Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

19-10-2008 Doornroosje, Nijmegen

Posted by Arno 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
19-10-2008 Doornroosje, Nijmegen
October 20, 2008 12:27AM
Must have been something like this (sorry I saw the setlist but I am not 100% sure):

LLM
Serpentine
You Lose
Landslide
Song f/a Bro
Superstooge
Hogwash
Coalmine Pony
Inside Looking Out
Sunship
---
Heartattack Mac
Alchemist
---
Plan #1
Re: 19-10-2008 Doornroosje, Nijmegen
October 20, 2008 03:30AM
Just got home after a long drive. But it was all definitely worth it. Eight time I've seen them, first with Kenneth. My impressions:

Starting with LLM was a blast, Serpentine in the new arrangement is working great and improving the song, You Lose was the best version I've heard them play live (did I hear a quote of Deep Purple's Hush in there?). Landslide new version was not my cup of tea, Whip That Ghost was great, very raw and jazzy, really nice interaction between the guys. From then on things would get even louder. Superstooge, Hogwash, Coalmine Pony - a triple stoner treat, heavy as fuck, the cover song was decent, Sunship was one big noisefest - VERY loud.

First encore H-Mac: drony, very noisy. Alchemist was all Kenneth taking off (Snah broke a string but managed to make it to the end). Then second encore, I was hoping for either Vortex Surfer or Taifun (Hey, Trust Us is my fav record of all time), and they played both songs in the last week, but we got an nice Plan #1 and that was it. Total running time 2 hours and 30 minutes.

All in all very nice setlist though no real surprises. No Year Zero for me, nor a Taifun, but then I was happy with hearing You Lose again (an underrated song in my opinion) and loved the new Serpentine. Superstooge, H-Mac and final encore Plan #1 were also highlights Alchemist is a fine addition to the other legendary setclosers (Golden Core, Vortex), an absolute classic, on record as well as live. This show will go into my top three MP-shows.

Also bought the Snah Is God-shirt (LOL), a nice hoody and the coloured vinyl. Seriously considering going to Paradiso on tuesday.
October 20, 2008 08:25AM
Pure power, pure beauty - so nice, knocked me off again ....
October 20, 2008 08:38AM
Nice setlist. Sounds, yet again, like a great MP gig. I agree that "You Loose" is underrated. It's one of my favourites from BH/BC.

cheers
Gustav
October 20, 2008 08:47AM
thx !!!!! Glad to see no complains bout the sound, do everybody has his fav. for me a little surprise to see they skiped Sail on, but there then again superstooge is a good one live.Tonight is my night then, finally!!!!! Lets hope for a great sound so i can fry my brains!!! Hope everybody had a great time on this tour, psychonauts rule, forever.
October 20, 2008 09:51AM
The setlist as I took it down is completely the same as the one above, only with the exception that they quoted Can's Halleluwah during Hogwash.

It looks well for tonight and tomorrow, see you all in Watt and Paradiso!

Greets,

Thomas
October 20, 2008 04:23PM
Sounds like a nice concert you've witnessed.

Is Paradiso sold out yet?
Rob
October 20, 2008 09:11PM
Vdude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like a nice concert you've witnessed.
>
> Is Paradiso sold out yet?

Not according to their website but I would reserve a ticket anyway. The gig in Doornroosje did sell out but it's a much smaller venue. Don't know the exact size but it can't have been more than a few hundred people. It was my first time there and I liked the place and the atmosphere. Reminds me a bit of the old Effenaar (but smaller).

The concert was really good, and and I mostly agree with Marty's description of it (some posts up). Much energy, great interaction on stage, crowd was very enthousiastic. Still, for whatever reason it did not have the same impact on me as the show I saw this spring (Eindhoven) and I don't really know why... must have been my own mood. LLM as an opener was great! I can imagine more interesting setlists, but then again, the only song that didn't work for me was Landslide. Inside Looking Out worked very well and the new Serpentine wipes the floor with versions 1 and 2. Towards the end of the regular set (Sunship) the sound got a bit messy due to the huge amounts of noise. Plan #1 was a relatively plain vanilla closer. Let's see what Paradiso brings!
October 20, 2008 09:27PM
So, if I'm right they played a cover (Inside Looking Out by The Animals), or my Motorpsycho collection of 32 albums and EPs (228 songs) is incomplete after all... Are there more songs they cover regularly?

Forgot 'Sing for a Bro' is 'Whip That Ghost' (from Let Them Eat Cake), I definitely should work on the mp3 titles ...

Great gig, very loud though, with some sound problems in the beginning (Bent calling the PA guy 'hey fellow'; saw a Doornroosje lady crawling behind the PA to fix it!).

And got a nice MP army bag (which they did not sell in the Effenaar last May spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ).

Antoine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2008 09:41PM by MrKreukel.
b-mineur
October 21, 2008 08:51PM
This gig made me an adult-psychonaut, this being my 18th MP-gig.
And well... It wasn't my night.. I just couldn't get in to it....
For the first time I did not have an overall good feeling after a MP-show.
Bad sound from where I stood.. the mix where I stood just was not right... way too much Snah.. too little of Bent..
Low stage, so projections were hardly visible.. No noticable lightshow..
Snah was a very experimental at times, but maybe due too some (technical) difficulties also quite (very) messy...
Singing just was not very good (bad sound on stage?). Mic-problems (annoying pops/clicks).
Not my favourite setlist.
They started with a sometimes very good and experimental LLM.
Although Serpentine was an imho better version than in spring, the original version works best for me. Same with Landslide.
(somehow I like too sing a long <out loud or in my head> with the pop-era songs, and then the change of melody works against that)
Song for a Bro: I missed keys on this one...
Superstooge; good, but nothing special
Hogwash; good
Coalmine pony: don't like this song live...
Sunship was definitely the Highlight of the evening: this was very very good and noisy...
First encores: I've seen these a lot better in spring...
Plan #1: nice..... :-)
I hoped they were gonna better the next day in rotterdam....
October 27, 2008 12:53PM
October 30, 2008 08:48PM
Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Review:
> 3 voor 12 / ArnhemNijmegen

Nice review
thumbs up
Back to Motorpsycho home page