Great King Rat

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 234 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: facetetumultumnonbellum #35452
    Great King Rat
    Participant

It seems to be Latin, although it should be "facite", not "facete". And it was most likely translated into Latin from the English version cited above (which is an adaptation of the old hippie slogan "Make love, not war"), instead of being an original Latin phrase, as one might think.

in reply to: The Crucible reviews #34954
      Great King Rat
      Participant

Lol, pfnuesel, "when" instead of "if" is exactly the right way to put it. Excellent!

in reply to: The Crucible reviews #34952
        Great King Rat
        Participant

Agreed, DeepL seems to produce better results in English than Google. Or is that due to Dutch being closer to English and thus easier translatable?

in reply to: The Crucible reviews #34951
          Great King Rat
          Participant
            Quote:
            "Motorpsycho whistle again on predictable song structures" :lol:

Yeah, that one is brilliant! "Auf etwas pfeifen" literally translates as "whistle on sth.", while a proper translation would be sth. like "don't give a damn about sth." A good example for the limits of translation programs: idoms.

in reply to: The Crucible reviews #34925
            Great King Rat
            Participant

I'm also looking forward to hearing it. But the review …?

This might be off topic but I still need to write it down 'cause it's been annoying me for years now. In Germany, music journalists tend to have a pretty wild style of writing. You get loads of strange metaphors and comparisons and generally very daring formulations. Maybe that's due to fact that it's difficult to describe music with words in the first place. So it might be true in other languauges as well, I don't know… But that guy beats them all! There's almost no sentence I don't stumble upon. Hardly have I encountered so many crooked images, grammatical violations, simply wrong words and logical mistakes in one text. I sort of understand what the author wants to say but when I read those sentences carefully I end up with a bad headache very soon. I consider that text an insult to anyone with a little bit of sprachgefühl (my dictionary says that can be used in English… a feel for language?). Call me a pedantic killjoy if you want to, but that text is absolutely terrible. Jeez, I need a beer now.

in reply to: New Music #34748
              Great King Rat
              Participant

Reading Tjaaaa's comment ("nice bandname"), I just remembered the best bandname in the world. The music's terrible in my ears, and it's been around for ages, so I'm breaking rule 1 and 4 big time. Still, I need to share this. They're called Duran Duran Duran! Still laughing my ass off after so many years…

in reply to: Motorpsycho live 2019 #33864
                Great King Rat
                Participant

I'm just hoping. Would fit in well, and two days off in a row are rather uncommon, I think. Yeah, Kulturetage would be good too, though nothing beats Schlachthof.

in reply to: Motorpsycho live 2019 #33862
                  Great King Rat
                  Participant

One of the two off-days after Hamburg is predestined for a Schlachthof gig in Bremen! Friday or Saturday night, either would be awesome. Also not unlikely, I guess, because the next scheduled show is in the NL, so logistically Bremen would merely be a stop on the way. Let's hope!

in reply to: What song is better on record than live? #34683
                    Great King Rat
                    Participant

For me, it's Wearing yr smell. I only heard it live once, last year, when they played that mellow version. That didn't do it for me at all. The original is such a groovy tune! Unfortunately I wasn't around in the early and mid-nineties when they still played it, and I couldn't make Oya a couple of years ago. So I don't know how it used to be live.

in reply to: Oh how I miss that Motorpsychodelic heaviness… #33488
                      Great King Rat
                      Participant

Completely on your side concerning Feedtime, supernaut!

in reply to: Oh how I miss that Motorpsychodelic heaviness… #33487
                        Great King Rat
                        Participant

@grindove: Name one! Come on, I'm curious. I've got one for you too: AEnema by Tool.

in reply to: Oh how I miss that Motorpsychodelic heaviness… #33481
                          Great King Rat
                          Participant

grindove, if those three albums don't match your indeed very strict parameters, is there an album – by any band – at all that does?

in reply to: Oh how I miss that Motorpsychodelic heaviness… #33459
                            Great King Rat
                            Participant

Post-Geb hits for me: The Alchemyst, Year Zero, possibly Hyena and The Promise. But that's it, really.

@ marc: I think I know what you mean by calling Geb's drumming melodic, though I wouldn't have used that word. The best word imho that describes his style is groovy. He was/is such a groovy drummer. A friend of mine put it this way: Geb groovt sogar beim Scheißen /Geb's even grooving when taking a crap.

@ grindove:

Quote:
                              but they've never done an album that I think is brilliant from start to finish.

Really? Not even Timothy's Monster? Trust us? Blissard?

in reply to: Oh how I miss that Motorpsychodelic heaviness… #33454
                              Great King Rat
                              Participant
                                Quote:
                                What i always loved most about the band was that special Snah-kind of guitar playing on the verge between riffing and strumming, which leaves Bent just enough space to add melody, harmonic shifts or sheer sonic force.

Couldn't agree more!

While there might be heavy songs on each album (except for the cake era, maybe) it's a certain 'simplicity' – in the best sense! – combined with that old heaviness that I miss. I thought Feedtime was the highlight of the 2016 shows, and I prefer songs like that over Hell anytime. Maybe it's an age thing that I've come to find those recent very complex song structures rather tiring.

Urgency is a great term indeed! And I just thought, that's something I miss with regard to another aspect – melody! Or maybe freshness/rawness would apply better here. On each record from the 90s there are melodies that I have completely absorbed and will stay with me and touch me till I'm dead. There are only very few tunes from the later eras that move me in the same way. Of course, that's highly subjective, but I still feel there was a different quality to those melodies back then. Or is that due to the guys being older and more settled? Or can't you assess that objectively at all? Or am I just a boring old fart that's stuck in the past? Help?

in reply to: MP feature @ Deutschlandfunk #32950
                                Great King Rat
                                Participant

And sorry, mefisto, I can't help you with that …

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 234 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994