sing two MP songs in the morning (mostly my best friend and blinfolded) while doing breakfast, then at lunch i do a lot of freaking out with songs like heart attack mac and psychonaut stuff like that, you know and offcourse the whole roadwork sessions at night.So...fak buying record man and get creative.Maybe another reason to overcome fears to sing along during the concerts.

oh yeh, you definitely have to check out the airguitar i play on my genitals during whip that ghost.
Rob
November 30, 2008 07:54PM
Another great contribution from Mark. This is an on-topic post but apparently it is too much to ask from you to restrict your random cackling to the OT threads (which I can at least decide to skip).
K
December 01, 2008 10:03AM
Rob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another great contribution from Mark. This is an
> on-topic post but apparently it is too much to ask
> from you to restrict your random cackling to the
> OT threads (which I can at least decide to skip).

+1
December 01, 2008 10:49AM
..and the battle rolls on...
Back to Motorpsycho home page