Hovmod

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 109 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: Unannounced gig @ Eat The Rich, 2011-08-26!!! #20110
    Hovmod
    Participant

I did not recognize the song in the middle of Hogwash.

Anybody ID that?

in reply to: Unannounced gig @ Eat The Rich, 2011-08-26!!! #20109
      Hovmod
      Participant

Easily top ten, probably top five!

Feelgood vibes like never before, laughing and dancing and jumping around on that tiny stage (which of course is ground zero for MP).

And save for a few mistakes forgotten and forgiven, tight as a gnat's twat!

I loved every minute of it, and I hope one or more of those handheld recorders belongs to a sharing individual.

There were some moments last night I wouldn't mind hearing over: Snah in Guitar God Mode, Kenneth is a mutant, and Bent…

Nothing to Say made me cry.

In ten years, ten thousand people will claim they were there. :D

in reply to: Very unfavourable motorsilent review #16752
        Hovmod
        Participant

Hahaha – pÃ¥ Steinkjer veit dæm ka mussikk e forno, sjø.

“All ære til begge bandene for være kompromissløse, og ikke søke Ã¥ bli popstjerner, men et sted gÃ¥r grensen”

Ja, hvor GÃ…R egentlig grensen for “kompromissløs”?

in reply to: Motorpsycho and Supersilent tour #12135
          Hovmod
          Participant

Dunno what happened last night, it just sort of … stopped.

Should be going again now.

in reply to: Motorpsycho and Supersilent tour #12131
            Hovmod
            Participant

Looks like a few of you have started the download. :MPD:

in reply to: Motorpsycho and Supersilent tour #12130
              Hovmod
              Participant
                in reply to: Motorpsycho and Supersilent tour #12129
                Hovmod
                Participant

I’m setting it up for a dime upload.

I’ll let you know.

in reply to: Motorpsycho and Supersilent tour #12126
                  Hovmod
                  Participant

Listening to Bomb-Proof now. Goosebumps.

in reply to: Motorpsycho and Supersilent tour #12125
                    Hovmod
                    Participant
                      in reply to: Motorpsycho and Supersilent tour #12118
                      Hovmod
                      Participant

At times I felt that THIS was the best concert ever.

There were moments where they out-pinkfloyded Pink Floyd, and there were moments where they damn near out-motorpsychoed Motorpsycho. Outstanding.

I recorded it, but I hope there are other recordings, because I left the zoom near a speaker at the back that turned out to be in use throughout, so we can only use mine if it turns out to be the only one around. I met a guy with an Edirol, hopefully he’s on Dime…

in reply to: “Record of the week” and a new HMF review. #16160
                        Hovmod
                        Participant
                          in reply to: “Record of the week” and a new HMF review. #16158
                          Hovmod
                          Participant
                            Quote:
                            Lydverket:

http://www.nrk.no/lydverket/motorhvem/ you can find it on last nights lydverket radio aswell

Quick and dirty translation:

Motorwho?

Even out of context, Heavy Metal Fruit is a first class experience.

Motorpsycho is, like the Heavy Metal press kit says, an institution in Norwegian music. Twenty years, heaps of EPs, and (with this) fourteen or sixteen studio albums, depending on how you count, have left us a gigantic musical universe to explore. A universe which is even in constant evolution, and in addition is eclectic and diverse. All the band members, whoever they are at any point in time, leave distinct sonic tracks, and its getting hard to compare Motorpsycho with anything but earlier versions of Motopsycho. A great feat by the band, but quite frustrating for those outside of the fanbase, as thorough reviews of Motorpsycho tend to become full of references that only those who really don’t need to read them understand.

So let’s posit that an album should be able to stand on its own feet and pretend this is the first Motorpsycho album ever. And ignore that these boys are horribly confident and musically mature for newcomers. *cough*

The first time you put on Heavy Metal Fruit you might think your speakers are connected to the wrong channel, as the album starts with a long sequence of apparent silence. Things start to percolate in these channels after a bit, first unnoticeable, then louder until the opening track, Starhammer, explodes in an unusually hairy Deep Purple’ish riff with keyboardorgan and vocals so nasal that they rival Black Debbath’s Lars Lønning. If the combination of the album title and this opening convinces you that Motorpsycho is a metal band, you’ll soon have to think again, because Starhammer soon falls into a jazz drone that, if nothing else, shows that this band has great faith in the listener.

After nine somewhat unnecessary minutes of this, however, it’s non-stop fun all the way to the finish line. The six tracks on the album have enough melodic material for three times that, and demonstrate a wealth of inspiration never before seen in Norwegian music, perhaps ever. South state rock, gospel chior, heavy metal, psychedelia, a hint of Beach Boys; Motopsycho apparently have no understanding of genre, at least not genres understood as boundaries.

Words like “Jazz drones” and “Psychedelia” however risk alienating many who could benefit from this album: Motorsycho are severe, but not nasty, and there’s more than enough rock, roll and groove between all the spacey bits to satisfy the greenest of listeners. The riffs, the drums, everything is first class, but the most delicious of all is the fact that we now have a band in Norway who dare think as large and ambitious as this. How many bands, Norwegian or not, do you know who sounds like Allman Brothers one moment and that gospel-album from spiritualized the next, without sounding pretentious?

Let’s finish the exercise we started earlier with a simple fact – Motorpsycho quite simply kick all last year’s other newcomers’ asses.

in reply to: “Record of the week” and a new HMF review. #16156
                            Hovmod
                            Participant

“Record of the week” is an understatement, if I ever heard one…

in reply to: Heavy Metal Fruit lyrics #16025
                              Hovmod
                              Participant

OK, at the very end of GT, are you sure it’s “give it love”? I hear “give it light”…

in reply to: January new album!!! #14967
                                Hovmod
                                Participant

Agree an all accounts.

Well written and thought out for a quick and dirty review, mate!

Chapeau!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 109 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994