bionaut

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: Motorpsycho and Hawkwind #34092
    bionaut
    Participant

I don't really hear Hawkwind in MP music. They did indeed cover Master of the Universe. 1998-05-12 Frankfurt has a good version. It's actually Young Man Blues > Master of the Universe. Still, I don't hear Hawkwind in MP at all really. I do hear Motorhead, so that means Lemmy. Bent channels Hawkwind-era Lemmy with his rhythm guitar style of bass playing and his energy to my ears.

As for Monster Magnet, I couldn't let that go by without a shout out to Dave and the boys. Love that band. I have seen Dave and Phil play since the Hard Attack days. I saw them for the first time in 1975, I believe it was. I have some humorous stories about my interactions with those guys. I played soccer with Phil in high school. I remember Phil was not too impressed with me, but I did surprise him with my deep appreciation for Space Ritual. Gonna seem them tomorrow night in Boston.

in reply to: Motorpsycho and Rush #33728
      bionaut
      Participant
        Quote:
        Despite the musical brilliance of the latter they don't touch me emotionally most of the time – at least not as much as MP does so throughout their massive history.

I agree!

in reply to: Motorpsycho and Rush #33723
        bionaut
        Participant

I have read this thread with great interest. I wonder if there are any other Americans involved in the discussion. It sounds like probably not, but I wonder. I read this forum to escape from the constant drumbeat of politics in the USA, and here it pops up where I least expect it! It's fascinating, though, because the discussion is so different from what I hear day in and day out.

I first saw Rush in March 1977 opening for Kansas in New Jersey. I saw them several more times over the next couple of years. Great band, though I stopped following them shortly after Hemispheres. Too proggy for me. By then, my main musical influences were already established with Hawkwind, Klaus Schulze, and The Stooges. I still listen to early Rush regularly.

I discovered MP about five years ago through Dime and Spacebandit, thank you very much! Though I have downloaded something like 200 MP shows from Dime and listened them all, I have never had the discretionary funds available to actually purchase any of their officially released music, nor have I ever had the good fortune to see even one live show. I am quite envious of those who have the opportunity!

That said, my two cents on the MP and Rush topic is that Caress of Steel is the Rush album I would be most inclined to associate with MP.

in reply to: Cross References #31726
          bionaut
          Participant

Superstooge reminds me of the Stooges song 'Fun House'.

in reply to: 2017-10-22 Bremen, Schlachthof #31063
            bionaut
            Participant

Anyone notice any connection to the Grimm Brothers tale, 'Bremen Town Musicians'? Un chien?

in reply to: Poll: How many shows have you attended? #31352
              bionaut
              Participant

Sadly, you should add a '0' option for your American friends :(

in reply to: Superstooge #29444
                bionaut
                Participant

MP has done a lot of unbelievable covers. Wow.

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994